2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 6:03 PM by OhMe OhMy

Can't Open Acrobat Reafer 9.3.2

OhMe OhMy

Have installed Acrobat Reader 9.3.2 on a new HP computer with an intel chip running Windows 7 home premium. 9.3.2 is set to preference Windows Vista service pack 2 (Can't find a setting for Windows 7). I have installed and uninstalled the Acrobat Reader several times. It has sometimes worked sporadically and at other times not at all. Some of the messages I have received are "Acrobat Reader has stopped working", "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server" and "Acro Rd32 is incompatible". Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't Open Acrobat Reafer 9.3.2
          370H55V Level 4

Generally this error comes from an anti-virus program blocking the  software from connecting, not to the internet, but to some other process via the DDE mechanism. Check your antivirus settings for any type of Software blocks  or firewall issues. If that doesn't work then uninstall and reinstall  the program again and see if your antivirus software then pops up with a message asking you for  permission to let it access the internet.

It's also been reported in 64 bit systems when trying to run reader from within IE 8 64 bit. Some people have had success using IE 832 bit from the Program Files X86 folder. Others have not.

Also, it's been suggested in some private circles that some  users began seeing this behavior (with Adobe Reader as the  default) after having installed Cumulative Security Update for IE  (KB978207) that was released on 21 January 2010.

I would NOT  recommend uninstalling or avoiding installing KB978207 because of this!  Should you have any questions about KB978207, contact MS Support:

For  home users, no-charge support is available by calling

1-866-PCSAFETY or

1-866-234-6020 or

1-800-936-5700

in  the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft  subsidiary.  There is no-charge for support calls that are associated  with security updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem  is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,  KB978207).

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft  subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International  Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available  through your usual support contacts.

I'm running Reader 9.3.2 on my Windows 7 Ultimate (X86) and have had no problems with it.

• 2. Re: Can't Open Acrobat Reafer 9.3.2
            OhMe OhMy Level 1

Thank you so much - the problem did relate to my antivirus software. I uninstalled Norton 360 Premier edition v 4.0 and took the computer back to its original state (it was only a week old). My Adobe problem went away. After running the computer without a problem for a week, I reloaded Norton 360. So far so good.