3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 8:29 AM by the_wine_snob

avi has sound, no motion

newwoodworker

I am bringing avi's from a security camera (recorded on SD card) into Preimiere and while the audio is correct, the video portion is like one big still frame. If I double click on teh file in Windows 7, that player comes up and the clip plays perfect.

I know I am missing something very simple but cannot find it!

• 1. Re: avi has sound, no motion
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why edit material from a security camera? To mess with the evidence?

Convert to something editable, like MS DV AVI type2 before import.

• 2. Re: avi has sound, no motion
            newwoodworker Level 1

I had one of these clips open in Premiere the other day and it worked fine!

I want to be able to put some of these clips on a DVD and stills don't get it!

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening from the same camera, on the same SD card! It's like I have something set wrong in Premiere but have not changed anything that I know of.

• 3. Re: avi has sound, no motion
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the file format and most importantly the CODEC produced by the camera? The great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give that info.

I've had to do exactly what you are trying to do, but in my case, the cameras record to HDD, and I just output those files as DV-AVI Type II's. They Import into PrPro fine, though my cameras have no Audio - just the Video.

The resulting DVD's have looked pretty good, considering the camera types, the ambient lighting, etc. and have been used as forensic evidence by several law enforcement agencies.

Good luck, and let us know more about those files, please.

Hunt