12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 3:14 PM by kalibahlu

Text as graphic symbol problem

trenebean1234

Hello,

I have created some graphic symbols from text (convert to symbol>>graphic), and when I double click them (in the editor), they remain text. Others from several month ago seem to remain symbols when double-clicked.

The other thing I have noticed is some of my buttons have bulls-eye type circles on top of them, while new ones I create have an empty black circle. All the new ones I created do not seem to work properly, and I am wondering why this is by working backwards.

Thanks,
      Trena

• 1. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
          kalibahlu Level 1

When you double click your symbol, it takes you into Edit mode, in other words, it takes you inside your symbol, where you can edit your text.

The bulls eyes are in the center because that's your anchor point. The ones that have an empty circle, I think you will find, will have the bulls eye in the upper left corner. you can move the anchor point around while in Free Transform mode.

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
            trenebean1234 Level 1

Thanks for your help, kalibahlu, but unfortunately, this does not work. I don't want it to show text at all when I double-click it (the graphic symbols that work don't show the text at all when I double-click them); neither does moving the mouse pointer change it from an open-circle to a bulls-eye.

Context: I have buttons that have movie clips in them (essentially like rollover buttons) that make the buttons alpha fade in and out when in the "over" position (when hovering over them). When someone clicks on a link, that link should turn a purple but STILL do the fade-in/fade-out. The way I remember doing this previously was to create colored text and make it a "graphic symbol", and then "swap" the black button for the purple graphic in the Properties panel of the original button. You can see it working here: www.trenalarson.com.

The only noticeable differences between the old fade-in/out and the new buttons I created is this bulls-eye thing and the fact that the text as a graphic symbol seems to be text when double-clicked and not a symbol. I am trying to find the solution to the fact that the purple text/symbol no longer operates as a button with that fade-in/out movie clip. It doesn't seeem to be part of the original button at all, even though all I did was "swap" it in the Properties panel.

I hope that makes sense!
            T

• 3. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
              kalibahlu Level 1

Oh, I see now. Well, you are definitely on the right track, but it sounds like somehow instead of the symbol, you have the text there. The best thing to do is basically to go back to square one, back to the original buttons in your original file, when they worked as you wanted them too. right click on a button and select "Duplicate symbol", double click on it to go into edit mode, and again right click on the element at that level and duplicate it, as well, then edit from there. This way, your new buttons will have the same exact structure as your old buttons. All you have to do is edit the text in the text graphic symbols. Does that make sense?

• 4. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                trenebean1234 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Well, this worked (duplicating everything and then changing the text), although I am still curious why I could never "make it from scratch" so-to-speak. It now has the bulls-eye look to it. I think there was something weird in the button.

• 5. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                  kalibahlu Level 1

Weird things do happen sometimes in Flash, little buggy things. Like yesterday, I had a text graphic object that was showing a glow effect when no glow effect was applied. I spent time trying to find out why, thinking there must be a logical answer, but there was none! I finally had to conclude it was a corrupted element, and make a new symbol! This, too, was an old website that had been through many interations, and sometimes an element will get corrupted. That sounds like what happened to you, as well. As long as it's OK now, that's all that matters, right?

BTW, your work is beautiful! I particularly like the Wedding Shoe mixed media piece!

• 6. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                    trenebean1234 Level 1

Better to just move on than to try to figure out "why" sometimes! I think I may redo my site in Dreamweaver, anyway. There aren't really enough animations to make it worth my while in Flash – just some rollover effects, which can be done in html. It was good practice to use Flash, but it really is quite buggy! Irritating!

Thanks for looking at my site... always nice to get feedback.

• 7. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                      trenebean1234 Level 1

Actually, I think the bullseye or lack thereof is indicative of whether or not a symbol has script associated with it.

• 8. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                        kalibahlu Level 1

Oh OK. I was actually thinking of the anchor point in after effects, that has a little cross hair in it. The one in Flash is an empty circle. I use both programs often and thought of the wrong one. Oh well, we came around to the answer anyway, right?   I'm not sure what bullsys you see... it's on a graphic symbol?

• 9. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                          trenebean1234 Level 1

The bullseye/crosshairs are on buttons, actually.

• 10. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                            kalibahlu Level 1

hmm, I'm not seeing them... I'm in CS4. What version are you looking at?

• 12. Re: Text as graphic symbol problem
                              kalibahlu Level 1

ah, that explains it