4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 10:59 PM by GeorgeWS

Flex 3 vs Flash Builder 4

GeorgeWS Level 1

I have an Air app I made in Flex Builer 3. I am trying to understand how I compile it into and android APK file. I downloaded the ADT but do not know what to do with it. So after reading all about this topic I find that there is an eclipse plug in that looks (in a video) like you just right click the project and complile for Android and wala. But Im using Flex 3 and do not seem to be able to get that plugin. I downloaded Flash Builder 4 and have not installed it, because I do not want to screw up what I have. Does FB4 have the right stuff to accomplish publishing to my Android Incredable?

• 1. Re: Flex 3 vs Flash Builder 4
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi George,

Thanks for the interest in developing AIR apps for Android.  Your best bet would be to jump over to the following pages:

Adobe AIR for Android on Adobe Labs

Adobe AIR Beta Signup Page

Once you sign up for the beta, you'll get immediate access to user forums, documentation, and the latest prerelease sdk and runtime for Android development.

Chris

• 2. Re: Flex 3 vs Flash Builder 4
            GeorgeWS Level 1

Chris,

Thanks for the advice, I did what your saying, when I signed up the other day I could not find much. Im using Flex Builder 4 and cannot marry the Air2 zip with my FB4. this is where im stuck. The documents are out of date and there are miss typings in the documents that make it very hard to understand:

Im looking at the "How to overlay the AIR SDK for the use with the Flex SDK"

Confused because I'm using Flash Builder 4 is that the same thing?

next it says: Copy the contents an existing Flex SDK folder to a new folder. (not clearly written)

not sure what that means. make a new folder?

Then: copy the folder located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.2.0

Well in Flash Builder 4 sdks there is a 4.0.0 as well as the 3.2.0 should I be using that one?

This should take a super master about 5 minuts according to Ted Pattricks video. Where the video of how to set up your environment?

Thanks for your help

George

• 3. Re: Flex 3 vs Flash Builder 4
              chris.campbell Adobe Employee

I'll do my best to answer, though as you start digging deeper I'd really suggest using the prerelease forums.  There's a very active community in there and I'm sure they'll have better answers.

Confused because I'm using Flash Builder 4 is that the same thing?

The Flex SDK is included with Flash Builder 4 (found in the Adobe Flash Builder 4\sdks folder)

next it says: Copy the contents an existing Flex SDK folder to a new folder. (not clearly written)

not sure what that means. make a new folder?

The idea here is to make a backup of your sdk before it's modified.  I typically backup my skds\4.0.0 folder (or 3.2.0 as the Android release notes suggest) and rename them to something like "4.0.0 original" then I perform the overlay.  Having the backup is nice when new builds come out.  I can just make another copy and I know I'm using a fresh version of the flex sdk.  Alternatively you can also redownload builds of the flex sdk at http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/flexsdk/Flex+SDK if you really want to make sure you're using a pristine copy.

Then: copy the folder located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 3\sdks\3.2.0

Well in Flash Builder 4 sdks there is a 4.0.0 as well as the 3.2.0 should I be using that one?

I believe 4.0.0 can be used, but I can't guarentee it.  This is something you'd definitely want to get clarified on the prerelease forums.

This should take a super master about 5 minuts according to Ted Pattricks video. Where the video of how to set up your environment?

This is an excellent suggestion.  We're looking into ways to make this process easier but having an instructional video would be a great way to quickly help others with the overlay process.

Chris

• 4. Re: Flex 3 vs Flash Builder 4
                GeorgeWS Level 1

OK i am clear, Thanks alot. I have one last thing. from reading I need to update my decriptor file to air 2.5. Then What? How do I make my files into an apk file. (sorry for the need of hand holding). I think im asking what button do you push, Im 5 minutes away I can tell.