20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2010 12:31 PM by peterjnoble

MAC graphics card debacle

G_W Level 1

So currently in Australia there are no graphics card upgrade options for the MacPro to take advantage of the MPE.

Check out the apple store:

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?mco=MTM3ODc3MTY

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 Discontinued

GeForce GTX 285 Discontinued

I cant even find one of these cards in a retail shop or a Mac reseller.

Of coarse Apple staff have no information as to what's going on. Are there new products coming? Anytime? Soon?

Seems like these cards are still available in the states.

So what do we do? import?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Glenn

• 1. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have NO idea if the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 will work on a Mac... but over in the PC world there have been several reports of other cards being made to work with MPE, such as the GTX 470 or 480

• 3. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
            Taverino Level 2
            Are there new products coming? Anytime? Soon?

There are good reasons to hope that new Mac Pro models are around the corner; the line is due for a refresh with more powerful processors. I was hoping something might be announced at WWDC this week. Well, maybe next week.....

Apple knows that many of its Mac Pro users like me depend heavily on Adobe Creative Suite products. I hope the squabbling over Flash and the competition between PPro and FCP have not prevented Apple and Adobe (and NVIDIA) from working closely for the benefit of their joint customers.

If you decide to upgrade your Mac with a new graphics card, make sure it supports MPE cards. The Mac Pro model I have has 667MHz memory. According to Apple, the FX 4800 is only compatible with:

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with 1066MHz DDR3 memory) or Mac Pro (Early 2008 with 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory)

I plan to upgrade to a new Mac Pro as soon as they are available. I'll be looking closely at performance and graphics support and I/O (USB 3). If I sense a lack of commitment from Apple, I may very well switch back to Windows.

• 4. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
              Jim_Simon Level 8

So what do we do?

Get a PC, of course.

• 5. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                AWP-Video

Seems like you and I have complementary problems. I just won a brand new Nvidia FX 4800 for Mac. I can't use it and am looking to sell it at a discounted price. I would love to make a deal with you. The problem is we live on different continents. I live just outside New York City. If you have a suggested solution, feel free to email me.

• 6. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                  Nick Hampson

Before you buy a card make sure it will actually work, I have just bought the GTX 285 Mac in the UK, and when fitted it does nothing in PP CS5 for Mac. I contacted support gave them full specs of my machine and got some, I have to say Lame, response saying I needed at least 8Gb of RAM and a better Graphics card. Having just put into the details i have a 8 core mac pro 3.2Ghz, 8Tb of Disk, Apple RAID card, 16Gb or RAM and just had bought at GTX285 as it was on the site as a supported card, I wasn't very pleased. I have re-contacted support for a hopefully better answer and I'll post details as soon as I know.

12 years of Adobe products and this is my first experience with Adobe support, I'm so glad I keep upgrading my Master Collection  so I could be treated like some 12 year old kid by people who cant even be bothered to read the support details.

If you want a laugh or possibly cry if your and Adobe employee check it out below;

Post;

I have a 8xcore 3.2 MacPro, OSX 10.6.3, 16Gb RAM and just fitted a Nvidia GTX285 card, checked out the videos and looked under proje
                  ct settings, general and the selection for software or hardware Mercury is not selectable and set to software only.
                  I seem to have all the right hardware for this on CS5.
                  I tried a reboot just in case still the same.
                  Operating System: Mac OS X (v10.6)
                  Video display card / driver version: Nvidia GTX 285 Mac
                  Has it ever worked? If so, what's changed? (provide comments in description field): No
                  Same results with different file?: Not Applicable
                  Same results with different computer?: Not Applicable
                  Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Yes

Reply;

Nick,I would like to inform you that the minimum RAM required to use
                  Premiere Pro CS5 is 8 GB and if you are using any other software then
                  you need atleast a minimum of 16GB of RAM.It requires a lot of space
                  aswell.I would suggest you to please increase your RAM and also upgrade
                  your Graphic card.

I would suggest you to please have a look on this video : http://tv.adob
                  e.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/optimize-a-computer-for-mercury-playback-engine

I hope this will address your concern.

• 7. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                    jeremy d. Level 3

This particular bit of advice is being addressed specifically internally

Nick,I would like to inform you that the minimum RAM required to use
                    Premiere Pro CS5 is 8 GB and if you are using any other software then
                    you need atleast a minimum of 16GB of RAM.It requires a lot of space
                    aswell.I would suggest you to please increase your RAM and also upgrade
                    your Graphic card.
                    • 8. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                      jabloomf1230 Level 1

Those RAM requirements don't surprise me, since the system in question is a dual Xeon workstation. Each CPU manages it's own banks of RAM, so effectively, each CPU would have 4 GB as a minimum and 8 GB optimally.

• 9. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                        G_W Level 1

Copy and paste response... thats a little sad.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially when I just happened to find this card in a small shop in Australia. I take delivery tomorrow so I will let you know how I go.

