11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 11:15 AM by Steve Grisetti

Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors

gloryandgrace

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and every time I try to edit certain parts of my movie I get major errors. Here's what I've done to try to fix the problem:

gone through some of the troubleshooting tips from adobe.com

uninstalled and reinstalled PE7

did a system restore to several days ago when it was working fine

The movie I am editing is over an hour long, and has a variety of movie clips, pictures, narration, and music. When I press play it works pretty good, but when I want to move the narration around or "clear" a certain clip, it goes crazy!! Here's a few of the error boxes I've seen:

Premiere Elements Debug Event

[..\..\Src\Sequence\TrackItemTrack.cpp-480]

and also this one

[..\..\Src\VideoSegment.cpp-55]

When those come up I can only click "continue" and then it pops up again and again until finally it says that there was an error, it must close down, and it will try to save the project.

This has also come up before the file opens:

Found default catalog. Trying to open the default catalog.

And, when I did the system restore this came up when I opened PE7:

The licensing subsystem has failed catastrophically. You must reinstall or call customer support.

I have a deadline to meet with this movie, but I can't even edit it closes down on me so much! I have tried opening other PE7 movie files and edit them and they seemed to work fine from the little I did. Could it be that the file itself has something wrong with it? I have had minor problems with PE7 before but nothing as bad as this! I have my movie file saved on the computer hard drive, and two separate external hard drives. I have tried opening the file from all three places but they are all the same.

I am not a computer whiz, but If you need any more info, let me know, and please respond ASAP!!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you probably have many things wrong, as you are getting OS errors, program errors, and maybe more.

Let's start with your Project. Can you give us the specs. of your Project Preset, and then all of your various Assets, the stills, Video, etc., that you have on your Timeline?

In the meantime, take a look at this ARTICLE to get an idea of some more system info, that will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
            gloryandgrace Level 1

Thank you!

I think I may have figured out how to solve the problem. I went under a folder on one of my external hard drives where I had saved a copy of my file several days ago (on June 1st) PREVIOUS to my downloading the 7.0.3 update. So far, it is working fine for me, but I will let you know if anything comes up again.

Hopefully that fixes the problem, but if I end up having more problems I will get you the other info. Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I also hope that the issue is fixed, and thanks for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                gloryandgrace Level 1

Well, it's not working again. Here's what happened:

I opened that other file this morning, like I told you. I edited for a few hours, then I added a picture, then tried moving some clips that were grouped together, but instead of moving them it did something else (not sure what) and then it said there was an error and it had to close down (I was able to delete the picture off the timeline, just in case that was causing the problem, which I don't think it was). I was glad to have gotten so much editing in, but really disappointed it wasn't fixed completely like I'd hoped. So I opened PE7 again and it said I needed to save the file as another name. So I did that and kept editing for another few hours, with no major problems. Then, when I was moving something around again there was an error message and it closed down. At this point I was thinking "This isn't good, but hopefully it will open again and work like last time." But no, this time, the file wouldn't even OPEN!! This is the worst it's been. Those same error messages come up (PE Debug Event) and a new one too:

Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error

Program: ...\AdobePremiereElements7.0\AdobePremiereElements.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I've been having a few minor problems with Windows Vista as well, such as the scroll bar on the Internet going up and down like crazy for several seconds, and also a runtime error (similar to the one above) when I open a folder under my computer. Could it be I have a virus? I have Vipre antivirus installed on my computer so hopefully that is taking care of anything like that.

I can open a copy of the movie file I made earlier today (but I'm not sure yet if I can edit with it or not - I don't want to make a bunch of changes and lose my work!), but not the latest file I worked on that had the last problems. Here are my project presets:

(this forum won't let me copy and paste!)

General

Editing Mode: DV NTSC

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Video:

Frame size 720 horiz. 480 vert. 16:9

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)

Fields: Lower Field First

Display format: 30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Audio:

Sample rate: 48000Hz

Display format: audio samples

Capture format: DV capture

Video Rendering

Maximum bit depth (not checked)

Previews:

File Format: DV NTSC

Compressor: DV NTSC

Color Depth: millions of colors

Optimize stills (checked)

The narration is a .wav file,

the pictures are .jpg

the videos are all .avi (some were conformed from .MTS to.avi with PE7 under SHARE)

By "assets, stills, video etc. on the timeline" do you mean I should tell you everything I have on the timeline in order? Or did you mean something else? I was a little confused by that (I'm a visual person and so new to this!).

Thanks so much for your help!!

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the C++ RunTime Error, this Adobe KB Article might be useful. This is an OS issue.

I'll go over the rest of the info, and report back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    (this forum won't let me copy and paste!)

I have never had this issue. I just did it, above, in Google Chrome and in IE 7, never encountered an issue. Are you accessing via e-mail?

As for the JPEG still images, what are their pixel x pixel dimensions? That could be very important. The max recommend size for an SD Project is 1000 x 750 max.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                      gloryandgrace Level 1

No, I'm not accessing via e-mail. What I was doing was right-clicking in the text box and instead I should have gone under "page" (on my internet explorer browser) and clicked "paste." Oops!

Here is the JPEG still image dimensions:

Yikes, I think we may have found part of the problem. There are lots and lots of pictures but here are a few examples . . .

2592x1944

3072x2304

2593x3888

I did not know that a program that is capable of editing HD video couldn't handle pictures that aren't downsized! Is that because of the dimensions?

Since I have a lot of pictures already insterted in the timeline how can I downsize them? Do I need to do them one by one on a different program and then re-add them to Adobe PE7? Or is there a way I could resize them all at once?

Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                        nealeh Level 5

It's more a 'fit for purpose' issue with photo sizes. Regardless of your picture dimensions, on sharing, their best resolution can only be that of the format you will output to (e.g. 1920x1080 for full HD, 720x576 for PAL DVD).

PRE is a video editing app and, frankly, does a poor job of handling & resizing big images. On the other hand Photoshop Elements does an excellent job of resizing stills.

So, for best results, use a good photo editing package to resize them. If you might use pan & zoom resize to the suggested 1000x750. If you intend to use the pictures as a full image resize to the exact dimensions you will be using.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the program can handle large images, up to 4096 x 4096, however, what cannot handle those is your computer. Even on my NLE workstation, it does not take many 4000 x 4000 pixel images, and it will start to have issues.

Also, the resizing algorithms in PrE (or PrPro) are not nearly as good as those in Photoshop. Remember, it's a video editor, not an image processor. This ARTICLE will give you some background and some tips. So if you resize in Photoshop, you will end up with better images, and also a much lower overhead on your computer. If you must work with large still images, you will want to look into Adobe AfterEffects, as it allocates resources and memory differently, and will allow you to edit/composite image at about 40,000 x 40,000 pixels. Do not recall the exact pixel x pixel limits.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                            gloryandgrace Level 1

I am sorry I did not write this sooner, but I just wanted to say that I got the problem fixed! I cut the file in half (saved as, and deleted first half, then save the original "as" again, and delete second half) and I also resized the pictures (which I think made a huge difference). Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 7 files encountering major errors
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad to hear we could help, glory!