28 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 5:57 PM by stnicks

Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5

vooray1 Level 1

I am having trouble capturing footage from my HDV Canon xha1 camera via firewire into Premier CS5. It recognizes the camera is connected but says the format is wrong and it can't record.  When I try and modify capture settings it only gives me a DV option. No HDV or any other format.   Can someone help on this? Please, please.  Thank you!!

• 1. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If you are on a trial version, you should have read the trial limitations:

For the reading impaired, in large font:

*The trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 does not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of this product.

If you have the full paid version, check your camera settings.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
            vooray1 Level 1

i do now have the full version and am getting the error, "input format not supported by this recorder".  My camera settings are fine I believe, it imported fine into CS4.  I have the Capture settings set to DV because that is still the only option it gives me.  When I first opened adobe it gave me a lot of different options that I don't see anymore.  However, on the video help preview, for capturing, I watched it shows how to select DSLR footage for direct import into adobe but I don't even see that as an option.  It just has a few options for the 1080i and 1080p.  I don't even see that option anymore. Please help!

• 3. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
              vooray1 Level 1

This is what I am dealing with in the image attached.  It only gives me the option to capture in DV.  I can't figure out how to get the bigger list so I can try different capture settings.  everything from DSLR to other HDV formats.  Picture 1.png

• 4. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you be more specific: capture and import are two completely different and unrelated animals, like a grouse and a herring.

Adobe Forums: A glossary of video terms

Ingest for a DSLR can not be captured, only imported. Capturing is limited to tape based cameras over firewire, HDV or DV. Nothing else.

• 5. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                  vooray1 Level 1

I am dealing with capturing directly through firewirePicture 3.png.  I was able to at least get it to recognize my camera but now it gives me the error in the attached images below.  It says "Recorder captured no frames". please help!!

• 6. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                    jeremy d. Level 3

Have you verified that the output on your camera is set to HDV, and not DV?

• 7. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                      vooray1 Level 1

Yes, it says HDV/DV IN.

• 8. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

What does it say about the signal OUT?

• 9. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is what you must be able to see when making a new sequence.

If not i think you registered copy never turn to full.

new sequence.png

• 10. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                            kaelenhebert

I'm having the same problem with the same camera.  I was on the phone with the adobe support person last night and the final answer he gave me was that "Premiere cannot import high definition video from tape at all (just standard video)...to capture hi-def, it has to be from a video card, etc."  The guy didn't seem real confident in what he was saying and I find it amazing that Premiere can't capture ANY hi-def video from tape but that's what he told me.  If anyone has an answer on this topic, PLEASE share....the Adobe customer support has been VERY disappointing so far and I've got a brand new camera sitting around that is potentially useless to me because of this issue....thanks.

• 11. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

This Adobe nitwit is utterly wrong. Of course you can capture HDV. No problem. Shame on Adobe to hire these idiots that spread such nonsense. Reason for immediate dismissal IMO.

Adobe, make sure that you have Qualified personnel on your first line help, not some nitwit who spreads the wrong message because of lack of understanding or knowledge.

The A1 / G1 / H1 are not the most intuitive cameras to setup for capturing HDV, but if you check your camera manual you must be able to set the output signal to HDV.

• 12. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First set everything to hdv (1080i/576, not auto) in the camera in Record and Play mode.

Set up a hdv sequence in Premiere with

Close everything down.

Connect camera to pc and switch it on.

Open Premiere in the sequence you just made

Open capture window, make sure capture settings are set to hdv

Now you should be able to capture

Do not connect the camera to the pc while its on, it will blow up your firewire connection.

when changing settings in the camera make sure you disconnect from firewire first, otherwise Premiere wont see the changes.

• 13. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                  vooray1 Level 1

I am pretty sure its set up HDV out/DV in. Does that sound right?

• 14. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                    vooray1 Level 1

The crazy thing is I haven't changed a thing since I captured into CS4.  I just don't understand how it could have

changed that much.

• 15. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                      Valter Vilar Level 2

Very stupid question, when you play the tape in camera, the blue light on the dial shows HDV or DV?

• 16. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                        jeremy d. Level 3

We know, we know, we know

I have said it a bunch of times already, the entire company knows. Everybody.

