15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 11:19 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Content not showing

Zivelisation Level 1

I just opened an old Premier CS3 project in CS5 and all the folders appear to be empty. Only when I search for the file by typing the name into the search field do they become visible. Does anybody know how I can make them all appear (their are quite a few)?

• 1. Re: Content not showing
          Giorgio1957 Level 3

Is your CS5 a demo/trial one?

I've downloaded weeks ago a trial version and I got "frustrated" as many performances were unaccessible.

Deleted soon

Ciao

Giorgio

• 2. Re: Content not showing
            Zivelisation Level 1

No it's the full paid for version.

• 3. Re: Content not showing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

When you Import a Project, it will come in with its Bin structure. Have you opened ALL Bins?

Hope that your Assets are just hidden in the Bin structure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Content not showing
                jeremy d. Level 3

Please elaborate on "becoming visible" -- when you type names in the Search field, the media start appearing out of thin air in the project window?

• 5. Re: Content not showing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh yes, the media Search. Good one! Had not thought of that.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Content not showing
                    Zivelisation Level 1

I just relaunched CS5 and the contents (video clips) of all the bins showed up again. Though as soon as I type a name of a file into the search box above, the content disappears from the bins again. To find it, I have to quit Premier and lauch it again. It will remain displayed as long as I don't activate a search. This looks like a bug to me.

• 7. Re: Content not showing
                      shooternz Level 6

What happens when you clear the entry in the search box?

• 8. Re: Content not showing
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

They should all reappear again, just like when one does a query in the Effects Panel. When a query is started, it hides the items that do not match up to that query.

Now, I expect that you already knew that, and were just pointing that out to the OP.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Content not showing
                          Zivelisation Level 1

Ah yes, as soon as I clear the content from the search box, the content of the folder shows up again.

I don't know about any of you, but I am mystified why Adobe don't include a manual with the software.

I tried to use "Adobe Help", up comes a box which says: "Adobe Air. This installation of this application is damaged. Try re-installing or contacting the publisher for assistance." This message shows up with all Adobe CS5 programs.

I've already reinstalled the suit twice now. Where can I download a PDF manual from to learn more about the ins and outs of the program and what  the errors mean?

• 10. Re: Content not showing
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe had a really good manual, going back a bit.

The electronic "manual" is replacing those books (which I dearly love - but that is stated in another thread). The electronic versions can be almost instantly updated, or corrected. One of our contributors here, Todd with Adobe, specializes in the electronic Help files, and has an open thread on the subject, where he asks for input.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do strongly recommend the Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Pro CS5, Adobe Press. While it is not a manual, per se, it does a great job of introducing one to almost all aspects of the program, and also provides exact syntax to speed up Help searches. It is well-written and oh so very useful.

• 11. Re: Content not showing
                              Zivelisation Level 1

Thanks Bill. You mentioned the word "electronic manual". I could find no such thing on any of the three discs, which came with the program. The closest I got to a manual was the "Read me" file, nothing else, no other pdfs.

When I looked under "help" I keep getting the error message described earlier. Where can I download such manual from? I did a search on the Adobe website which returned nothing. Have I missed something important by jumping a whole generation from CS3 to CS5? May be I'm just thick?

• 12. Re: Content not showing
                                jeremy d. Level 3

You're looking for the User Guide pdf file, it should be on the Premiere Pro CS5 support page.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/index.html

Up in the right-hand corner, there's a link.

• 13. Re: Content not showing
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Regarding the Help document (which some people call the "user guide", but it's the same thing):

There are a few ways to get the same content.

One is to use the HTML pages on the Web, here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/

Another is to go to that same page and download the PDF document using the icon at the top of the page.

Yet another way is to press F1 or choose Help > Adobe Premiere Pro Help from within the application.

The problem with that last way is that it relies on an AIR application to display the content. If you're having problems with that AIR application---the Community Help Client---please report these issues to the people responsible for that application. They have their own forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp . And they need all the help they can get.

Personally, I use one of the first two options. I use the HTML version on the Web when I have an Internet connection, and I use the PDF version when I don't have an Internet connection.

As far as why there's no Help document on the disc, I address that on this thread.

I only just took over for Premiere Pro last week, but I hope to make the experience of finding information for Premiere Pro much better.

• 14. Re: Content not showing
                                    Zivelisation Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your help. It would be good if you could make the suggestion to Adobe to include the PDF document of the manual on the instalation or content disc and perhaps also the link to the Help section. This would save users some time searching and chasing around (searching "Premiers CS5 Manual" shows no usable returns when searched for).

• 15. Re: Content not showing
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> It would be good if you could make the suggestion to Adobe to include the PDF document of the manual on the instalation or content disc

As I said in the thread that I pointed to, the result of putting the PDF on the disc is that the document would be woefully incomplete, full of errors, out of date, and otherwise bad.

The reason is that time is required to test, proofread, translate, and otherwise process a document after the time that it's written. Because the software is only finished right before the installation disc is finalized, there is absolutely no way that the document about that software can be ready to go on that same installation disc. By putting the documents on the Web, we push the schedule out enough so that we can actually have good information in place when the software is released. And we can update the documents online to make more fixes and add information.

So, how could we do it in the past? We didn't. What you got in the past when the Help document was on the disc was just as bad as I indicated in my first paragraph.

In After Effects we do have some ways to get more directly to the Help document and related information, including a search field built into the top-right corner of the application window. If you'd like to make requests for how Help can be handled differently in Premiere Pro, please file a feature request.

You can (and should!) also tell the people who design and implement the Help software what you would like to see. They have their own forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp