21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2010 7:59 AM by the_wine_snob

installing 6.5

Mario Gatt Level 1

Please HELP.

I had Premiere 6.5 + Pinnacle DV500 DVD card and driver 4.02 (also 4.5) running smoothly on XP pack 1, but all of a sudden it packed up.  I formatted, installed Windows Home Edition (Version 2002) (I assume it is Pack 1 since it says at the back "includes service pack 1), and followed the instructions given on the handbook with Pinnacle DV500 DVD pack.   Installed Premiere 6.5. Then placed the card in its slot, and then tried to instal the card's driver. But I get the message "The third party INF does not contain digital singnature information (has not passed Window Logo testing to verify compatability.  The option is to stop the installation or "Continue Anyway".  Pressing the latter would not give postitive results.

Can anybody help.

The program used to work on the same motherboard and computer.

Mario Gatt

• 1. Re: installing 6.5
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere 6.5 is very different from Premiere Elements. Premiere 6.5 is at least 10 years old and may not even be supported anymore.

You can try posting to the Premiere Pro forum and maybe they can help you. But, as I've said, this program is very, very old and your best solution is probably to buy a newer version of Premiere Pro or Premiere Elements.

Here's the Pro forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: installing 6.5
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mario,

When you get to the Pr (CS4 and Earlier) forum, be sure to see any posts by John T. Smith. He used Pr 6.5, IIRC, and also used about the same Pinnacle box, as you have. He knows his "stuff," and will very likely have the solutions for you.

Good luck, and see you in the Pr/PrPro forum,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: installing 6.5
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>all of a sudden it packed up

What does that mean... did it load a suitcase and leave town for a vacation?

> installed Windows Home Edition (Version 2002)

Is that XP or what?

My notes page at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM discusses my old and current setup

I used to dual boot Win2000 for DV500 and WinXpPro for Premiere Pro CS3... I now dual boot WinXpProSp1a for Dv500 and Win7 64bit Pro for Premiere Pro CS5

I will say that I NEVER installed the card after any part of the software... I always had the card installed when I started with a freshly formatted drive... Windows "saw" the card but did nothing with it until after I installed Premiere 6x and then the Dv500 driver

I will say that Premiere Elements is the wrong place for this... you should have posted in http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_previous

Maybe one of the Mods will move this post

• 4. Re: installing 6.5
                Mario Gatt Level 1

I am going to try and follow J T Smith advice.  Thank you for your help and advice, but being a next to a computer illiterate, I'd rather stick to my Adobe Premiere 6.5, which after all have given me a few years of pleasure and I know how to handle it.  As yet I can't find out why it cannot install properly now.

Mario

• 5. Re: installing 6.5
                  Mario Gatt Level 1

Thanks.  I am taking your advice and TRY to follow John T Smith's advice.  Being a computer illiterate, keep your fingers crossed for me.  Certain instructions are a bit of greek to me.

Mario

• 6. Re: installing 6.5
                    Mario Gatt Level 1

Did you ever get across US English and UK English.  Sometimes they are different languages.  In UK English, when something or someone decides to leave, he packs up first.  Not necessarily for a holiday.  That's what my editing system decided to do.....pack up......and it did leave.

I am going to try and go by your advice.  It seems to be the most sensible.  I would like to stick to my Premiere 6.5, since now that I got used to it, I might gave more problems trying something else.  You have to appreciate that I'm not so much computer literate.  Maybe with the help of someone who can read and understand your instructions, I will be once again enjoying editing my holiday strips.

I will be back in touch once I get the sh.. going.

Thanks again.

Mario

• 7. Re: installing 6.5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Mario,

With XP, there were two more SP's, SP2 & SP3. SP3 is the last, IIRC, and is what I have on my XP machines. Before you try installing again, I would update the OS to SP3, or latest, with all hot-fixes and patches. This might take a few hours, as many will require a reboot to load.

Then, when completely updated, I would see if Pinnacle/AVID has a newer driver for your card, and get that too. It will most likely be an archived file in ZIP, RAR or 7z format. Before installing the card, Extract that file with FULL folder structure, onto your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) where you can easily find it. Then, when the card's installer asks for the driver, navigate there.

I would also get the very latest driver for your video card, and your audio card, based on your OS, and install those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: installing 6.5
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, Mario, you may want to look into upgrading that software.

Operating systems have matured and programs like Premiere Elements and Premier Pro are much more powerful, much more stable and much easier to use than they were 10 years ago. I think that, once get over the small learning curve, you'll be very pleased with the new software. And most of the challenges you're facing will go away.