They are actively trying to fix the situation. Please remember that they have to find and hire those qualified people, and train the ones they have, and that takes some time. They have only recently started. I'm sure you've seen the letter on the Adobe web site explaining what's happening in tech support.

Adobe, make sure that you have Qualified personnel on your first line help, not some nitwit who spreads the wrong message because of lack of understanding or knowledge.

• 17. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                          jeremy d. Level 3

This guy was confusing HDV and HD.

That's no excuse, it's just what he read.

kaelenhebert wrote:

I'm having the same problem with the same camera.  I was on the phone with the adobe support person last night and the final answer he gave me was that "Premiere cannot import high definition video from tape at all (just standard video)...to capture hi-def, it has to be from a video card, etc."  The guy didn't seem real confident in what he was saying and I find it amazing that Premiere can't capture ANY hi-def video from tape but that's what he told me.  If anyone has an answer on this topic, PLEASE share....the Adobe customer support has been VERY disappointing so far and I've got a brand new camera sitting around that is potentially useless to me because of this issue....thanks.

• 18. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeremy,

Let me add some remarks on Adobe.

The dedication, commitment and communication of the Adobe staff involved with CS5 and any point releases after that are EXEMPLARY.

It gives me very high hopes for the future, and it can't be said enough: You have all done a fabulous job giving us the most stable, fast and reliable version ever.

I only hope that all your good work and that of your colleagues is not undone by some foul ups in TS.

• 19. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                              jeremy d. Level 3

I appreciate that.

I'm sure you can sense my frustration, just as I understand yours, not with the comments here -- which are all valid -- but with TS and its effect on me, you, and our users.

The posts of late on this subject have generated some interest, so feel free to vent. I will contain myself.

• 20. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case, let me vent some more:

The presence of all Adobe employees here, and excuse me if I forget to mention anyone explicitly, but Dennis, Wil, Todd, Jeremy and Sheri are the most noteworthy people here, let me assure you that most users here have that nice, comfy feeling about your active participation here and the tons of valuable info and expertise you share. This is pretty new to us, but it surely is appreciated and shows how committed Adobe is to making things even better.

Congrats and thanks for all your efforts.

• 21. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                  fordchevyman

I have a Canon XH-A1 and I can capture HDV in pro cs5 on a my Mac perfectly. The only thing I'v not figured out is why you can't see the video on the capture screen in pro cs5. You have to watch the camera for the preview. But once your done everything is in clear hd 1080i with great sound. Like I say I'm running it on a intel xeon quad core Mac pro. I've only had mine for a week now. So there has got to be something wrong that happend in the install period. I would reformat the hard drive and reload everything again if you have a PC. As for the mac version it works perfect other than the caption on the capture window see camera for preview, which might be a setting that I've not learned yet.

• 22. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                    Valter Vilar Level 2

We have the same camera and Mac here and it has always been like that when capturing: no Preview in PPro, which doesn't

bother me at all.

Quote: ...But once your done everything is in clear hd 1080i with great sound... - the only thing I don't like is the interlaced part of it. I can clearly see the difference in motion between the XHA1 motion and a consumer camera that can do 60P, however the image quality itself is EXCELLENT! The camera comes with a Canon Fluorite lens (red ring lens) which in itself is one of the highest quality lens you can attach to a camera.

Now the bottleneck is the tape. It takes one hour to get the material from the camera! See how jaded we've become?

• 23. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                      tlangfordindk

Hi.

I was having getting a "no capture settings defined" warning when trying to capture some HDV footage into CS5. To avoid anyone making the same mistake as me, make sure that your project settings are set to HDV, as per the screenshot from Ann Bens' post.

I'd set my project to AVCHD as I was ingesting a mix of footage from my HXR-NX5 and an HDV vidcam. My solution is to create a new HDV project, import the footage, reopen the AVCHD project and import the HDV footage into that....

• 24. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                        HeijnMandarijn

This might be a little late but I was experiencing the EXACT same problems when trying to capture HDV with my Canon XH-A1.

I used to get errors saying no capture settings were defined, while I clearly set every single possible option to HDV and when I tried capturing once more after all the settings where defined, I wouldn't be offered the option to save the capture nor would Premiere Pro automatically do this for me. When capturing with this cam on CS4 everything would be fine.

