6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 2:00 AM by philRamses

URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?

philRamses Level 1

Hello,

I'm planing to build soon a new configuration for AE and i really need answers.

My usage of after effects is very cpu intensive (motion graphics, lots of 3d, light effects, and so on) + using a lot of scripts.

I was wondering... which option will give me the best results in those conditions?

One I7 980x with 24 go of ram
      or
      Two Xeon 5520 with 24 go of ram (or maybe 36go for this case)

I can't find a real answer on the web. I was first planning to get the dual xeon. Then I've realized that IF after effects use the cpu as extra amount of core, it won't be so usefull to me (especially regarding the fact that i'm using a lot of object relative expression - meaning failing with MP rendering enabled). Otherwise, IF AE use both cpu in a additive way, it will worth it (I mean, IF I don't need to enable MP Rendering to take benefits of both cpu)

I have also another question regarding the Quadro FX 4800... Since the Quadro CX is discontinued, and since it was an improvement of the FX 4800, does the FX 4800 will perform as well in AE CS5 than the CX was in AE CS4?

I'm not really carring about encoding in H.264... My care is about beeing productive and gain strong reactivity in the viewport, as fast uncompressed renders.

Please do not deviate with HDD importance, or stuff like that... I got all my answers on that. I really need more info on the Dual Cpu vs Single and the Quadro vs a simple GTX card.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
      Phil

• 1. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects can take advantage of multiple processors even without the use of Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. Because After Effects is multithreaded, it can also spread the processing of a single frame across mutliple processors. So, more processor cores is a good thing.

More RAM is also a good thing, in part because of longer RAM previews.

The details of the GPU don't matter much for After Effects, as long as you meet the minimum requirements. (Premiere Pro CS5 is another story; it can take advantage of the GPU and really performs better on the higher-end cards.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
            philRamses Level 1

Thanks for the clear answer on the cpu

"
            The details of the GPU don't matter much for After Effects, as long as  you meet the minimum requirements. (Premiere Pro CS5 is another story;  it can take advantage of the GPU and really performs better on the  higher-end cards.)"

Well... The Quadro CX was making a difference!
            Plus, if you have a look here ( http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/adobe_AftereffectsCS5_uk.html ), the Camera Zoom & the 3D Animation Rendering seems to be really affected. Well my question about the gpu is... can we trust those videos?

The 3D viewport rendering, the DOF management and the handling of some other stuff... worth it for me. Especially if it's accelerated like in those video. the real point is: does the quadro FX4800 is as efficient in AE CS5 as the Quadro CX was for AE CS4?

Actually, I have a gforce 8800 gts² who meets the minimum requirements. Anyway, using opengl is useless or only a source of errors & crashes. Add it the fact that the interface become really choppy as soon as i have a lots of layers displayed in the timeline, I'd like to know if using a quadro will do a real difference by providing a real pro solution...

• 3. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
              philRamses Level 1

Come on. Anybody can't answer my upper question?

Please I really need to know before buying my new hardware

• 4. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

OpenGL features have not changed in CS5, so any performance gains and improvements would solely depend on the card's configuration or driver config. Whether or not those come into play would still depend on your workflow. The only real difference then would be the cards' memory outfit and clock speeds, which may give you a few extra microseconds here and there, but nothing to write home about. Of course more memory in the card will also neatly avoid texture and shadow map errors, if that's of any importance. The only other thing that is partially accelerated is decoding of certain footage types. If you use AVCHD and similar formats, you may see notable differences. And let's not forget about third-party plug-ins... The rest is neither here nor there, as they say. It's not necessarily always the most expensive card that offers the best bang for the buck. I for one am quite satisfied with my GTX 285, but then again I rarely use OpenGL acceleration in AE itself. It handles CUDA nicely, which is becoming more and more popular wit hsome third-party plug-ins and plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks, that also use OpenGL, work relaibly. That's all I can say about the matter.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
                  philRamses Level 1

Thanks for replying Myllenium.
                  Currently I'm aware that quadro wasn't making a big bang in AE.

I have a gtx285 here too (@ home it's a 8800 GTS²) and yeah, I rarely enable OPENGL because, well... it's quite unstable and not so faster.But it's gtx285, a gaming card.

Anyway since the Quadro CX, the rules seems to have been modified.

If the CX was still available, I wouldn't insist that way, and for now, I'm just wanting to know if the videos I've posted here is Nvidia Marketing's bullsh*t or not.

• 6. Re: URGENT - Dual Xeon or high-end i7 & GTX or Quadro?
                    philRamses Level 1

Okay I found a starting of answer...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79e8 a.html

OpenGL in After Effects can render the following features:

• Shadows, except point light shadows (Colored shadows appear gray.)

• Lights (eight maximum)

• Masks

• Alpha channels

• Track mattes

• Intersecting layers

• Transformations for 2D and 3D layers

• GPU-accelerated effects, including Bevel Alpha, Bilateral Blur, Box Blur, Brightness & Contrast, Channel Blur, Color Balance, Color Balance (HLS), Curves, Directional Blur, Drop Shadow, Fast Blur, Find Edges, Fractal Noise, Gaussian Blur, Hue/Saturation, Invert, Noise, Radial Blur, Ramp, Sharpen, Tint, and Turbulent Noise

• All blending modes except Dissolve and Dancing Dissolve

• Layer styles

• Metal property settings for 3D layers

• Cone feather settings for light layers

• 2D motion blur

• Adjustment layers

• Anti-aliasing

• Depth-of-field blur

• Nested compositions

That's still a lot of frequently used things. So it may worth it. I guess that using quadro instead of geforce will improve stability.

And i guess that using High End quadro instead of geforce will provide faster answer....

Anyway, if anybody have experienced the FX4800 into AE and compare it to the video posted on the nvidia website... that would be great....

Because the real question now, is to know if a Quadro could challenge a bi high end cpu computing... if no, or not so much, quadro are definitly not interresting for AE in this case.