9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 1:13 AM by photograph.asia

Time Lapse Video

photograph.asia

Hi

I am new to Premier Pro and was after some help making a time lapse video.

This is what I wish to do.

Import some full resolution 5Dmk!! files about 300 frames.

Set all images to be 1 frame. (I have looked but I can only set the duration of each image individually, i

s there an easy way to set the duration of all the frames at once?)

Once each image has been set to a single frame duration I then want to group them as a single file/ session and zoom and pan around the scene.

I hope I have made myself clear as I have only just got into Premier and video editing so are not familiar with the terminology.

I would appreciate if some one could give me a link to a tutorial on Time Lapse and Premier Pro.

I have searched but could not fine anything that was helpful

Thanks in advance

Steve
        • 1. Re: Time Lapse Video
          Tayedrummer Level 1

I haven't done a lot of timelapse in Premiere but if you go into EDIT\PREFERENCES\GENERAL and set the STILL IMAGE DEFAULT DURATION to "1" then drag and drop the folder containing your still images to your bin, then drag that folder onto the timeline you'll have your timelapse sequence.

Personally I've found it easier to import the sequential still images into Quicktime Pro, save it as a quicktime movie then import it into Premiere.

That's my 2¢.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Time Lapse Video
            Rallymax Level 2

This really isn't the forum for your question but it happens to be 

what I do for fun too so...

Eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMBs0-GcwuI

In the "general settings" change the default length of still frames to 

1 frame. Then every jpeg (I don't think cr2 is supported) you drop on 

the timeline will be 1 frame.

Premiere can group clips but I'm quite sure it doesn't have the 

concept of an effect being applied to a group - if you want to animate 

pan/zooms. You'll have to export to an intermediate video like 

lossless motion jpeg or huffyYUV at full resolution - then bring it 

into a new timeline to move the field of view by animating the effects 

motion plugin (which always exists for each clip)

Hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Time Lapse Video
              Tayedrummer Level 1

Sorry, I should elaborate. Importing the sequencial images into Premiere does work but it tends to thrash the hell out of your hard drives.  Adobe CS3 on a duo core system with non-RAID drives would be very slow (no realtime playback).  If I used QuicktimePro to turn the image sequence into a .mov file the timelapse shot would be MUCH easier to work with and the hard drives wouldn't sound like they were going to have a heart attack.

I did a test this morning using some tests I shot last year with my CS5 system (i7-960, 12Gb RAM, 480GTX w/hack, RAID) http://www.vimeo.com/12394474 and everything played back in real time with yellow GPU bar but you could hear the drives working hard.    Added music using Soundbooth score (I think that's the coolest feature I've ever seen).  Even with CS5 I'd still likely keep my workflow of Still Images->QuicktimePro convert to .mov ->Adobe Premiere.

• 4. Re: Time Lapse Video
                akribie Level 2

If your images have sequentially-numbered filenames, you will be asked if you want to import them as an image sequence when you select the first image.  That way they come in as a single movie clip with one image per frame rather than a series of individual stills.

If you do have them imported as stills, then placing them sequentially on a timeline and then nesting that timeline (sequence) inside another sequence will also generate similar functionality in that you can then apply effects to the whole nested sequence as if it was a clip in its own right.

• 5. Re: Time Lapse Video
                  Rallymax Level 2

Two things I didn't know! Thanks! - you made my process way easier

• 6. Re: Time Lapse Video
                    Tayedrummer Level 1
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

akribie wrote:

If your images have sequentially-numbered filenames, you will be asked if you want to import them as an image sequence when you select the first image.  That way they come in as a single movie clip with one image per frame rather than a series of individual stills.

If you do have them imported as stills, then placing them sequentially on a timeline and then nesting that timeline (sequence) inside another sequence will also generate similar functionality in that you can then apply effects to the whole nested sequence as if it was a clip in its own right.

Ah-HA!  Cool tip akribie.  You just saved me a step of importing into quicktime.

Just to clarify your first tip; in Premiere CS5 after you click FILE\IMPORT and Premiere opens the file browser window you select all the files and click the NUMBERED STILLS checkbox just above the FILE NAME box, then click IMPORT.

• 7. Re: Time Lapse Video
                      photograph.asia Level 1

Thanks for all the help.

I imported the full resolution images as a sequence, this enabled me to apply pan and zoom effects. It did work but it was painfully slow. I had to apply the effects just guessing then render the time line which took about 15 minutes. I have ordered a new graphics card, extra ram and new power supply which may speed things up some what. I don't know if I can actually make a QuickTime movie first at 5616 x 3744 which is the size of the 5D Mk II images, I will give it a try and then import the movie into Premier and apply the pan zoom effects. I have posted the clip on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDewud6NlBw

• 8. Re: Time Lapse Video
                        akribie Level 2

Anytime you use lots of large stills in a project you need lots of RAM.  A fast processor helps, too as does a fast, unfragmented hard drive.

Unless you have CS5, then I would suspect that changing the graphics card would be unlikely to make a huge difference except possibly for previewing some effects.

For this sort of work, I suspect that you would be much more comfortable with CS5 (with the Mercury engine using a compatible graphics card) and lots of RAM in a 64-bit OS

• 9. Re: Time Lapse Video
                          photograph.asia Level 1

I am running CS5 so I hope the RAM and video up grade will help a lot. At the moment I have 6Gig ram, a 8900 graphic card, and an i7 940 CPU, my system files run on 300GB velociraptor HDD and I have a couple of 1tb discs for data, not raid, just standard HDD's. I will be upgrading to 12Gig RAM and a GTX 285 Video card with a new power supply.