16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 4:59 AM by Cine Real

Support for Mobile FX 3800M

kmercury Level 1

I purchased the CS5 Master Collection yesterday and I'm looking to purchase a Dell Precision M6500 laptop with the Quadro FX 3800M. I want to know if the Mercury Playback Engine will support the "mobile" version of the Quadro FX 3800. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I doubt it. Even if the theoretical specs are on par, the availability of acceleration would still depend on the driver providing access to features, which may not be the case...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Mercury has nothing to do with After Effects. It's a Premiere Pro feature. I've moved this thread to the Premiere Pro forum from the After Effects forum.

• 3. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Doris Day said it so well: "Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be, the future is not ours to see"

Same applies to your question. Just wait and see.

On another note, your laptop is not suitable for editing, unless you have at least two 7,200 SATA disks on board, so the question about MPE supported cards makes no sense if your basic configuration is not properly configured. The whole editing chain is as weak as its weakest link, and with notebooks that is definitely the disk setup.

• 4. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                kmercury Level 1

The Dell Precision M6500 supports up to three 7200rpm hard drives, with or without RAID. See configuration below:

PROCESSORIntel®  Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core 1.60GHz 6MB
                OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine  Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit, no media
                VIDEO CARD1.0GB  NVIDIA®  Quadro® FX 3800M Graphics
                MEMORY8.0GB,  DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
                LCD17" Wide  Screen WUXGA RGBLED LCD Panel w/ microphone
                RAID CONFIGURATIONAll Hard Drives, Non-RAID, 1 or 2 drive total  configuration
                HARD DRIVE250GB  7200rpm Hard Drive with FFS
                SECOND HARD DRIVE500GB  7200rpm Hard Drive with FFS
                • 5. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It supports it, but do you have it?

• 6. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                    kmercury Level 1

I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase it. If the mobile version of the Quadro FX 3800 doesn't support ME playback then I'll go for a desktop solution. I would just prefer a mobile computer since I travel.

• 7. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

With all notebooks, with the exception of $ 4 K+ notebooks from Sager, you will suffer a severe performance penalty over desktops. and in general desktops offer better performance for about 1/3-rd of the price of a notebook, so consider what you need the notebook for. Just to show off to your fellow air-travelers or any semi-serious work? Serious work needs to be done on a workstation.

• 8. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                        kmercury Level 1

Harm: Obviously you don't know the answer to my question about the FX 3800M. The notebook in question is a mobile workstation with a $5K pricetag. I have been working with computers for over 20 years and thus realize that a desktop solution would be faster and more productive. I am also not looking to "show off" to my fellow travelers. I just wanted a professional answer to my question. I am "only" trying to find out compatibility of the Mercury Playback Engine with the Quadro FX 3800M.

• 9. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

In general, Adobe doesn't pre-announce what features are coming in future versions, so you aren't going to get a definitive answer about this. What I can say is that Adobe has said that it will be adding support for more cards, including Fermi cards, in updates this year.

"Adobe is planning to support additional cards in the future, including  some of the new NVIDIA solutions based on the upcoming Fermi parallel computing architecture."

• 10. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                            kmercury Level 1

Thank you. I'll hold off on the mobile workstation for now instead of wasting money on something that may or may not support my needs.

• 11. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

That is very sensible. The problem is that you are asking about the future and all that may know will not tell (NDA) and those that tell don't know. Hence my remark about Doris Day.

• 12. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                                Bagram Bill Level 1

kmercury,

I can tell you that on my new Sager with the softmod the 3800M works with MPE..... I had to update the driver and I then followed the instructions for the softmod. Only strange thing was that I could not save the modified "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file. I had to delete the original file and create a new one, not sure why. After that, all I did was start "Pr" and activate MPE with hardware in the "Project Settings"...

Bill Skinner

210 867-6982

• 13. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                                  kmercury Level 1

Thanks for your feedback Bill.

• 14. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                                    Cine Real Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

In general, Adobe doesn't pre-announce what features are coming in future versions, so you aren't going to get a definitive answer about this. What I can say is that Adobe has said that it will be adding support for more cards, including Fermi cards, in updates this year.

"Adobe is planning to support additional cards in the future, including  some of the new NVIDIA solutions based on the upcoming Fermi parallel computing architecture."

Hello Todd

It is now October 11th, 2010. Will we have to wait much longer for this list?

• 15. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> It is now October 11th, 2010. Will we have to wait much longer for this list?

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update came out a month and a half ago. It added support for more cards for CUDA acceleration, listed here:

"Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update: bug fixes and CUDA support"

• 16. Re: Support for Mobile FX 3800M
                                        Cine Real Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> It is now October 11th, 2010. Will we have to wait much longer for this list?

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update came out a month and a half ago. It added support for more cards for CUDA acceleration, listed here:

"Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update: bug fixes and CUDA support"

I have read the update and found nothing supporting any laptop setups. So basically, the response to the original question, according to the Adobe update, is that a Dell Precision M6500 laptop with the Quadro FX 3800M is not supported by the Mercury Playback Engine.

This is frustrating because both Nvidia and Dell sales people are promoting the Quadro FX 3800M as being compatible. The problem seems to be that Adobe will NOT qualify any Laptop configuration. The stripped down Mobile 'M' versions all seem to be losers.

Adobe, please. There are actually editors out there who use Laptops for editing. Especially those who travel. Are you ignoring us or are all these LAPTOPS simply incapable of doing the job and we are the losers.