7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2010 11:50 AM by jorundrj

Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing

jorundrj Level 1

Hi,

I'm quite new with Flash so I've encountered my first problem. I hope some of you can help me:

I've made a little intro in Flash for my wife's website that contains few text transitions (alpha change put into the motion tween). The title is on one layer with such a transition (fades in), subtitle is on the second layer also with alpha transition (fades in) and also there's a third layer with some text that fades out. So all transitions are made on different layers. When I play the movie in Flash (by clicking Enter) everything looks ok and just as I wanted.

But when I use "Test movie" (Ctrl+Enter) or I publish the movie and see it in the browser something is wrong. It's like my intro misses some transitions. Some of them work ok, but some of them aren't and the text appears instantly without any transition I've placed - just like the transition haven't been made. Strange because all of them are made in the same way. What is wrong with it?

I've got two of such projects made (intro for a website and the website loading) packed in 1 archive (safe rar download), here's the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ijsn9

I hope someone can point places where I've made errors and clear the mess a bit. It's my very first job in flash I've ever made.

Thank you in advance!

Greets,

J.J.

• 1. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I cannot point to the errors, partly becayuse when I play the file using Test Movie or view it in a browser it appears to play fine.  But from what I can see in the library there is evidence of improper tweening.  Every one of the Tween # objects in the library represents Flash trying to fill in what it otherwise cannot reconcile in the tweens you created.

Since I cannot see the problem, the only thing I can offer is that when you do a timeline tween, you must be sure to use the same library object at both ends of the tween.  From what I saw in one file you have a few of the same graphic symbols, so you may have mixed them up.... if you use symbol 1 at the start of a tween, then you must have symbol 1 at the other end.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
            yachts99-2vTvY1 Level 2

Firstly I would use Movie clips rather than Graphic symbols. I'm not sure if you can apply tweens to graphic symbols.

Also you have some nested graphics - for instance, Symbol 5 contains another graphic symbol (Symbol 3) which contains a text field.

If you turn Symbol 5 into a Movie Clip and then add just the text field inside it (delete Symbol 3) it should work, at least it does for me.

Also ensure that each instance of Symbol 5 on the timeline is a Movie Clip by clicking on each instance and then looking in the properties panel. The drop down menu under Instance name needs to show "Movie Clip".

I think most of the problems you're encountering may be due to nested symbols.

• 3. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can tween graphic symbols on the timeline, and graphic symbols can contain other symbols.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
                yachts99-2vTvY1 Level 2

That's good to know Ned, thanks.

I have got the file to work correctly (showing the alpha tween on part of the text) by deleting the nested symbol and adding the text field into the top most clip.

I just think the nested clips are playing a part in the file not working correctly.

• 5. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
                  jorundrj Level 1

Thank you for replies. I've checked these two files and made tweens again from the beginning. I've checked if the same symbol is used at the beginning and the end of the tween. Also I tried to make tweens out of movie clips with a text-field inside as you suggested. Well, it's still the same, tweens don't work, except the very first one I've made which is the grey bar in the middle of the website that fades in. The rest of tweens (made with text fields) don't work at all, no matter how I make them. I use the same symbol for one tween and make sure it is correct. Maybe there's something wrong with tweens that contain a particular thing - like in this case - a text? because the tween with a huge grey bar only works fine. I still have the same problem and can't fix it according to advices, so any suggestions, pls?

Greets

J.J.

• 6. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
                    yachts99-2vTvY1 Level 2

I've opened your file example.fla and taken a look at the Publish settings. You are publishing for AS 2.0 and Flash Player 8.

When I change to publish for FP 9, the tweens still do not work but when I publish for FP 10 (still with AS 2.0) the tweens start working correctly.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm using CS5 and it's handling tweens differently somehow or for some other reason. What version are you using?

• 7. Re: Problem with testing preview and movie look after publishing
                      jorundrj Level 1

I've already figured it out. That was the text area problem because tweens with only graphic symbols work ok. Just the text didn't want to tween. So now everything works fine with animations. I dunno what is that but it can be fixable by using graphic symbols.

Thank you for your reply and help