10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 7:19 PM by duotone12

Rendering time takes for ever!

duotone12 Level 1

First, please forgive my noob-ness and I'm sure the answer is as plain as the nose on my face.

Second, please help me.

New-pre i7 macbookpro

8 gig ram

3.06 GHZ

CS5

7D (camera)

4 seconds of footage takes 15 minutes to render, same with premiere.

What am I doing wrong?

Tony

• 1. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
          yenaphe Level 4

What effect are you appling on your footage, and to what codec are you exporting ?

Reading HD h264 and exporting HD h264 can be really demanding and put down your MBP to it's knees, hence the long time rendering. But 15 minutes for 4 seconds is anormaly long.

• 2. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            What am I doing wrong?

You are working on a Mac! *lol* Can we assume that you are referring to the trial versions of the programs? If so, handling the footage would be done via the respective Quicktime components, which, as I understand it, is slow as hog. So for the time being, you can probably not do anything about it. If it's the full versions, it should be handled via MediaCore in a more speedy fashion. If it isn't, you may need to adjust your media cache settings to speed up things. Also turn off XMP. This has been known to cause troubles with some media formats ever since CS4. Short of that I'm not aware of specific bugs with this, but maybe one of the more wealthy peoiple who can afford these pricey gadgets and have experience with them can chime in with their experiences...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
              duotone12 Level 1

Thanks for your question, I'll re-create and post comments.

Mylenium - Yes, a mac and No, not a trial version.

• 4. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are a bunch of performance improvement tips here: "Improve performance"

Without knowing more about what your current settings are, it's hard to make specific recommendations.

• 5. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                  duotone12 Level 1

Yes, thanks....

I will replicate my situation and post screen shots.

I did find one thing that I think is "part" of the issue.

I'm shooting a stereoscopic video for a client (pair of 7D's) and using Tim Dashwood's plugin for rendering 3D video. I had 4 seconds of video and it took 15 minutes to render out.

I just put in a single bit with no plug in and it rendered out fast....

Stay tuned.

Tony

• 6. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Ah. You hadn't mentioned any effects.

There are some compositions with visual effects and heavy compositing that take many minutes to render a single frame, even on a very powerful computer. Sometimes, things take a long time to render.

The page that I linked to gives a lot of tips about how to work with such processor-intensive effects, too.

• 7. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                      duotone12 Level 1

Well, I didn't mention it before mainly because my friend with a Windows (64 bit) can render the same thing faster. Now don't start with the windows vs mac thing.....

• 8. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                        duotone12 Level 1

I also failed to mention that FinalCut renders the same thing very fast.

I just tried using Perspective > 3D glasses and I get the same render time (long).

Stay tuned.

• 9. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                          yenaphe Level 4

Well it's not Windows vs Mac, it's more of a hardware question. I've got last year MBP and a 2 year old Custom made PC. But my custom made PC is around 5 to 10x faster than my MBP because it has more ram, faster proc, more cores, raid disks, huge gfx card, etc etc etc.

Laptops are not aimed at heavy post prod stuff, and stereoscopy can really be heavy. Also AE is not an NLE like Ppro or Final Cut. It's rendering engine, and it's way to handle internally footage is not aimed at real time or fastness (unlike FCP or PPro, because it's needed for efficient editing) so it's no surprise that AE is slower to render.

• 10. Re: Rendering time takes for ever!
                            duotone12 Level 1

Sébastien

Thanks a ton, I think my question then is "What is the proper workflow"?

Seems I'll be using FC to render out the video, plug it in AE, apply effects and such, remove the placed video, export AE effects and bring it into Premiere for final render / export. Ugh.

I think I need a book to read.

ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tony