0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 3:25 PM by joycegraff

Can't PUT files from Dreamweaver CS4 on Windows 7

joycegraff

I am having a funny problem and don’t know who to ask, so let me try you, please.

<p>I did try deleting my cache as advised on the top page of this Forum.  No change to the behavior described here.

<p>My colleague Robin and I both do website updates.  We work off the same local file set on the server, in shared space.

<p>We both connect (obviously) to the same website, through the same account.  We have been doing this for years.

Robin is using Dreamweaver version 8, I am using Dreamweaver CS4 (one step ahead of Robin’s version).  Again, we have been using these versions for over a year.

<p>Lately I have been unable to connect to the server.  For the last month or so I have been unable to PUT files from Dreamweaver CS4 from my Windows 7 laptop computer.  This is true both from the office (via firewall and DSL) and from home (over a high-speed internet line, no firewall)

<p>Tonight in the office I decided I would get to the bottom of it.  Here’s what my testing has unearthed.

<p>Robin and I both are using exactly the same web definitions and firewall settings in Dreamweaver (I checked).

<p>Robin’s computer works normally – I create the file locally, then PUT or SYNCH the new files to the server.

<p>Joyce’s computer I can create the files locally, but cannot PUT files to the server.  When I test the connections, the test of the web prefix succeeds (so Dreamweaver is seeing the internet) but the PUT fails.  I lengthened the server timeout, and it still fails.  Here is the log from Dreamweaver:

<p>< 220 DreamHost FTP Server
      > USER vhlweb2
      < 331 Password required for vhlweb2
      > PASS
      < 230 User vhlweb2 logged in
      > PWD
      < 257 "/" is the current directory
      > CWD /vhl.org
      < 250 CWD command successful
      > PWD
      < 257 "/vhl.org" is the current directory

< 220 DreamHost FTP Server
      > USER vhlweb2
      < 331 Password required for vhlweb2
      > PASS
      < 230 User vhlweb2 logged in
      > PWD
      > PWD

> CWD /vhl.org
      < 250 CWD command successful
      > PWD
      < 257 "/vhl.org" is the current directory
      > QUIT
      < 425 Unable to build data connection: No route to host

<p>So I am getting logged in, but for some reason it cannot establish the correct handshake with the server.  The suggestion from Dreamweaver is to toggle Passive FTP.  But when I do that, I lose the ability to edit files locally and PUT them down.  I did that some this weekend (updating overtonfirst.net), but it is much more clumsy and results in a local file set that is out of synch with the server – not a great alternative.

<p>I am going to submit this also to Dreamhost (website host) and see if I can get suggestions from them.  If you can think of anything, please let me know.

<p>I can log in using FTP (define a network place) and can pass files to the server that way.  I have been using that work-around somewhat as well.

<p>Thank you,
      Joyce