10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 3:04 AM by MissMoppett

"Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8

-Subbi Adobe Employee

Hi,
      I was involved in a Premiere Elements 8 (unable to launch) discussion in another thread. This issue was resolved by turning OFF the "Real Time Anti Virus scanning" from the affected system. Just thought of posting this as a seperate thread for others to notice and comment

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2880286#2880286

Issue : Application crashes on launching or goes in a Hung state after the launch

EM

• 1. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

FWIW, there are a number of alternatives to McAfee that are a lot less intrusive -- and several of them are free.

For Windows XP, Avast is a great, free anti-virus program.

And for XP, Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft's Security Essentials is an excellent anti-virus, anti-malware program that is also free and has virtually no conflicts with any other software. It is also absolutely free! You can get it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

• 2. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
            -Subbi Adobe Employee

Steve,

Thanks for the info, but have you seen many people facing this 'conflict' issue earlier, or is this a new development?  I have never heard of an editing application not launching because of an antivirus blocking it.

EM

• 3. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The realtime scanning aspect is probably the main cause. When files are held up for "scanning," every time they are accessed, the performance will definitely be slowed, and in this case, apparently to a halt. The same can happen with Windows Indexing, which locks any changed file, while it tries to index it.

There is no reason to have AV programs running, while editing. If one suspects any issues with an Asset, say an SFX file downloaded from the Internet, then run a full AV scan, before starting an editing session. If one has to surf the Internet, or open e-mails, then just exit from the NLE program, turn those protection programs ON, and surf, or read.

There are many similar programs, and many are covered in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

It will be interesting to see the responses related to the use of the the antivirus program Microsoft Security Essentials in the presence of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1.

I have tried to use Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus program on several different occasions for my computer system, and each time I have to revert to my Symantec program because I cannot get Premiere Elements to open in its presence. My computer is Windows XP Professional 32 bit.

Have you ever or are you now using Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus program on the computer that has installed your Premiere Elements program?

ATR

• 5. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8

I love Security Essentials, Tony. I'm using it on my XP machine, a Windows 7 machine and my daughter's Vista laptop. It works flawlessly, in my experience -- and you can't beat the price!

Sorry to hear it's giving you trouble.

• 6. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

But on all those operating systems is Premiere Elements 8.0.1 installed along with Premiere Elements 8.0.1?

I would agree that Microsoft Security Essentials is a great program when you do not want to use Premiere Elements and the price is right. But, for some reason, I cannot get Premiere Elements 8.0.1 to open when the two are on the same computer.

Maybe in a few weeks I will give it the third and fourth looks.

But if your information is that Microsoft Security Essentials and Premiere Elements 8.0.1 co-existed in Windows XP, Vista, and 7, then that will propel me on to find the cause of my issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8

I have version 8.01 installed on both the XP and Windows 7 machine, Tony, and have had no conflicts with Security Essentials on either.

Though, as we always say, your mileage may vary!

• 8. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
                        KurtWM Level 1

I just wanted to chime in here. I just purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 9, and have installed it on a Windows 7 machine with an AMD Athlon64 Processor 3200+, running Microsoft Security Essentials. It was giving me fits, because it would start to launch and would ask me if I wanted to start a new project or open an existing project. When I selected to start a new project, the Premiere Elements window would just be a light gray window with a menubar and the program interface would never appear.

It turns out that the program will not fully launch unless Real-time Protection in MSE is turned off. I don't know what the issue is, but it is a real pain.

• 9. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What happens with many real-time anti-virus, pop-up blockers and spy-sweeping software, is that they hold up accessing many necessary files, until they have done their "thing" with those files. This can cause the program to time out, as it thinks that there is an issue with accessing those files, and it's not programed to just sit and wait, until some other program finishes.

I have been a big proponent of turning OFF all unnecessary programs and processes, when doing Video editing. Obviously, this means that if one then starts opening a bunch of e-mail attachments, or visiting less-than-savory Web sites, they are exposed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: "Real Time Anti Virus Scanning" conflicts with PRE8
                            MissMoppett Level 1

Stay (well) away from Norton and McAfee. They may be "industry leaders" but whenever I am called in to help newbies with PC problems it has invariably been caused by either of these programmes butting in. Plus AOL for sending files. (My I feel better that's off my chest).