18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 4:44 AM by gnitide

.mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?

gnitide

When I import .mxf files (1080x1920 30p, 100Mbps, Long GOP) into PPCS5, invariably

both the audio and video appear only in the video timeline, as one bar - therefore impossible

to edit audio (except very awkward and incomplete workaround by partially editing audio

in Soundbooth CS5).  Others with similar sources, computer, software, etc., do not have

this problem (yes, we all so far have Adobe CS5 bug which causes one of two audio

channels to lag the other).  Am running on validly tested and very powerful BOXX 4850,

WIN 7 Ultimate  OS, with one of the Adobe qualified video cards - amazingly fast.

Exactly same bizarre behaviour shows up on same machine when running Vista Ultimate OS,

PPCS4, with enabling MainConcept plug-in to handle high data rate in PPCS4.

When the .mxf files are brought into Sony Vegas Pro 8, all editing (and laboriously slow export)

is handled beautifully and perfectly, but having been an Adobe Editor for past 13 years, would

like to continue with Adobe!

Any thoughts of anyone (experienced or not!) would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your other topic.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
            gnitide Level 1

Jeff - Excuse me, re "double posting", but I hoped for an answer for either CS4 OR CS5,

either which I would be willing to use, IF I could find a solution!  And I assumed that

there would be so many CS4 users (I assume a lot more users so far with CS4 than

CS5) that might have some input (and particularly in the still unfixed audio bug in

CS5 for mxf files, even with the latest update).  Soooo, if i receive no response here at CS5, is

there any way then that I can delete my query here, and repost at CS4?????

• 3. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

What do you mean by "one bar?" Do you mean that the audio channels get remapped into one track, or are you talking about the waveform?

• 4. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?

If you give up on CS5, post your decision here and I'll move the thread to the CS4 forum.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                  gnitide Level 1

Colin - the video and audio data for a given file are exhibited only in the video timeline

as a single bar, which depending upon the settings, will show representative video frames,

but there is NO illustration of what is in the audio portion (no waveforms, etc).  When

the bar is clicked on to take the audio into Soundbooth, the waveform and other audio

data then appear for the first time, and after edit in Soundbooth and saved to Premier,

the audio is playable from the combo audio/video in the video timeline, but no

graphical representation of any kind about the audio is then available in Premiere, and

as indicated earlier, no editing of audio is possible.

Jeff - thanks for your response - if I have no useful response in this Forum, I'll take you

up on your offer!

• 6. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    the video and audio data for a given file are exhibited only in the video timeline as a single bar

I've not used CS5 yet, but my feeling here is that simply isn't possible.  In every pro NLE I've ever seen, the video track will only show video, not audio.  The only explanation I can imagine for such an observation is a pretty serious case of redraw error, for which you'd have to investigate the GPU and driver.

• 7. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Or even more obvious, wrong source material, not suitable for editing.

• 8. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I might be completely misunderstanding the issue here, so forgive me if this is completely not helpful--just shooting from the hip.

For one, check your default source channel mapping setting in Preferences, as follows:

source-channel-default.png

Secondly, for already imported clips (but that have not been used in a sequence), check how your source channels are mapped by selecting a clip in the bin and going to Clip > Modify > Audio Channels:

source-channel-mapping.png

Again, I might be missing the boat, but if so please post a screenshot so we can see exactly what you're referring to. I have noticed some problems with peak file generation and display in CS5, particularly with assets that have had their audio channels remapped (a process I frequently employ). I'm not quite to the bottom of what's happening, but something is definitely amiss.

• 9. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Or even more obvious, wrong source material, not suitable for editing.

I don't think that's the case here:

When I import .mxf files (1080x1920 30p, 100Mbps, Long GOP)

Despite the Long GOP issue, MXF files aren't exactly something that comes from a toy camera...

• 10. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?

One more obvious check:

Is the audio 5.1?  Is the audio actually in an audio track, but not visible because the audio half of the timeline isn't scrolled down far enough?

