17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 8:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Trimming clips in Preview Window

Klangster1971

Hi all,

Have just got a new laptop and decided to upgrade to Premiere Elements 8. First impressions have been dented by the fact that when I try to set a trim point in the preview pane, the video playback stops.

This is rather frustrating and never used to happen with PE7 - is there a setting that I've missed that allows the video to keep playing when I click 'Set In' or 'Set Out'?

film a lot of interview type segments and sometimes the subject might make a few false starts to their answers. It's nice to watch the interview in preview, click 'Set in' at the beginning of an answer and continue to watch the clip. A number of times you'll find that the subject messes up their answer and starts again, then you can simply click 'Set In' again to reset the in-point, all whilst watching the clip.

Having the clip stop each time you press the 'set-in' button (or drag it) just breaks the flow.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Sean

• 1. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
          alanst2 Level 1

Yes, PrE8 does what you say. Just hit the Space Bar and playback will continue. Space toggles Play/Stop.

Hope this helps.

Alan S.

• 2. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
            alanst2 Level 1

Sorry, I should have added that I/O keys set IN and OUT. Because I have a problem with my right arm, I use the keyboard whenever possible. To me it's quicker than using the mouse.

Alan S

• 3. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sean,

If you Dbl-click on the Asset in the Project Panel, it will open in the Source Monitor, which is the ideal place to set the Clip's In & Out Points.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                Klangster1971 Level 1

Hi - thanks for your answer, Alan... but the clip still stops when I either click 'Set In' or press I/O. Are you saying that this is the default behaviour in Pre8? If so, I fear I shall have to return to Pre7.

Many thanks,

Sean

• 5. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                  Klangster1971 Level 1

Hunt - many thanks for your reply. I believe that I am trying to perform the trimming in the Source Monitor Window. I am dbl-clicking the clip under the 'Organize' tab, then clicking the ''Porject' icon and choosing the asset from the list of items there. Is there another way I could try to trim the asset?

Many thanks,

Sean

• 6. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                    alanst2 Level 1

Sorry Sean, but I believe it is the default to stop when entering 'in' and 'out' points. I've had a look for an option with no success. Unless someone else knows better.

Alan S.

• 7. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                      alanst2 Level 1

Sorry, Sean, I should have collected my thoughts before posting! Another idea that might be helpful....

If you are happy to use your keyboard, you could go through the sequence putting in 'markers' by pressing * on your numeric keypad. Then you can cycle between the markers using Shift/Ctrl/(left or right arrow). Pressing * doesn't stop the replay.

If you are unhappy using the keyboard then I can't, at the moment, think of an alternative.

Alan S.

• 8. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                        Klangster1971 Level 1

Hi all,

Unfortunately, it looks like this is a new 'feature' of Pre8. I've spoken to Adobe Support and this appears to be the outcome. I have processed a refund - and shall be reverting to Pre7.

Many thanks for all your help,

Sean
                        • 9. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I say in my books, double-click on the video on either the timeline or in the Project media panel and you'll open the Clip Monitor, where you can pre-trim your clips.

• 10. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                            alanst2 Level 1

Hi Steve. As I understand it, Sean is doing that. I know what he means as I had the same reaction when I migrated to PrE8 from 6.5.

Sean's interview is ingested as one long 'take'. He then wants to enter 'in' points "on the fly", either by pressing 'I' or clicking 'in' in the Preview monitor. In PrE7 (and 6.5) the Preview continued playing, after selection,  but in PrE8 it Stops. I don''t find this a problem but Sean does. He was looking to find an option to allow Play to continue after setting his 'In' point.

Sorry if I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs but I recognised the 'annoyance'.

ATB

Alan S.

• 11. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window

A lot of people double-click on the clips listed in the Media panel (a common mistake) -- which opens up a preview screen. But this preview screen does not allow you to set in and out points.

You need to double-click on the clips in the Project panel in order to be able to pre-trim your clips.

• 12. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                                Klangster1971 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Alan's correct - sorry I may have been using the incorrect term, but I was certainly trying to perform my 'pre-trimming' from the project panel. I could happily add and remove 'In' and 'Out' points - it was just the fact that it stopped the video playback whenever I did so.

As I said before, I've spoken to Adobe and they've confirmed that that is 'exected behaviour', so I've gone back to Pre7! :-)

Many thanks for all your replies - this is a great forum!!

Sean

• 13. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                                  alanst2 Level 1

Yes, I understand that. But if you do just what you say and then hit 'play' in the preview monitor - you then hit 'I' to enter an IN point 'on the fly' - playback stops and you have to select 'play' or hit 'space' to resume playback.

In 6.5 (and Sean reports in PrE7) playback continued.

I've just tried it in PrE8, to make sure I'm not talking rubbish!

ATB

Alan S

• 14. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are in the Source Monitor, just play the Clip, until you get to where you wish to set the In Point, hit the Spacebar to stop and hit the I (eye key) to set. Same for the Out Point - just hit the Spacebar, and then the O (Oh key). When done, just click-drag from the Source Monitor to the Timeline, to place an Instance of that Clip onto the Timeline. Note: you can repeat this process, setting new In and Out Points, and can have many Instances of that Clip on the Timeline.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                                      alanst2 Level 1

Hi Bill.

What Sean wanted to do was hit I and O on the fly, with the replay still running. In PrE8 that doesn't happen. As soon as you hit I or O, replay stops. This didn''t happen in 6.5 or PrE7. Users would argue whether this is helpful but Sean didn't find it so.

ATB

Alan S

• 16. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window

Sadly, version 8 did have a number of features that were left unfinished. This must have been another of them.

• 17. Re: Trimming clips in Preview Window
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, the stopping of playback in the Source Monitor is the way that PrPro (and AVID Liquid, and most NLE's) has always worked, and with a reason. Because the Frames are going by at ~ 25 - 30 FPS, this gives the user the opportunity to fine-tune the In & Out Points, as is required. Did not know that earlier versions of PrE kept on playing, as then one would need to go back and refine their In & Out Point selected, in many cases.

As mentioned above, the normal workflow is to set the In & Out Points, and then drag THAT Instance of the Clip on the Timeline. Personally, I cannot see the need for play to continue, but you are both correct, in PrE 4, it does. My guess is that PrE 8 went with the industry standard of behavior.

Sorry that I missed exactly what the OP wanted, but you have cleared that up for me.

Thanks,

Hunt