2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2007 1:22 PM by Newsgroup_User

JSFL Help

Rothrock Level 5
      So I've got these long animated sequences that may have many text fields across many keyframes nested (perhaps deeply) within movieclips. Despite many requests, the animators sometimes leave them as dynamic text fields and then the fonts change.

I'm wondering if it is possible with JSFL to make something that goes through and changes all the text fields to static, or perhaps dynamic with the font embedded?

I haven't done any JSFL so I really don't know. Anybody got something that already does this? Or a good place to start learning? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: JSFL Help
          Juankpro Level 2
          I started learning it from a book some years ago. Even though I did a components that does this command, it was not easy, i.e. not a short code. I don't have it right now but I can try to get it.
          • 2. Re: JSFL Help
            Level 7
            Rothrock,

> I'm wondering if it is possible with JSFL to make something
            > that goes through and changes all the text fields to static, or
            > perhaps dynamic with the font embedded?

Yes, absolutely possible. Using the various objects available via the
            JSFL API, you can reference timelines, frames of timelines, and so on ...
            looping among all elements in each frame, in each timeline, in each
            document, in each folder, etc., etc. Check each element to see what type it
            is; if it's a text field, check its type, change its type, what have you.
            JSFL is truly a useful, powerful batching resource.

> I haven't done any JSFL so I really don't know. Anybody got
            > something that already does this? Or a good place to start learning?

Your best bet, even though it was written for Flash MX 2004, is still
            Keith Peters' and Todd Yards' "Extending Flash MX 2004: Complete Guide and
            Reference to JavaScript Flash" (friends of ED). Amazon has used copies for
            5 bucks, plus cheap shipping. It's every penny's worth the original price
            of (probably around) $35. Sure, the API grew a bit -- but only a bit! -- in
            Flash 8, and grew a bit more in Flash CS3, but the basic principles are the
            same, and most of the API hasn't changed. And -- you'll love this,
            Rothrock -- it's basically just DOM scripting in JS, except the DOM is a
            Flash document rather than an HTML document, which means AS1-style
            programming. ;)

David Stiller
            Adobe Community Expert
            Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."