4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 3:13 AM by Andrew Yoole

backup video files to web?

straightlife Level 1

I've got about 20 firewire drives full of stuff.  Recently had a fire, here, with no drastic results, but it got me worried.

Is there any safe way to backup those drives to the ether?

I understand that the various backup entities break files into pieces.  I can't imagine how that would work for video files and comps.

Anybody had any experience with this?

• 1. Re: backup video files to web?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If it's really important, you might have better luck finding a local storage/ archival service or some relatives in another house and stowing some backup disks with them. I don't think that storing backups online is a viable alternative for the amount of data we are talking about. It will cost you a lot of money, since you do not get those Gigabytes for free anywhere and the uploads will be hairy. you are also always at risk of the provider going out of business or removing your files for whatever reasons. Directly related to potential fire damage, you might also consider a fire-hardened steel cabinet/ tresor. But as with all the other stuff, you still have to weigh the cost against the likelihood of a fire happening or any other damage occuring.... in the end, it may not be worth the trouble and expense, if you can't deduct is as a business investment.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: backup video files to web?
            straightlife Level 1

Thanks sooo much.  I've bought a 2T drive for a start.  Will send it to my daughter in Denver. (I'm in L.A., earthquakes, fires, riots, floods), Denver (dry skin, snow).

• 4. Re: backup video files to web?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

My backup strategy for my home system is pretty straightforward.  I have an  eSATA drive caddy like this one:

SH23SDOCK3.jpg

When jobs are complete, I backup the entire project from the primary RAID to a bare hard drive in the caddy.  Then I wrap the drive back in it's anti-static bag and store it safely.  For important work I make a second copy and store it off site. 1.5 TB drives are less than a hundred bucks and getting cheaper every month.