6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 11:24 PM by ConsultoriaInc

Cannot Left Click anything in AE

ConsultoriaInc Level 1

This happened today, everything has been working just fine, but now when I start Adobe After Effects CS4 (or CS5) either or, I can left click New Composition, but when the menu opens up to select 1280x720 etc, I cannot left click on anything, as I roll the cursor over the boxes, it DOES highlight as if I could select it, but clicking does absolutely nothing. I can TAB through the selections and work that way, but obviously that is a pain in the *&*^.

I can click on CLOSE (the red X) and close After effects, I can click and select any of the top menu itesms (File, Edit, Composition, Layer, etc) just fine, even when I go into preferences, I cannot select anything with the mouse.

I am using windows 7 Ultimate 64x, all current updates, 16gb of ram, quad core cpu, 2x5970, and NO its not the mouse, it works fine in every single other app.

When I open AE CS4, the cursor cannot select, as well as it looks like a pixelated waffle, like a square of black and white pilxels.

I have tried rebooting, and taken out all plugins.

Please I need help! thanks!

• 1. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do you have any third party Mouse software/drivers, like Microsoft Intellimouse drivers?  Do you have a Wacom tablet?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
            ConsultoriaInc Level 1

Hey Andrew, thanks for responding so fast!

No I do not use a wacom pad, or a MS mouse. I am using a Logitech USB mouse, been using it fine for the last year with no problems, and it still works fine in ALL other applications, every single other adobe app works just fine, its solely After Effects, both CS4 and CS5, CS4 is giving me the weirder problem with the corrupted cursor, but both CS4 and CS5 exhibit the same behavior of not being able to left click on any selection box. It's driving me nuts!

EDIT: No i do not use any third party drivers either, this is as clean as it gets lol, my startup services are only the CS4 and CS5 cue, and antivirus, nothing else at all, always been that way.

• 3. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off the second graphics card and/or check your graphics config. These are overlay drawing problems, possibly because you updated the graphics driver or changed a setting.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
                ConsultoriaInc Level 1

Ahh, this *might* be it, I did turn on dual monitors yesterday, so can I not run dual monitors with After Effects? I didn't update my video drivers, maybe I should? Let me turn off the second monitor and see if that corrects the issue. brb.

• 5. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
                  ConsultoriaInc Level 1

Ahh, this *might* be it, I did turn on dual monitors yesterday, so can I not run dual monitors with After Effects? I didn't update my video drivers, maybe I should? Let me turn off the second monitor and see if that corrects the issue. brb.

Ok that worked!!! for CS5, it's working like perfect. So can I not run dual monitors? That would be a real pain!

CS4 still has the pixelated "waffle" corruption cursor. The graphics cards are not overclocked and the CPU and GPU are below average temps.

photo.JPG

Thats a pic of what it looks like..

Thanks for helping

• 6. Re: Cannot Left Click anything in AE
                    ConsultoriaInc Level 1

SOLVED (on my own) at least part one of thsi question.

When you can't click on certain menu items, (change time lengths or color swatches) its because Windows Composition is messing with it, goto your shortcut and RIGHT CLICK it, goto COMPATABILITY and select "disable windows composition" or ignore windows composition, youll see what Im talking about. Restart the program and voila, your mouse works like normal now.

I however have not figured out why my cursor is a corrupt block of pixels though, its annoying as all *&^**%

Funny thing is that the cursor is ONLY a corrupt square, when inside the composition area, nowehere else in the app. Any ideas?