11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 12:41 PM by Steve Grisetti

converting sd to hd or vice versa

fishmor

Hi Guys -

If I have captured my video in PRE as SD (avi file) can PRE convert it to an HDV file? How about the other way around? (MPEG back to AVI)

Eric

• 1. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, sort of.

It can change change the resolution. But you may not be happy with the results.

Remember that HDV has over twice the horizontal and twice the video resolution of standard DV -- so you're essentially trying to quadruple the number of pixels!

In other words, you can blow it out so that a standard DV is as large as an HDV video -- but it's probably going to look pretty fuzzy.

You'll have better luck down-rezzing to standard DV from HDV. Although most HDV camcorders will do this for you using a feature called DV Lock.

What is it you're trying to ultimately do, Eric. There may be a more efficient way to do it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

Probably the best solution for SD to HD is Reg Giant's Magic Bullet InstantHD. It works well with PrPro, but do not know if it does with PrE. The Red Giant Web site should cover all program compatibilites.

There is another method, that was originally used for a very high quality HD to SD conversion, however some are using it to go the other way. It is outlined in this rather long ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
              fishmor Level 1

My camera downconverts from HDV to SD - just wondering if I can take those AVI clips and convert them - sounds like it might be easier to recapture my clips as HD clips, I have a CANON XHA1S so I have to playback  - still having lousy playback issues and not sure why, although when I capture clips that are downconverted to SD by the camera and bring them into a project that has a SD preset of 16:9, I no longer have a red line over them - Eric

• 4. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa

If you want hi-def video, why not just recapture your HDV as hi-def?

Downconverting just turns the hi-def into standard def video during capture. Your original footage is still HDV, right?

As I say in my books and tutorials, when you use the HDV project preset, Premiere Elements works with HDV footage natively, just as it does DV. You won't need to render your clips unless you add effects or titles to them, so they should work just as smoothly and as efficiently as DV.

But, again, if you'll tell us what you're trying to ultimately accomplish, we may be able to recommend the best possible workflow.

If, for instance, you're just going to output a DVD, which is standard def video, you might as well work with standard def video. It saves render time.

Likewise, if you're planning to post your work online, there's no point is making it hi-def.

A BluRay disc output is about the only output that justifies the time and resources of working in hi-def.

• 5. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
                  fishmor Level 1

Steve, Yes all my footage is high def - I was going to put some clips that were DV on U-Tube and I saw that there were 2 project presets in the 'Share on U-tube' section for high def and thought "well obviously this will look better on the internet if it is high def" - sounds like your saying if it is going on-line, then it's best to do standard def?  Then why the HDV options in PRE?

Thanks, Eric 

• 6. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa

Here's how to get the best qualiy on YouTube, from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Up-rezzing from standard DV to hi-def will make no difference whatsoever.

• 7. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
                      fishmor Level 1

Thanks guys, actually I still got bad results using the flow from the Felix G article but got better results from the John Cloudman method - my workflow using the first article was as follows:  Share/Personal Comp. and then the AVI preset in PRE and I selected DV standard.  I took this file and put it on
                      Windows Movie Maker timeline but the publish option in WMM doesn't allow you to save it to your hard drive so I selected the the "Burn a DVD" quality preset and saved it to my hard drive and then uploaded it to youtube but still got bad results.  BUT, I got better results from the John Cloudman advice and here's what I did -  the quicktime option in PRE gives me 2 presets, 128 k dual ISDN and a LAN preset so I chose the 128; the video tab would not let me do 1280 x 720 so I did 960 x 720; also it wouldn't let me do 44 kHz for the audio so I went with 48 kHz -

Why do these movie making programs have presets for sharing on the internet that are HD preset if HD doesn't make a difference in quality on the web?  Just curious cause I would like to upload some quality footage on the internet and I want it to look GOOD!!

Thanks again, Eric

• 8. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
                        fishmor Level 1

Hi Guys -

So say I have a big project and some guys want DVD's and some want Blu-Rays - I usually film everything in HD - do I have to build 2 projects in premiere or can I build the HD project and then convert it to SD in the end?

Eric

• 9. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa

As we've discussed in this thread, you're better off outputting your footage as a standard-def AVI (using Share/Personal Computer/AVI) and then importing that into a new project set up for standard DV.

If you do that, your output to DVD should go very smoothly.

• 10. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa
                            fishmor Level 1

Steve I'm not following you - I need to output the same project to DVD and to Blu-Ray - would rather not have to build 2 different projects

• 11. Re: converting sd to hd or vice versa

Output the BluRay project directly from your HD project.

Then use Share/Personal Computer/AVI to output a standard def AVI of your project. Open a new project -- using the standard DV specs -- load the AVI into it and output your DVD from there.

This is the best method for producing both a  BluRay and DVD from the same project.