1 2 3 Previous Next 102 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 10:44 AM by KativStudio Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
        rdbaron Level 1

Julie Kmoch wrote:

Now I can give you a concrete answer on a fix. For those who haven't seen the word yet, we posted a release candidate of 3.2 (we skipped "3.1" to sync up with the Camera Raw plugin version) last night at http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_3.2.

Your help in kicking the tires around the catalog import fix would be greatly appreciated.

~Julie

I'm happy to kick the tires but I'd like a little more encouragement first: As noted above in this thread, I've had the Unable to Import - Unknown Error message when trying to import to my desktop a catalog (actually several catalogs) I had successfully exported from my laptop to an external hard drive.  I can open and run the catalogs from my desktop, I just can't import them.

Is it your thinking that I will need to install LR3RC on the laptop, re-export the catalog, install LR3RC on the desktop and then attempt the import?

Or do you think I can just install the new RC on the desktop and try the import?

Forgive me my apprehensiveness.

--Bob

• 81. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
          Julie Kmoch Adobe Employee

You should not need to re-export any catalogs. Just install the new RC on the desktop and try the import.

• 82. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
            rdbaron Level 1

Julie Kmoch wrote:

You should not need to re-export any catalogs. Just install the new RC on the desktop and try the import.

I just tried it.  No luck.  Same error message.

--Bob

• 83. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3

Rats! I'll contact you offline, Bob.

• 84. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                rdbaron Level 1

Julie Kmoch wrote:

Rats! I'll contact you offline, Bob.

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks, I'll look for it.  I'm probably doing something dumb and
                obvious and will appreciate your help.

--Bob

• 85. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                  Lee Jay-ZyZk56 Level 4

rdbaron wrote:

--Bob

Okay, I wasn't going to say this, but the "dumb" thing that sometimes happens (and I've done it too) is that you aren't actually running the new version.  So, double-check the about screen.

• 86. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                    rdbaron Level 1

Lee Jay wrote:

rdbaron wrote:

--Bob

Okay, I wasn't going to say this, but the "dumb" thing that sometimes happens (and I've done it too) is that you aren't actually running the new version.  So, double-check the about screen.

I did; I am.

But thanks for thinking of me.  ;-)

--Bob

• 87. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                      rdbaron Level 1

The answer to my problem (with many thanks to Julie and her team for spending the time and effort to find it) is that the program does not allow you to import a catalog into a root (top level) folder on a drive.  You must first create a folder and then import the catalog into that.

This is apparently a restriction, feature or bug that has existed in all versions of LR up to and including 3.2RC, although I have never seen it documented or described.  I'm just going to have to deal with it until it is changed in some future release.

I'm not marking this thread as 'answered' because I'm not sure this applies to the issue raised by the original poster but it is now answered for me.

--Bob

• 88. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                        tworms

I've been trying to take all my small catalogs and compile them into a bigger catalog that encompasses the whole year of shooting. For instance, taking one catalog of a soccer game and importing into a 2009 catalog, then using Collections to organize everything visually.

I seem to encounter the same problem as other people - "Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error."

Problem is, the only solutions I've seen have been for people to check for A) Duplicates or B) missing photos (with the little ? marks). I am trying to import a catalog that has 20 photos in it. There are no missing files. No duplicates. I'm not dealing with a LR3 Beta catalog. It's really easy to check. I made the new 2009 catalog recently. There shouldn't be a conflict.

Any ideas?

-Tim

• 89. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3

Tim, would you be game to try the 3.2 RC candidate and see if that takes care of the issue for you? http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_3.2

~Julie

• 90. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                            tworms Level 1

Julie, is 3.2 standalone, or will it work like a standard patch and update the LR3 I already have? If the latter is true, do you recommend backing up all my LR catalogs, or should it be safe?

Thanks for your quick response.