-Jeff

• 11. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                              gnitide Level 1

Gentlemen,  thanks for your responses!  I will be in the field

the next three days, but will respond again no later than

Saturday about the suggestions posted.

• 12. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                                gnitide Level 1

Before I run out the doo -

Colin, all audio settings in Preferences and for an individual clip are OK

Everything else I import into CS5 - audio is ok.

Jeff - Video Track 1 and Audio Track 1 headings to left of timeline are readily apparent.

• 13. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?

I wasn't worried about Audio Track 1.  I'm worried about, say, Audio track 4.  Or 5.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Or even more obvious, wrong source material

Even that I do not think could cause the audio waveform to be drawn in the video track in a non-smurfed installation.

• 15. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                                      gnitide Level 1

Back sooner than thought!

JEFF - Audio tracks 1 through 7 are all visable, as is the Master below Audio track 7.

By the way, someone on another Forum has suggested that I am better off with

VEGAS than with Premiere, if I'm willing to learn it, and that given its intuitive (compared

to Premiere ?) it shouldn't take long to learn, yet, darned if I have been able to find simple

little things in VEGAS such as scrubbing the timeline.  Further, I notice when I expand the

edit window view in VEGAS to full 24 inch full high def resolution, I get a great picture with

few anomalies (as I certainly do with Premiere CS4 or CS5), but unlike Premiere, it looks

as if its dropping some frames.  Whoops, this is probably the WRONG forum to be

even suggesting the likelihood that VEGAS is more useful than Premiere .

Finally, and though this is more than a bit far afield from the query I posted (and which

the rest of you have so admirably stuck too!), when I originally import a lot of mxf files

into VEGAS, I note that RAM (I have 6 GB) ramps up slowly during conforming, while

Premiere Pro CS5 runs up extremely quickly to 5.98 GB, and I just sit there waiting for

the whole thing to crash?

• 16. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?

I want to make sure we're on the same page.

Does your timeline look like this?

MissingAudio.jpg

Or does it look like this (minus the waveform)?

AudioNoWaveform.jpg

If the latter, then the level of the audio is low, or you haven't given Pr time to create the .pek files that draw the waveform.  For the low level audio, increase the size of the audio track like this:

AudioBigWaveform.jpg

-Jeff

• 17. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                                          gnitide Level 1

Jeff - Your first version is what I see!  And I can play that version, see the stellar picture, and hear

the sound just fine - but as I said, I cannot edit it.

• 18. Re: .mfx audio & video appear only in video timeline - fix?
                                            gnitide Level 1

Thank you ALL!  And goodnight.  I checked, "yes, my question has been answered", by me, with your help!

<explitive deleated> Premiere CS5.  Without going into the boring gory details, after quite a few up to 19

hour days trying to FIX, found out where the audio was in CS5 Premiere - I started adding additional audio

channels to the SEVEN (which I hadn't set up for that many) that popped up when I first loaded CS5 (there

were only the as normal three video channels in the timeline), and when I added AUDIO TRACK 9, THERE

WAS THE AUDIO TIMELINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     So, I uninstalled CS5 Production Premium and

Sony Vegas Pro 8; CS5 was uninstalled because Adobe evidently doesn't feel that the fix of one audio channel

lagging the other with this kind of data is very important.  I installed Production Premium CS4 and the Main Concept Plug In to permit import

and edit of the nanoFlash files (1080x1920 30p, 100Mbps, long GOP), updated, blah, blah, and loaded

Premiere CS4 - and THERE in the timeline, 3 tracks of empty video, and NINE tracks of empty  audio, and I then imported

some files, dragged them to the timeline, and in video track 1 was the video, and IN AUDIO TRACK 9 WAS

THE AUDIO, fully available for edit.

Thank you again, it was in particular the query above re default source channel, etc.(which I had checked TWICE,

based on the suggestion, even though I KNEW that couldn't be the issue - but it was that query in particular

that led to me adding the described additional audio channels and finding the blasted hidden audio.

I have run into some bizarre issues, as haven't we all, but never anything like this.  Now I can finally

get on with my life and begin to respond to the outrage of some of my delayed customer production.