My solution:
                                                        To my surprise, my classmate and I found out that the only difference during capturing with both CS was that with CS4, we had to manually press the play button after pressing the record to start capturing our footage.
                                                        Whenever we tried recording on CS5 and pressed the record button, the footage automatically started playing. So what we tried was, we manually pressed the play button (on our device, I'm not sure whether this would work when pressing play in Premiere) and afterwards pressed the recording button in Premiere Pro.
                                                        This time the footage was automatically saved and added to the project files in Premiere Pro CS5.

I hope this works out for you aswell!

• 25. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                          Video in Berlin

I had the same problem, after weeks of research in English, Spanish, Italian and French I was glad my second lenguage is German. I understood that the problem is with the Canon XH A1, not with Premiere, or the Fire-Wire card. It was also hard, because I don't have the software. I must always go to a little Internet TV Studio were they allow me to do my projects. Premiere is amazing, but it is just to expensive. But well, no more tears.

You don't need any plug-ins or other software. Don't go and install some other stuff the people recommend you.

Follow this steps as a samble of recomendations I also found during this long research:

Step1

Turn off Premiere and turn of your Camcorder.Put off the Fire-Wire cable. (otherwise the changes could not get recognized or even your Fire-Wire card could get some damage).

Step2

Turn on the camcorder again in VCR/Play mode. Go to the "menu" and select, the first one: "signal setup":

Step3

Choose this presets (this and not others!)

"Time code": (inside: count-up:rec-run, HDV/DV in: regen.) I din't mess with this part, so I am not sure if it has an influence, so just leave it like that).

"Playback": auto

"Comp.out": 1080i/576i

"av-dv": off!!!!!!!!!!!

and the most important thing:

"HD Down-conv": off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this seems to be the major problem!)

"Letterbox": off

If you set it different, it may work, it may don't. I had the message "restricted playback", just because I had the "Playback" settings as HD, it must be "auto"! So, just do it like this.

Another thing. I have reed it is better to push the play button at your camcorder and later the record button at Premiere.

And it works, so enjoy and let me know if it helped you. (si no entienden algo, puedo traducirlo a espaniol.

Link in German were I got the solution:

http://www.slashcam.de/info/Premiere-CS-3---Canon-XH-A1---HD-Capture-Problem---zum-Maeuse- mel-431906.html

Nice day!

• 26. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                            rwbrahm2

I was having the same issue except it was with the Sony HDR-HC9 HDV camera. I set all of my settings in camera and in premiere. It would not let me select HDV when I first created the video I could only select DV. I would then try to capture my footage and it would give me the same error you received.

After poking around for and hour or so with my camera settings and premiere settings I found out I could change the import format from DV to HDV but only AFTER I created the project.

So here is how it worked.

1. Open Premiere and create your project.

2. I could only select DV here.

3. For the project settings it was HDV 1080i 29 fps.

4. I went to file > capture

5. In the upper right hand corner of the capture window I selected "settings"

6. Under "Capture settings" I clicked edit. and it let me select HDV from there!

Premiere.jpg

It imported just fine after that.

I hope this helps you!

Richard Brahm

• 27. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                              Bradleytubb

I had exactly the same problem and tried everything listed here on the forum with no luck.

After much fiddling, it turned out that the issue was with my camera - Canon XH A1s. An option called 'HD down-conv' had somehow turned on (I don't recall ever doing this so unsure how it happened) and I was able to turn it off by bringing up the menu in the VCR/Play mode. After that, it worked fine!

Hope that helps some of you with the same issue

• 28. Re: Problems Capturing footage into Premiere Pro CS5
                                                                stnicks

I had to turn on HD Down-Conv to get mine to work!  XHA1's were black balled it seems by FCP and Adobe Premier!

My camera is in HDV mode but the capture import in CS5.5 is set on DV...  Go figure!

I also received several unknown recorder errors as well while trying to get this completed. 

Keep unplugging the firewire and making your signal changes and close your capture form as well.

Once you make your changes in your camera, plug in your firewire and press f5 on your keyboard.

Eventually you get the combination!