2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 5:29 PM by Aaron Hildebrandt

CS5 rendering wrong frame count?

Aaron Hildebrandt Level 1

Normally I'd assume that this is user error, but we're seeing this problem on multiple computers from multiple animators running multiple versions of OSX. When we render out a project at full-res, 16-bit Avid1:1x, the file that's produced is randomly the wrong amount of frames -- for example, a 170 frame project resulted in a render that was 212 frames. We've double-checked everything, and the render settings are all correct. What's really weird is that if we render the exact same project at half-res, the frame count of the rendered file is correct.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen? It's only happened in CS5, and we're witnessing it happen almost every day. I'd guess that there's something weird going on with the Avid1:1x codec, but we use the exact same codec in CS4 without issue.

• 1. Re: CS5 rendering wrong frame count?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Has anyone else ever seen this happen? It's only happened in CS5, and we're witnessing it happen almost every day. I'd guess that there's something weird going on with the Avid1:1x codec, but we use the exact same codec in CS4 without issue.

This may relate to the inability to access the CoDec specific settings panels for Avid CoDecs and specifics. I would dare a bet and say that the CoDec is locked into a specific framerate that isn't compliant with your comp settings. here's the deal: Since Avid CoDecs have dedicated settings for fields, it seems to me that when rendering at half res it is interpretting AE's reduced res as fields, which it thne simply duplicates or as correct full frames. At full res, it interprets the data wrongly and thus you end up with incorrect frame counts. So, to cut a long story short, unless you get access to the CoDec options from wuithin AE, which because of the mentioned bug may not be possible, I see no way to get it working correctly. Thus, for the time being, you will have to use otehr CoDecs or image sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS5 rendering wrong frame count?
            Aaron Hildebrandt Level 1

I did a bunch of troubleshooting with Paul Uusitalo at Adobe, and it looks like the bug is actually in QuickTime Player -- it reports the wrong frame count. No idea why, since everything checks out (QT reports the right frame rate, so that's not the issue), but every other program we tested the clips in reported the correct frame rate.