11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2007 6:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Old Problem

dreamweaver_pro Level 1
      Hello,

Please, I need urgent help regarding the Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 program for Mac OS X. It is, unfortunately, driving me crazy, because I have now a problem that is not letting me edit any editable region in the child pages I create and apply the template to that page. I have tried to restart the computer, restart Dreamweaver and even reinstalled Dreamweaver and made my Template from scratch and nothing worked. The problem keeps there and doesn't let me edit any editable region.

Here is what happens: I have created a Editable Region called "Page Content". Also, another 2 editable regions called "Section Navigation" and "Sub Navigation". These editable regions are just there to make my job easier. In the Page Content part, I put the content I want to add to that page, like text and a heading. For the Navigations, I simply change the class of one list item to "current", so that my CSS rule can be applied to that list item and change the font, so that the users can tell in what page they are now, you get it?

So, what happens? Everytime I try to make changes to the editable region Dreamweaver prompts this message:

"You have made changes in the code in a region that is not marked as an Editable Region... You will lose all of your changes in the next update of your template. Do you want to retain all of the changes?"

But IT IS A EDITABLE Region, so that is why I dont get it. And it gets even worse, because after I lose all of my changes and hours of work are wasted.

I hope you guys, experts in Dreamweaver can make my life a lot easier by helping me solve this issue,
      Please help.
      Best regards,

Thank you for reading this and for the help in advance,

GB
        • 1. Re: Old Dreameaver Template Editable Region Problem
          dreamweaver_pro Level 1
          Is anyone having the same "Can't Edit Editable Regions" problem?
          • 2. Re: Old Dreameaver Template Editable Region Problem
            Level 7
            Show us the template, please, and tell us which editable region you cannot
            edit.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
            ==================

"dreamweaver_pro" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f9qd1l$4so$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello,
            >
            > Please, I need urgent help regarding the Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 program for
            > Mac
            > OS X. It is, unfortunately, driving me crazy, because I have now a problem
            > that
            > is not letting me edit any editable region in the child pages I create and
            > apply the template to that page. I have tried to restart the computer,
            > restart
            > Dreamweaver and even reinstalled Dreamweaver and made my Template from
            > scratch
            > and nothing worked. The problem keeps there and doesn't let me edit any
            > editable region.
            >
            > Here is what happens: I have created a Editable Region called "Page
            > Content".
            > Also, another 2 editable regions called "Section Navigation" and "Sub
            > Navigation". These editable regions are just there to make my job easier.
            > In
            > the Page Content part, I put the content I want to add to that page, like
            > text
            > and a heading. For the Navigations, I simply change the class of one list
            > item
            > to "current", so that my CSS rule can be applied to that list item and
            > change
            > the font, so that the users can tell in what page they are now, you get
            > it?
            >
            > So, what happens? Everytime I try to make changes to the editable region
            > Dreamweaver prompts this message:
            >
            > "You have made changes in the code in a region that is not marked as an
            > Editable Region... You will lose all of your changes in the next update of
            > your
            > template. Do you want to retain all of the changes?"
            >
            > But IT IS A EDITABLE Region, so that is why I dont get it. And it gets
            > even
            > worst, because after I lose all of my changes and hours of work are
            > wasted.
            >
            > I hope you guys, experts in Dreamweaver can make my life a lot easier by
            > helping me solve this issue,
            > Please help.
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Thank you for reading this and for the help in advance,
            >
            > GB
            >

• 3. Re: Old Dreameaver Template Editable Region Problem
              Level 7
              And, by the way, such messages are usually triggered by improper code usages
              on the page - that's why we need to see your code.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

