7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 2:45 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High

ramblin reck

I imported  a slide show from Photoshop Elements  5.  I made minor adjustments and added music.  Now I am trying to burn to a DVD.  PE 3  goes thru the encryption step and when it gets to the burn step I get the following error message:

"The data rate of this file is too high for DVD.  Youy must replace the file with one of a lower data rate."

I get this message when I try to burn to a DVD or to a floder.

Any suggestion greatly apprciated.  Trying to burn a DVD for this weekend.

Dave

• 1. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What speed are the discs you're trying to burn to rated? It could be that your DVD burner is trying to burn them too fast.

As I say in my books, the quality of your DVD discs can play a bigger role in the success of your project than most people assume.

Stay away from cheap, store brand and Memorex discs.

Good, quality discs, like Verbatim brand, will rarely give you these kinds of problems -- and at very little increased cost.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
            ramblin reck Level 1

I am using Fuji Film  DVD-R 4.7 GB  "up to 8X discs".

I get the same error when I try to write to a folder in PE 3.

I am using a Sony DVD recorder  DRU-800A.

I have burnt discs from PE 3 before with no problems.  This is the first time I am trying to burn a slide show./  Also I have not done this in over a year so I am a little rusty.  Thought maybe there was a configuration setting I was missing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

• 3. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
              ramblin reck Level 1

Here is an answer to someone with the same probelm as me ojnly on PE 2.

Some place, you have set the Data-rate above the DVD-spec. of 10 MB/s  for ALL Assets, or have spikes above that. Now, since this is for all  streams, Audio + Video, something below 8 works best. Then, if there is a  momentary spike, it falls below the threshold of 10. In your Export  settings, this has been set to high, either by you, or the program. PE  is pretty smart about spikes, but can get fooled by the Assets,  sometimes.

Check your output settings. I find that a setting of ~7 max. is  better for player compatibility, though PE does allow one to go to 8  max.

Any suggestion on where to find this setting on PE 3?

Dave

• 4. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

That quoted section is correct. The allowed Max bit-rate is set too high for the DVD-specs. The max is ~9.8 MB/s, for ALL Assets, and if it goes over, anywhere, the program will yield that error, as it is above the allowed spec. For the Video Assets, this falls to around 8 MB/s bit-rate, but slightly lower gives better playability for many users. In my authoring program, I normally set to ~ 7.5 MB/s maximum, and have never had an issue.

Do not know PrE 3, but in the DVD authoring dialog, there should be something like a Quality Slider. I would drop this down. Something in the 7 range should do it. There might be an automatic setting, enabled by something like a checkbox, with Maximum Quality per Disc Size, or similar syntax. Maybe Steve, or another user can direct you to exactly where you would find that/those setting(s).

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
                  ramblin reck Level 1

yes there is a quality slider and I have it set to where PE 3 chooses the best rate.   I will push it down to the lowest setting and try.

Stay tuned ...

• 6. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
                    ramblin reck Level 1

Hurray !!!

Made it thru at the lowest setting.  I had the "Fit Contents to available space"  box checked which disabled the quality slider.   I would expect that PE 3 would be smart enough to throttle back if it was pushing the data too the disak too fast.  Oh well.

Next:   do I try again at half way to see if it makes it thru or just leave it as is.  Would like to get the max quality but do not want to burn thru disks to find the sewwt spot.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• 7. Re: PE 3 - error burning DVD - Data Rate Too High
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

As a little "trick," pick up a few DVD RW discs for testing - no more "coasters." Do NOT use these as delivery discs, but only to use/reuse as tests.

I use PrE's big-brother, PrPro, and Encore (for authoring), and Encore has always done a great job on Automatic, but some footage might well give PrE trouble in that respect.

Please report your success.

Good luck,

Hunt