16 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2011 2:18 PM by 370H55V

Problems with site definition in CS5

DagmarAnsel Level 1

I am trying to define a new site in DW CS5. When I enter the site information in the dialogue box I get the following message:

The spry assets folder is not inside the site. Please select a valid folder in your local site root.

The program automatically creates a folder for Spry assets but the error message still appears. I tried creating a new folder, but had the same results. I can't get past this screen. Why is this happening?

• 1. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee
          I am trying to define a new site in DW CS5. When I enter the site information in the dialogue box I get the following message:

The spry assets folder is not inside the site. Please select a valid folder in your local site root.

The program automatically creates a folder for Spry assets but the error message still appears. I tried creating a new folder, but had the same results. I can't get past this screen. Why is this happening?

Yes, it's an annoying bug. In the Site Definition dialog, go to the Advanced > Spry tab and use the "browse for folder" dialog to select your SpryAssets folder and it will fix the path for you.

HTH,

Randy

• 2. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
            DagmarAnsel Level 1

Randy,

Thanks for your prompt response. The problem is, if I am defining a new site, there are no pre-existing folders. I am calling my site "HF", so Dreamweaver automatically chooses "/Users/Aaron/Documents/HF/SpryAssets" as the default folder for spry assets. If I use the "browse for folder" icon, I can select another folder, but what else would I choose? (I tried choosing other folders, as well as creating a new folder, and neither worked).I'm really stumped!

Aaron

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:19:07 -0600

To: aaascott@hotmail.com

Subject: Problems with site definition in CS5

I am trying to define a new site in DW CS5. When I enter the site information in the dialogue box I get the following message: The spry assets folder is not inside the site. Please select a valid folder in your local site root.

Yes, it's an annoying bug. In the Site Definition dialog, go to the Advanced > Spry tab and use the "browse for folder" dialog to select your SpryAssets folder and it will fix the path for you.

HTH,

Randy

>

• 3. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5

The problem is, if I am defining a new site, there are no pre-existing folders. I am calling my site "HF", so Dreamweaver automatically chooses "/Users/Aaron/Documents/HF/SpryAssets" as the default folder for spry assets. If I use the "browse for folder" icon, I can select another folder, but what else would I choose? (I tried choosing other folders, as well as creating a new folder, and neither worked).

I misunderstood and thought you already had a SperyAssets folder. Use the browse for folder dialog to choose your site local root folder, and then append "/SpryAssets" on the end.

HTH,

Randy

• 4. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                DagmarAnsel Level 1

Randy,

Sorry to take up so much of your time, but as you can see below, "/SpryAssets" is already at the end of the folder name. There must be some kind of a glitch, because no matter what folder I choose, whether or not it has "/SpryAssets" appended, I receive the same message and I can´t get past the screen.

Aaron

Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:22:57 -0600

To: aaascott@hotmail.com

Subject: Problems with site definition in CS5

The problem is, if I am defining a new site, there are no pre-existing folders. I am calling my site "HF", so Dreamweaver automatically chooses "/Users/Aaron/Documents/HF/SpryAssets" as the default folder for spry assets. If I use the "browse for folder" icon, I can select another folder, but what else would I choose? (I tried choosing other folders, as well as creating a new folder, and neither worked).

I misunderstood and thought you already had a SperyAssets folder. Use the browse for folder dialog to choose your site local root folder, and then append "/SpryAssets" on the end.

HTH,

Randy

>

• 5. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5

as you can see below, "/SpryAssets" is already at the end of the folder name. There must be some kind of a glitch, because no matter what folder I choose, whether or not it has "/SpryAssets" appended, I receive the same message and I can´t get past the screen.

Yes, I can see that "/SpryAssets" is already there. It's the rest of the path that DW is complaining about. Are you saying that using the browse for folder dialog does not fix that? If not, try copying the local folder path and pasting it in, them append "/SpryAssets".

Randy

• 6. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                    Andrea Levin Level 1

I have the same issue happening.  Could it have something to do with the fact that the site definitions were imported from CS4?  It's quite irritating, I can't change any site info because it won't let me save.  Is there a way to turn off the Spry requirements?

• 7. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                      xskex Level 1

Just specify the correct path in which you include the hard drive in the beginning of the path. This should fix the problem.

Greetings.

• 8. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                        Andrea Levin Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Dreamweaver does not know how to deal with the fact that my hard drive didn't actually have a name.  Once I changed the name of my hard drive from <blank> to 'wibble', then it was happy with the path...

• 9. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                          kris4670 Level 1

Hi i was just wondering if you found an answer to your problem as i am having the same problem i get to the bit where it says "Warning, the spry assets folder is not inside the site, please select a valid folder"

I cant get any further - very frustrated, can anyone help me get past this please.

Thank you in advance

Kris

• 10. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                            Andrea Levin Level 1

In my case, it was a matter of giving my hard drive a name.

Cheers,

Andrea

• 11. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                              JudalynG Level 1

What if you don't want to rename your hard drive causing grief for other sites?

Judy

• 12. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                                370H55V Level 4

I learned from a Lynda.com Dreamweaver tutorial how to avoid numerous site definition problems

1. Create a folder with the site name, in the location where you keep your sites.

2. Inside that folder create a new folder and name it "www".

3. Inside the www folder create a new folder. Copy it and paste about five times. You should have New Folder, New Folder (Copy), and New Folder (Copy)(1), etc.

4. Rename the folders to "css", "images", "files", "notes", "scripts", and "SpryAssets".

5. Define your site using Dreamweaver (choose www as the root folder) and all the necessary folders are already in place. If you embed a SWF, there is already a scripts folder for the flash updater scripts. If you add any Spry components, the folder is already there. You have an images folder for graphics, a css folder for multiple style sheets if you use them, and a files folder for anything that isn't html, javascript, Spry or an image, like mp3s or zips. Use the notes folder for anything you use to help build the site (notepad documents, etc.)

• 13. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                                  JudalynG Level 1

Thanks,

I will try this, tho it seems like a lot of work.

What is really wild is that the site has been working for a year. All I did was rename the site pages, and changed the links on the site.

Now I can't even create a NEW site without this issue. I never had to make folders and all that jazz.

• 14. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                                    370H55V Level 4

It may seem like work, but it's certainly easier than fighting for weeks with the site manager.

Now that I have my "www" folder with the sub folders in it, I just copy it into any new site I build. Two clicks and I'm all set up. I even keep a set of "standard" layouts (mail form, image gallery table with lightbox designations, and a standardized copyright with incremented javascript updater) in my notes folder so I just have to copy and paste them when I build the pages.

• 15. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                                      JudalynG Level 1

Yes, it sounds like it.

So what do I do about a site already set up? I already have folders like that in my site folder, except for the stupid Spry Assets folder, which I dont' even need or use.

I will do this from now on, for new sites. It seems easy.

Judy

• 16. Re: Problems with site definition in CS5
                                        370H55V Level 4

In your root folder (windows explorer) right click>New>Folder.

Name the folder SpryAssets (exactly like that, with cap S and cap A) and you shouldn't have any issues.

An empty folder takes up 0kb of space so it's not a big use of space. Not any actually.