9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 10:54 AM by coltmccormack

How do you place text inside other text?

coltmccormack

I am looking to type out a single large word and then fill it with a paragraph of text. In this case, a single 400pt word which I want to fill with 12pt text (and then remove the original word so that the paragraph of text shapes the word). Basically something somewhat like this but I do not need the text to be oriented in different ways or distorted. Essentially what I think I need to do is find a way to make the area text tool work with the outlines that I create from my text. I would use a mask, but that would cut off words that I need to remain intact and readable. I believe the technique is called micrography but google didn't turn up much information. It is okay if the text is a little bit distorted, like what may occur with an envelope distort (which I also couldn't get to work very well), but not too much as we are working with fairly small text.

• 1. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
          Anish Singla Adobe Employee

- Type the large word that you want to fill with other text

- Select it and Create outlines (Type->Create Outlines)

- Ungroup it (Object->Ungroup), you will get compound paths

- Release Compound paths  (Object->Compund Path ->Release)

- Now you will get characters of word as paths, you can use the Area Type tool to type text in these.

• 2. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is a way of putting text into other text but that was not what was done in the example.

What they did was to use the text fro the word Brooklyn s a template or if you wish stencil.

They then type all the names as separate text strings and then  worked each name to fit into some part of the word brooklyn and adjusted each name and characters if necessary to conform with the form of the characters in the word BROOKLYN.

This is one of those effects that is nothing more than hard work.

If on the other hand you just want text in other text then the above is a good way.

In other words there is no trick to this one. someoe worked on it say for an hour or tow or three.

• 4. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
              coltmccormack Level 1

Yes I tried the Outlines-> Release compound method first but it always gives me a please select a non-compound and non-masking path error every time I attempt to use the area type tool. Also, the word I am using is 'PARKOUR' so I need to retain the "holes" that form the centers of P, A, R, and O.

And yes Wade I realize that this could be done by hand but I will be using a whole paragraph of small text so what I am looking for is more something along the lines of a textbox in the shape of my word (or really any custom path I guess). Almost like a word wrap, but wrapping inside the path rather than around it if that makes sense.

This is what I am currently working with (the shape and text):

http://imgur.com/5QK0O.jpg

• 5. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

If you mean something like this I can tell you how to do it and the text will sort of be alive. I deliberately left some text rag on the left so you can see it is a continuos text string but it is no area text .

Screen shot 2010-06-09 at 3.39.47 AM.png

The suspense is killing me…I'll talk I'll talk.

Make  back background say a black filled rectangle place some ext over it and give it a white fill.

Then place the large ext over that white text, it can have any kind of fill.

The select both the large text and smaller white text behind it and hit Command 7 or Object>Clipping Path>Make.

Voila

• 6. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
                  Anish Singla Adobe Employee

I am able to use the Area type tool without any error, perheps compund path was not released. you also need to ungroup the objects after creating outlines. To keep the wholes of the words I have used following steps::

- Select all the paths that are created after ungroup and release compound path

- Deselct the Paths that make holes in these letters

- Create Threaded text

- Now select the paths that make holes in those letters

- Change the fill color of these paths to background color

- Create Text wrap of these paths

This way i was able to tyep text in the word.

• 7. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Anish is absolutely correct you can do this as they describe I did a video of their technique. It goes like this:

http://gallery.me.com/wzphoto2/100157

Watch the whole movie and you will see you accomplish what you want.

• 8. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There is an advantage to using the clipping path instead of making the area text out of the letters

which is you can mathe the color background fill shape any color or gradient or pattern fill.

Screen shot 2010-06-09 at 9.27.30 AM.png

• 9. Re: How do you place text inside other text?
                        coltmccormack Level 1

Anish thank you very much. I had ungrouped/released correctly but have never used the area type tool and was trying to use it incorrectly, as well as not creating threaded text. You have gotten the closest to what I want. I am going to try it in a bit.

Wade as I said above I realize that I could use a clipping mask but the problem with this is that it will clip off letters/words and I need all of them to be readable. The effect I am going for is a very readable definition(the block of text) which has been laid out to form the word it is defining (Parkour). Also I do not have any need for backgrounds or gradients as this is being developed into a single ink t-shirt. Thank you for your help though.

Edit: Anish that worked wonderfully. Thank you sir.