• 9. Re: installing 6.5

If he still needs the Dv500 to digitize analog tapes... he is going to have to continue to use Premiere 6.5 since that is the LAST version of Premiere that will work with the Dv500 software (install P6x and then the Dv500 software, which is built with "hooks" to "graft" itself to P6x... the Dv500 software to activate the card will not work with any later version of Premiere)

As far as the driver... the last one was 4.50 with a small update to 4.5a - but I don't know if Pinnacle still has anything at all for the Dv500 on their site, since they stopped making it several years ago

PS

It is possible the Dv500 card has malfunctioned

• 10. Re: installing 6.5
                            Mario Gatt Level 1

Pinnacle DV500 DVD definitely does not work on any system further then XP Pack one.  This I know through experience.  The latest drive for this card is the V4.5 and Pinnacle never updated its drivers since Pinnacle and Premiere decided to go different ways.

What I cannot understand is the reason how it worked for years and now cannot install on the same computer using the same system.

Mario

• 11. Re: installing 6.5
                              Mario Gatt Level 1

Do you get any commission?! Only joking. A stubborn guy at the age of 64 is much less flexible than somebody like you.  But after all, if its going to take me that much longer, it will be my only option left.

Mario

• 12. Re: installing 6.5
                                Mario Gatt Level 1

As a matter of fact I do have several analogue tapes tapes that I intend to digitise and turn into DVD.  The problem with this tiny island is that the rep for premiere does not know much better than I do, and all he does is to recommend and a later version.  Do later versions of Premiere still come with the connecting box?

• 13. Re: installing 6.5
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

They do not. However, there are two, highly recommended A-D devices, that attach via FireWire and will allow Capture in PrPro, the Canopus ADVC-100 and the ADS Pyro. Many users on the PrE and PrPro fora use one, or the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: installing 6.5
                                    Mario Gatt Level 1

Bill, I'll be sifting all your good advice over the next few days.  A local knowledgable in IT promised to come and give me a helping hand, but he is not into editing.

Thamks.

Mario

• 15. Re: installing 6.5
                                      nealeh Level 5

Mario Gatt wrote:

he is not into editing.

Just be aware that EDITING video is vastly different from PLAYING video. Not being into editing he may not appreciate this and unjustly 'blame' PRE because you can play your video in Media Player, VLC, iTunes whatever ....

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 16. Re: installing 6.5
                                        Mario Gatt Level 1

Nealeh,

Whoever said that editing is just like playing a video.

If you followed the lot, I have been editing for several years on Adobe Premiere 6.5 (bundled with a Pinnacle DV500 DVD card and software and its blue box).  The system worked like an angel for years on Windows XP Pack 1.  Lately I decided to format and tried to re-install the whole system, but XP is not accepting the drivers to Pinnacle, saying they are unsigned by microsoft. I tried to continue, but then the program crashed,  I even tried a later software, the DV500 DVD V4.5.  But thanks for your encouragement.

Mario

• 17. Re: installing 6.5
                                          Mario Gatt Level 1

Nealeh

I forgot to tell you that the guy who's giving me a helping hand, though not in editing, is a professional programmer for microsoft.  He already suggested to try install on Microsoft 2000, something that has already been recommended in a way by some body who is trying to be of help on this forum.

Mario

• 18. Re: installing 6.5
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mario,

Usually with unsigned drivers, the user is given the opportunity to proceed anyway. There is often one more warning about proceeding, but the unsigned drivers normally install and work fine.

Does this choice not show up for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: installing 6.5

install on Microsoft 2000, something that has already been recommended in a way by some body who is trying to be of help on this forum.

Mario

That was me... 3. Jun 7, 2010 7:25 PM

The ONE drawback to Win2000 is that it must be patched to work with hard drives larger than 137Gig

The patch is fairly easy, involving an update to service pack 4 (I think is the number) and then making a one line entry in the Registry

Search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for more information

I do know (scroll back up to my #3) that the Dv500 4.5 driver and Premiere 6.5 do install and work on WinXpProSp1a

I do NOT know if either Premiere 6x or Dv500 4.5 will install or work on any later service pack of XP

But... you first said it "packed up" and later that you "decided" to re-install

If things "packed up" there must be a reason... and that reason MAY be that the card has died

• 20. Re: installing 6.5
                                                Mario Gatt Level 1

Bill,

That's exactly what I got, unsigned drivers for the DV 500, and I proceeded, but on trying to use the editor, as soon as I tried to capture, the lot was freezing.

Mario

• 21. Re: installing 6.5
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mario,

This could be caused by a lot of different issues. I'd start with this ARTICLE, and look for useful tips.

Good luck,

Hunt