-Tim

• 91. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3

On Windows, the RC will update the LR3 you already have. On Mac, it will sit beside LR3. It will not change the format of your catalog, and we have not seen any problems that would hurt the catalog or we wouldn't have released it to the public. That said, I'm not one to discourage people from making regular backups as a good discipline.

~Julie

• 92. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                Neil Snape Level 1

I just installed the 3.2 RC and it seems to have imported from the previous LR2 catalogue and merged the two (LR3+LR2) catalogues correctly.

There are a couple of glitches, like a file that is a blank image, (cr2) and cannot be deleted.

Is it really necessary that all the previews be redrawn in each folder as the previews already exist in the previous catalogue?

This is really slow going, it only refreshes one screen scroll at a time, hence redrawing tens of thousands of vignette (preview size) will be a production loss.

• 93. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                  tworms Level 1

Everything seems to be working in order so far. Won't have time to finish it all completely this afternoon, but the large catalogs imported seamlessly after going to 3.2.

Thanks for all the help, Julie. You're the bomb.

• 94. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3

Neil, with the files that are regenerating previews:

- Does it settle down after regenerating once? and

- Did they have lens profile corrections applied?

~Julie

• 95. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                      Neil Snape Level 1

Hi Julie,

I don't think I applied lens corrections to many images as that was a late comer to the party.

I did download the CR 6.2 module and I'm surpirsed with the number of lens/camera combinations.

Yes after rebuilding the thumbs they behave as expected, just would have liked a rebuild all as a background task rather than a viewport refresh each screen view. 

Are the thumbs that were rendered with LR 2 not usable due to the process version or some other reason?

• 96. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3

Frankly, I don't know what caused it to rebuild your previews. That's not per design. We had one person report something similar in going from 3.0 to 3.2 and he thought there might be a connection with lens profiles that we updated in 3.2, which was the reason for my question.

• 97. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                          KativStudio Level 1

LR3.2 RC didn't help on the issue for me.

I was hoping final version of 3.2 would fix this issue, but that didn't work either.

After checking for duplicated files for about 5+ minutes and about 70% of the way, Warning messeage pops up

"Lightroom could not import this catalog because of an unknown error."

I wonder how many are still having this issue... or is it just me?

Now, my question is,

would this method work?

1) open up LR 3 beta catalog in LR3.2

2) export beta catalog again in LR3.2 - let's call it catalogX

3) close LR,

4) open LR with working LR catalog(not the LR3 beta catalog)

5) import catalogX

• 98. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                            KativStudio Level 1

NOPE. I just tried above method, and it still didn't work.

I think there are some issues when there are duplicated photos involved.

Oh well, I'll have to either change catalog everytime I wish to access the LR3beta photos... or reimport all those photos to my main catalog and adjust settings...

• 99. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                              Lee Jay-ZyZk56 Level 4

KativStudio wrote:

NOPE. I just tried above method, and it still didn't work.

I think there are some issues when there are duplicated photos involved.

Oh well, I'll have to either change catalog everytime I wish to access the LR3beta photos... or reimport all those photos to my main catalog and adjust settings...

Or write out the metadata first and then re-import.  The only things NOT stored in the metadata are:

Stacking information

Collection information

Flags

Develop history (the final develop settings are included)

Virtual copies

• 100. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                                KativStudio Level 1

I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little further on the procedure? step by step guide.

I don't mess with metadata much except for adding keywords... so I don't quite understand how to "write out".

• 101. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                                  Lee Jay-ZyZk56 Level 4

KativStudio wrote:

I'm sorry, but could you elaborate a little further on the procedure? step by step guide.

I don't mess with metadata much except for adding keywords... so I don't quite understand how to "write out".

Open the catalog in question.  Select all the images (control A in All Photos view).  Hit "control-S".  Wait until done.

When you import those images into 3.2, all the information about them except that which I noted will be included.

• 102. Re: Error importing a catalog in LR3
                                                    KativStudio Level 1

Oh, That works for me.

Thanks!

1 2 3 Previous Next