5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 1:32 PM by FourMat_4

Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?

FourMat_4

I am using DW CS3 and I was wondering if there was an easy to bring up a report that shows what files utilize a library item?

When I make a change to the library item, it goes through and updates the files just fine and list them as it's being updated.  My problem is that I have a very large site and to do a sync takes a long time.  It is just easier for my to manually update, but I need to know which files were affected.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?
          BCDoherty Level 3

I have not used library items in DW/CS3 but have in DW8 and CS4. What I have found is that after the library file is saved, all the affected (local) files are uipdated. if you sort the files in File View by date you will see the most recently written files at the bottom. (Click on the header of the column you want to sort. You may have to do a file refresh of local files first.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exactly does the Library item contain?

Have you thought of changing the Library item to a Server Side Include instead?

Takes all the tedium out of updating by letting the server do the mundane work for you.

Create one text file (containing the current Library item code), add a single include statement in all website pages to include the text file. Upload. The entire website is then up-to-date.

To update all affected pages in future, you merely edit the one small text file (the Include), upload and you're done.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?
              FourMat_4 Level 1

The library items contain footers, headers, and menu items/bars that I want to be consistant throughout the site.

Yeah, I'm all about php, SSI, etc,where I can,  but I had a simple site that I wanted to throw together so I decided to utilize some of the features of DW.  Then the site expanded larger.  Guess that was a mistake as it's become more of a pain.  DW bugs, crashes when looking through the cache.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I don't have a testing server set up, and I use SSI, then the WYSWIG functions within DW are all but useless?  The last time I used SSI in DW, it just placed a code designation in it's place rather than the graphical representation.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?
                BarryCDoherty

The contents of SSI show up in Designi View just like any other code except you can't edit it in code view - you have to manually open it up in another window to edit it. No need for a testing server. I use SSIs for mastheads, menus, footers and the like.

As I recall you can not include CSS formatting in a library item. Big negative. No problem with that and SSIs.

Barry

• 5. Re: Is there a way to see what files utilize a library item?
                  FourMat_4 Level 1

Well, now that's different and encouraging.  The last time I used SSI with DW was including output from a perl script, which didn't play well with DW at all.  I'll try using it now with just the text.  You are right, the use of CSS and javascript elements was a little tricky, and/or buggy.  Thanks for the help.