14 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2012 7:36 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I export PART of a project's timeline?

Packerboy

I'm using APE-8.  I import clips, edit them, apply effects, and then want to export the resulting 30+ minute movie in several 5-10 minute segments.  I can't find any way to do this using the options and commands available.  It seems the only thing I can do is delete all the clips and scenes I DON'T want in the 5-10 minute segment, export the project, and then reload the previously saved project, delete other clips and scenes that don't belong to my second conceptual 5-10 minute segment, export that, and so on and so on.

This is so unbelievably tedious and error-prone that I have to believe there is a better way.  I have searched and found references to a Work Area Bar and how it might be used to control the export range, but that seems to apply only to APE-7, not APE version 8.

• 1. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You will want to use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit what is Exported/Shared. Note: not every possible format will allow for this, but most will have an Export Work Area available and you will want to check that.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

WAB_Info_01.jpg

That is a look at the WAB from PrE 4, but PrE 8 will be very similar.

Export_Work_Area.jpg

Here's the Share Work Area Bar Only from the MPEG screen in PrE 4.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
              Packerboy Level 1

That was exactly what I needed, Bill.

Until you showed me the check box on rendering the work area, I didn't know it was there.  That part was below the "split" in the windows, the way my screen was set up.  Until then, no matter what I did with the work area bar, it rendered the whole project.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

I have found it a bit difficult to get my GUI display to provide really good contrast in PrE. I can spot individual pixels in PrPro, but have to squint mightily in PrE. Also, I have been bitten by those scroll bars in various panels, but that is because I have PrE on my 17" laptop and am used to PrPro on dual-21" monitors. That is not PrE's fault, but the small, limited display on my laptop.

Glad that you found it, and good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                  P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Hunt,

This is great to know!  I was wondering about that myself.

Thanks a million!

Petey

• 6. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

You are most welcome. One of the best references to the use of the WAB, that I have seen, is in Steve Grisetti's PrE books. Even with PrPro, back when they had a real manual, some of the useful details were omitted, so it is up to the fora to point users to all the nuances, and also to point out where the WAB is very useful.

Tip: ever wanted to know the Duration of some part of your Timeline with multiple Clips? Place the "brackets" on the WAB on the In & Out Points of that segment (does not have to be on any In, or Out Points of any Clip, can be the middle of one, and the middle of another, with any number of Clips in between), and hover the cursor over the little "box" in the middle of the WAB, and read the info. I use this when I need to create SmartSound pieces for little sections in the Timeline.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                      P_Forrest Level 1

That's great Hunt!

Thanks for the tips.  Thanks to Steve's great book but it doesn't seem for sale on amazon.ca.

I tend to waltz in and out of this forum due to other projects on the go (meaning my infernal laziness)  hehe, but I like to get back into browsing the messages.  Steve and you should get a medal for providing such excellent support for this product.

I'm tempted to upgrade my CS2 Photoshop to the Creative Suite 5 (Production Premium) so I can get the new Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Flash, and I want After Effects so I can make my snow in my videos!!!   The only problem is that I would have to buy a new custom computer for video and music.  I have the cash, but I'm not sure I want to replace my PC yet.  I've got all my other software to upgrade.  That can be a real headache.

I'm drinking white cranberry cider this evening and I'll meditate on it!   hehe

cheerio,

Petey

• 8. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm glad to ship a book to Canada if you'd like, Petey. Just let me which you'd like and send me a private message at Steve at Muvipix dot com.

I think you can see all of the books I've written at the Muvipix store on this page.

• 9. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I did not realize that you had translated your books into English-Canadian!

That is nice of you, but I would not expect any less, considering the gentleman, that you are. Also, Canada is not THAT far north of Milwaukee...

BTW - do you ever pick up on the Royal Canadian Air Farce? Great programs and quite funny, even if a US listener does not pick up on all of the Canadian political references.

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Canada is such an interesting country. The second largest country in the world, in terms of land mass -- but with a population that's less than that of the state of California.

No wonder everyone is so friendly there! They've got so much room to spread out!

• 11. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                              P_Forrest Level 1

Hi Steve,

Well in Canada, we have two months of summer and 10 months of winter!  I'm surprised we're in such a good mood after all that.  hehe   I've sent you an email at muvipix.com about buying two of your books. I need some reading during the long winter and I hear they're written in Canadian English, eh.

Canadians tend to blurt out "sorry" automatically even when it's the other person's fault.  The only grouchy Canadians I know are the ones (including myself) on the Finale (score notation) forum.  hehe

My grandparents were from Finland so they moved from one country with tons of space and very few people to another country with tons of space and few people.  Why even move???   hehehe

Petey

@Hunt:  I believe Air Farce finally gave up the ghost last year.

• 12. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Petey,

I believe Air Farce finally gave up the ghost last year.

That is sad. Going back some time, a friend's dad from Windsor, used to send cassette tapes of some of their shows. He recorded all, and then edited them down into 2 hr. segments. They had me in stitches, though I did have to often look up some of the recipients of their brand of humor.

Thanks for the update,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                                  2old2bserious

I happened to pick up this thread yesterday and the item on the Air Farce.  They were funny but some of the stuff on CBC Radio was even better and most are not dependant on contextual information such as politics.  Three or four decades ago I used to tape some programs and have taken the trouble to digitize a bunch. If there was some way I would be happy to send you some mp3 files at around 5MB each but I don't believe it could be done on this medium. If I put my e-mail address in this reply I guess it would go public unless you have a gate.

Bob P

from Canada

• 14. Re: How do I export PART of a project's timeline?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob P,

Please do not put any personal info in this open forum, as there ARE spam'bots, that crawl all day, harvesting POP account data.

Since my retirement, I have closed down my FTP site, so that is not an option.

I appreciate the offer, but due to the © nature of the material, it is probably best that I just Google CBC Radio and see what is available on YouTube, or similar, but I thank you for the offer.

Thank you and take care,

Hunt