The GTX 285 Mac card is listed on the CS5 compatible graphics website (like you said). Also the last update for Premiere Pro (5.0.1) included a fix specifically for this card. Stands to reason that your problem stems from something else but I could be wrong.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with my results.

Cheers

Glenn

• 10. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Copy and paste response... thats a little sad.

What's sad about it?  Jeremy was specifically addressing the advice a previous poster got from Adobe TS and he indicated that the advice was being addressed internally.  That usually means that someone at Adobe recognizes the advice as, shall we say, less than optimal and it will be corrected.

Jeremy's post is yet another indication that Adobe recognizes its current TS model is flawed and that processes are in place to improve it.  Adobe employee presence here in the forums is like a downpayment on that correction.

Far from sad; it's a sign of better things to come.  However, I'm willing to bet that if enough users antagonize the employees here (as was done in the past) that their presence will diminish to nothing (as also occurred in the past) and once again we will all be left on our own to wonder, "what happened?"

You may want to think twice about the long-term ramifications for *everyone* before you start taking pot-shots at the folks from Adobe.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                            G_W Level 1

My fault. I should have clarified that my post was in regards to the original cut and paste response from Adobe in which Jeremy has indicated wasn't up to scratch.

The presence of Adobe employees in this and the After Effects forum is invaluable. I have had nothing but great experiences in interacting with them and thank them for their time.

• 12. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                              Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Nick, your problem is most likely the driver version.  Try downloading & installing these:

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/3_0/drivers/cudadriver_3.0.14_macos.dmg

Beyond that, if you're still having issues, please provide more details as to what's happening...

Cheers

• 13. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                Nick Hampson Level 1

Thanks Will, looks like your right I hit the Nvidia site an got a huge red warning about needing an updated CUA driver to get CS5 support. I'll give it a try as soon as I'm in the office.

Looks like the issue is down to Nvidia as I had a 8800GT card already when I ran the driver CD it said I didn't need anything. I suppose this is a being a 'on  a Mac' issue as I've just become so trusting of software updates doing their job, if I'd had this on a Windows PC I think I'd have been looking for driver updates as soon as I got the card.

Thanks again to Will for the advice and to Jeremy for making Adobe support feel human again, it was my first support experience and anyone can make mistakes, as I did, not researching driver updates I'll be a little less trusting of apple software update in the future.

• 14. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  I'll be a little less trusting of apple software update in the future.

In fact its not a bad idea to turn all auto updates off  (MAC or Windows) and manually check for updates as and when it suit yourself.

• 15. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                    jeremy d. Level 3

100%

That's the first thing I turn off when I reimage a computer. Not only does it afford the user some control over their system, they also know which updates are there and (often) why.

I am averse, in general, to Nanny OS.

shooternz wrote:

I'll be a little less trusting of apple software update in the future.

In fact its not a bad idea to turn all auto updates off  (MAC or Windows) and manually check for updates as and when it suit yourself.

• 16. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                      G_W Level 1

So Jeremy does the MAC OS search for new drivers for the graphics card or is it a NVidia search update?

• 17. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                        G_W Level 1

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I received the GTX 285 this morning. I had the same initial result as Nick with the MPE not showing up. I then installed the Cuda drivers that Will posted (doubt I would have found these otherwise, thanks Will).

Performance is fantastic.

2008 MacPro 2.8 8core, 16GB Ram, GTX 285

OSX 10.6.3

Cheers

Glenn

• 18. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                          Nick Hampson Level 1

Back in the office today, as just as you said Will the CUDA update does solve the issue, Mercury playback running great now, thx again for the help.

Thx
                                          Nick

• 19. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                            jeremy d. Level 3

I left you hanging, sorry.

I don't think Mac gets nVidia updates, someone else should confirm this.

G_W wrote:

So Jeremy does the MAC OS search for new drivers for the graphics card or is it a NVidia search update?

• 20. Re: MAC graphics card debacle
                                              peterjnoble

I do not know if you have sold this card or not. I live in NYC and I am looking for a decently priced FX 4800 for my early 2009 MacPro.

www.oxenburgh.com

I need Adobe more than I need Apple. If nVidia is the card to use and at the moment I can only buy an out production FX 4800 or a near extinct GTX 285 then I really need to buy with a discount.

If you have not sold let me know. If you have I am thinking of turning my MacPro into a Windows 7 Ultimate and using a high end nVidia Card for 400 bucks less than the cheapest Quadro which pays for the Ultimate.

The lack of choice is nothing compared ot the total silence from Apple and nvidia and Adobe. I would cinsider buying the latest MacPro is they said by Sepetmber there will be a gamin and top end choice from nvidia.

But now we only have the choice in America of buying nearly out of sotck GTX or near full price for end of run Quadro which may or may not have supported drivers when the next OSX upgrade comes round.