18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 11:34 AM by John T Smith

Return policy

mundenbar

I stronly considering giving CS5 a whirl and buying it but

I am concerned that for whatever reason it will not work on my computer.

My computer is a Studio XPS 900 with an Intel Core i7-920 processor so I am

assuming it should be fine.

I checked out the policy and it is pretty straight forward with returns.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/153/tn_15327.html#Return%20details

I am wondering how has everyone's experience with returns?

• 1. Re: Return policy
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I am wondering how has everyone's experience with returns?

Sorry... I guess I'd just think that it's safe to assume that, if anyone is actually here to talk about the software, they're actually using it, and haven't returned it. Anyone's opinion you get here on that particular subject is not likely to be valid. If someone has actually returned the software, they're probably not hanging around here, and if they are, they'd likely have a pretty poor opinion of the whole ordeal.

This is probably a case where you'll just have to take the manufacturer at their word when it comes to their return policy.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Return policy
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>computer is a Studio XPS 900 with an Intel Core i7-920 processor so I am assuming it should be fine

Do you also have a 64bit Windows?  Win7 64bit Pro is MY choice

Do you have AT LEAST TWO 7200Rpm hard drives?  I have THREE hard drives

Read my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

• 3. Re: Return policy
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never availed myself of the Return policy, and have never even used an Adobe trial, so with that said, I have never heard of any issue with the Return, and would assume that we would have gotten such posts here, if there were problems. Just make sure that you have all documentation, all media, books, boxes, whatever, and your receipt. Obviously, you will have to Activate your program, but do NOT forget to also register it with Adobe. Count your days carefully, as the Return is within 30 days - do not let that pass by.

Good luck, and if you DO encounter any push-back from Adobe, please update this thread, to help others, and to help us understand what issues could arise to apprise others in the future.

As Colin points out, we're but users, and probably the majority are like me - never needed to do a Return, so we only have posts from others to go on.

Good luck, and hope that the Return policy is moot - and you'll love the program.

Hunt

PS - as an aside, I would also recommend Adobe Classroom in a Book Premiere CS5, which should be shipping about now. It covers so much and introduces the user to CS5. Do not think that Curt Wrigley offers a "return," on the book, but it's worth its weight in gold, even with gold prices on the climb!

• 4. Re: Return policy

I pre-ordered CIB CS5 for both Dreamweaver and PPro... My Dreamweaver book shipped this past Tuesday

I received this from Amazon about a week ago about a publishing change for CIB PPro

Adobe Creative Team "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book"

Estimated arrival date: August 18 2010 - August 24 2010

• 5. Re: Return policy
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, August! There had been reports that it was going to be available in the UK in early June. Guess those were overly optimistic, at best.

Thanks for that update. I will refrain from the recs., until I get word that it's shipping in the US, and other markets.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Return policy
                    shooternz Level 6

Why would you not trial your system with the Trial version of CS5

( Do read the 'Trial Limitations' first)

Use Some footage to test your system  that are not within the trial limitations.

• 7. Re: Return policy
                      mundenbar Level 1

These are my specs.

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

Studio XPS 9000,  Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)

ATI Radeon HD  4350 512MB

Serial ATA II RAID 0 With Dual500GB Hard Drives

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

I think it should be compatible with CS5

• 8. Re: Return policy

Having Windows and software on the same drive as data... even raid... is going to cause problems

Go over to the hardware sub-forum and do some reading... and, as I said, I have 3 hard drives

• 9. Re: Return policy
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It is not compatible because while you have two drives in RAID 0 the Adobe minimum is for a dedicated 7200 rpm drive for your project files.  Add a least one more true 7200 rpm drive.

• 10. Re: Return policy
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

As others have pointed out, the RAID would be much better as a media-only drive. A separate, physical HDD (can be smaller but really fast is good) for OS and programs, and then another physical HDD (should be large but 7200 RPM will be adequate) for the Projects and Scratch Disks, will be much better.

BTW - John T. meant "having the OS and media/Projects on the same HDD," is not a good idea. I knew what he meant, but there could be confusion.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for some great tips on the I/O sub-system, Harm Millaard's ARTICLE is the one.

• 11. Re: Return policy

>I knew what he meant

Grin... I'm so tired right now I'm not even sure of my own name... been digging holes to replace a fence section that blew down during the winter

Neighbor (who admitted he's never built a fence before) put up a fence when we bought the propery 4 years ago... and put UN-treated 4x4 posts in the ground w/out concrete... the shaded section where the ground is always damp rotted the posts

I have one more hole to dig and TREATED 4x4 to "place & brace" and then I start with the bags of ready mix

By time Sunday gets here, I'm going to be really, really ready to rest for the day!

• 12. Re: Return policy
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I'm so tired right now I'm not even sure of my own name... been digging holes to replace a fence section that blew down during the winter

Well, you'd better get that fence up, before those upside-down tomatoes are ripe, or the possums will get 'em!

I knew what you meant, and stepped up, though not to put words in your mouth. I just did not want the OP to become confused, when I agreed so strongly with what you intended.

Also, with that new computer, Win7 and CS5, maybe time to tell, "her, who should not be ignored," that you have a lot on your plate, and the entire forum (especially Hunt) is hanging on your every word... or maybe not.

Hunt

PS - if you are not used to a post-hole digger every day, you need to treat yourself to a massage, and tell the wife that I said it was OK.

• 13. Re: Return policy

> treat yourself to a massage

Portland OR right across the river from where I live in Vancouver WA has a lot of, shall we say, less than reputable establishments... but I don't think I will spend any of my hard earned $$ there

• 14. Re: Return policy
                                    rowby Level 1

Make sure your ready mix is CS5 compatible.

• 15. Re: Return policy
                                      mundenbar Level 1

Thanks for everything.

I am a little annoyed at Dell because they told me I would be good to go

with this system and now it turns out I have to do more tweaking.

I have two 500 GB Western Digital hard drives. Can I sue those?

Do I need to buy more hard drives?

• 16. Re: Return policy
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, very few people, and fewer companies really understand what it takes to do video editing. The vast majority just do e-machines, for e-mail, and some Web surfing, with a bit of wordprocessing throw in. I ran into similar in the computer marketplace, when my workstation designer/builder quit the business and move 2K miles away to find a new life. I went through about 12 candidates, and not one had a clue - not one clue. It took my talking to imaging folk at a major research hospital and complaining that not one builder knew what was required. Luckily, my new "guy" builds 3D medical mega-systems for imaging, and has more than a clue. Video is not his specialty, but the 3D imaging helps him fill in the blanks with my input.

Dell is in the business of selling e-machines, or maybe e-machines +, and should not be held responsible, as they just do not sell to the video-editing crowd. That is one reason that I point to Harm Millaard's hardware articles so often - other people have no clue.

Sorry for your troubles,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Return policy
                                          jeremy d. Level 3

I'm assuming a typo....?

Can I sue those?
                                          • 18. Re: Return policy

>I have two 500 GB Western Digital hard drives. Can I sue those?

That depends on the type of video you plan to edit

For SD work you would have Windows and all software on your boot drive, and everything else on your 2nd drive, including media and temp files

For HD work you would still have Windows and all software on your boot drive, and then you need to read in the hardware forum about drives

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0
                                            And even more hardware discussion http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum
                                            Including this post about 3 possible builds http://forums.adobe.com/thread/598040?tstart=0

I edit AVCHD, which works without raid, but for other types of HD material you might need raid for data transfer speed

My notes file http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM