5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2010 7:43 PM by HalvaJoy RSS

Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!

bearcatnat Community Member

I'm using Dreamweaver CS4. After using the link checker to check links sitewide, when I double-click on the file name in the link checker window, it opens the page, but does not highlight the link. Also, if I click the folder next to the broken link and select the correct file to link to, it doesn't seem to accept the change. The broken link reverts back to the path that it was originally, not the new one I defined to fix it! Please help!

• 1. Re: Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!
          bearcatnat Community Member

I figured out part of the problem is that some of the links were in library items. Since those are locked for editing within the HTML, the link checker must not be able to highlight the text within the code. (Or else it IS highlighted, but since the text is already highlighted in yellow, the highlight is "invisible".)

Nonetheless, I'm still having lots of links that won't highlight. My workaround is to double-click the file with the broken link to open it, then use the Find box with "source code" selected to find the offending link. It should be easier than this, but at least I found a way to fix my links!

• 2. Re: Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!
            HalvaJoy Community Member

I am having the exact same problem. I also am using the find and replace process as a work around.

There must be some preference setting that is causing the problem.

Can someone at Adobe offer a line of investigation?

• 3. Re: Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!

Thinking that the problem might lie in the realm of access permissions, I tried to fix the same broken links when logged-in as administrator. No difference. The "link fixer" still does not work.

I also tried to use the "link fixer" with the cache NOT enabled. Continued failure.

I re-instated "enable cache", forced a re-cache. Continued failure.

• 4. Re: Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!

This same problem was reported in a discussion called "What is a broken link for Dreamweaver link

checker" started in 11 jun 2008.

No one ever suggested a cause or fix.

• 5. Re: Fixing Broken Links Not Working!!

It works to replace erroneous GIF files with other GIF files. I am not sure if the new files were in the same directory as the source file (the file containing the erroneous link). It always fails with JPG files (erroneous links to JPG and JPG as the replacement).