5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2010 10:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Pan in slowly on still picture

woodsyl

Does anyone know how to pan in on still pictures?  I have some video footage, and a couple of still pictures, but I want the effect that slowly zooms in on the still picture, to keep the flow of movement between the videos & still pics.  I can't seem to find it under "Effects".

Thanks very much for any help!

• 1. Re: Pan in slowly on still picture
          woodsyl Level 1

I forgot to mention the I have APE ver 7. 8o)

• 2. Re: Pan in slowly on still picture
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Check out my free article on Basic Keyframing at Muvipix.com. It's a bit dated, but it shows you the basics.

My latest book not only includes step-by-step instructions for doing this, but also includes instructions for creating a 3D zoom look as well as nearly 50 other special effects.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks.php

• 3. Re: Pan in slowly on still picture
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As Steve states, this is done via Keyframing the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, and for a Zoom, Effect>Motion>Scale. You can alter the speed of the Zoom, or Pan, and can even alter the Velocity (how quickly it starts/stops) with Bezier Curves on those Keyframes.

Steve covers Basic Keyframing well, and I highly recommend his instruction series.

Here is another TUTORIAL, but it is for an earlier version of Premiere, and not PrElements.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Keyframing is a bit abstract at first, but once one gets the hang of it, they'll find it so very useful for animation needs.

• 4. Re: Pan in slowly on still picture
                vaeditor

Woodsyl, when you say "pan in on still pictures"  I take it you mean zoom in.  pan refers a side to side action,  This is done in the motion effect that is on each clip by default, you don't have to add it.  Select clip, go to effects, open motion (turn triangle down) then you can select scale and or position.  To animate position CTI (red line) at start point then click stop watch.  Move CTI to new position and make changes to scale and position.  Hope this is some help.

Dennis

P.S oops, just remembered you have PE7, I started in CS3 so this may not be correct for you.  Not my first mistake today.

• 5. Re: Pan in slowly on still picture
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The Effect>Motion>Scale (Zoom) and Motion>Position (Pan) are very similar in PrE. As of PrE 7, Adobe has enhanced the Effects Control (Edit Effect in PrE), so that it is closer to what PrPro offers. You are very close.

Thanks for clarifying the differences between Pan & Zoom, as I had missed the OP's wording. I think that you are correct in interpreting what is actually needed. Animation of either is virtually the same, just Scale vs Position.

Hunt