2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 3:46 PM by Jesseham

Pattern Fill odd alignment/tiling problem

Justman 116

Hello,

I am having a strange problem with filling an object with a pattern, and after a day of Google searching and searching this forum I still can't find a solution or anyone else with the same problem.

I have a pattern that I sized to about 375px by 375px.  I then create an object - say 150px by 150px and fill it with that pattern.  Instead of the pattern filling the entire 150x150 (as I would think a 375x375 pattern would do without problem), it fills the 150x150 object about 1/5 of the way in to the left, and then starts again to the left of that, so it looks like it tiles.  The pattern is not a seamless tiling pattern, as it doesn't need to be for the space I want it to fill.

It just seems like filling an object with a pattern that is larger than the object itself causes it to randomly and oddly align or tile itself.  It doesn't start at a top left corner or anything consistent - it appears like it's random.

Here's a link that you can see what I'm talking about:

http://webprodesigninc.com/aiproblem.php

I really appreciate any help anyone can give.  Thanks so much!

Justin

• 1. Re: Pattern Fill odd alignment/tiling problem
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will have to pay more attention to how the pattern is created. You want any part of the pattern that repeates to be on both sides of the bounding box.

Picture 3.png

On your pattern some of the parts of the flowers do not repeat from the left edge to the right. You can also look a getting a plugin from rj-graffix to move patterns.

http://rj-graffix.com/software/plugins.html#nudge

• 2. Re: Pattern Fill odd alignment/tiling problem
            Jesseham Level 4

Your pattern will start drawing at 0,0 (or I assume the top left in CS5)  If your pattern happens to fall on a seam where you want it, you can shift it around a couple of ways

1. the ~ key. (up there under esc.)  With either selection tool active, holding the ~ key will move the pattern fill rather than the object itself.  Hold ~, click and drag your pattern around.  (you might have to have your object selected first, I forget.)

2. the move command - with your object selected, and the selection tool (the black arrow) active, hit enter.  It'll bring up the move dialog.  Uncheck "objects" and leave "patterns" checked.  Check preview and adjust the settings to your liking.

Re: number 2 - that "object" and "pattern" checkbox is present in the rotate tool, the scale tool and the move tool, in case you wanted to scale and rotate as well.