"dreamweaver_pro" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f9qd1l$4so$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hello,
              >
              > Please, I need urgent help regarding the Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 program for
              > Mac
              > OS X. It is, unfortunately, driving me crazy, because I have now a problem
              > that
              > is not letting me edit any editable region in the child pages I create and
              > apply the template to that page. I have tried to restart the computer,
              > restart
              > Dreamweaver and even reinstalled Dreamweaver and made my Template from
              > scratch
              > and nothing worked. The problem keeps there and doesn't let me edit any
              > editable region.
              >
              > Here is what happens: I have created a Editable Region called "Page
              > Content".
              > Also, another 2 editable regions called "Section Navigation" and "Sub
              > Navigation". These editable regions are just there to make my job easier.
              > In
              > the Page Content part, I put the content I want to add to that page, like
              > text
              > and a heading. For the Navigations, I simply change the class of one list
              > item
              > to "current", so that my CSS rule can be applied to that list item and
              > change
              > the font, so that the users can tell in what page they are now, you get
              > it?
              >
              > So, what happens? Everytime I try to make changes to the editable region
              > Dreamweaver prompts this message:
              >
              > your
              >
              > But IT IS A EDITABLE Region, so that is why I dont get it. And it gets
              > even
              > worst, because after I lose all of my changes and hours of work are
              > wasted.
              >
              > I hope you guys, experts in Dreamweaver can make my life a lot easier by
              > helping me solve this issue,
              > Please help.
              > Best regards,
              >
              > Thank you for reading this and for the help in advance,
              >
              > GB
              >

• 4. Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Old Problem
                dreamweaver_pro Level 1
                Thanks Murray, here is the Template:

I attached the Code in this message
                • 5. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                  dreamweaver_pro Level 1
                  Basically, I am trying to Edit the Page Content Section, and also the Section Navigation and Section Sub Navigation editable regions...

but when I try to edit it, I always get that message...

Please tell me if possible how can I solve this issue and what I am doing wrong. Thank you.
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Old Problem
                    dreamweaver_pro Level 1
                    Problem has been solved.

I dont know what I did, but I am not having this problem anymore. Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                      Level 7
                      On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:52:07 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                      <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>Does the template page validate?

I've never thought to validate a template file - !!!.

So I tried it and found it could trip some people up.

i.e. following advice here - I set up an editable <body> tag
                      and of course that won't validate - but that code never appears on a
                      normal file:

Line 17, Column 10: character "@" is not allowed in the value of
                      attribute "id".

<body id="@@(_document['page ID'])@@">
                      --

~Malcolm N....
                      ~
                      • 8. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                        Level 7
                        That I can accommodate in the results. It's other errors I am looking for.
                        Validation will find them.

I'm guessing that very few people use these advanced template capabilities,
                        anyhow.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

"Malcolm N_" <malcom@mgnixon.org.uk> wrote in message
                        news:rar2c3p2d5h4u3hfu0gp4jt1g6bri8dnck@4ax.com...
                        > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:52:07 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                        > <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                        >
                        >>Does the template page validate?
                        >
                        > I've never thought to validate a template file - !!!.
                        >
                        >
                        > So I tried it and found it could trip some people up.
                        >
                        > i.e. following advice here - I set up an editable <body> tag
                        > and of course that won't validate - but that code never appears on a
                        > normal file:
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > Line 17, Column 10: character "@" is not allowed in the value of
                        > attribute "id".
                        >
                        > <body id="@@(_document['page ID'])@@">
                        > --
                        >
                        > ~Malcolm N....
                        > ~

• 9. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                          Level 7
                          On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:03:25 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                          <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>That I can accommodate in the results. It's other errors I am looking for.
                          >Validation will find them.
                          >

Indeed

>I'm guessing that very few people use these advanced template capabilities,
                          >anyhow.

Well I didn't find up easily - but now I find being able to give
                          individual or groups of pages an ID - very very useful for targeting
                          css at them. It makes things so much easier.

--

~Malcolm N....
                          ~
                          • 10. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                            Erwyn86 Level 1
                            Hy!
                            I'm having the same problem.
                            I tried to validate my template and there are no errors given.
                            I have index.dwt.php template and i made produse.php child from it.
                            I'm trying to edit the editable region and when i'm trying to save the file it gives me the error:

"You have made changes in the code in a region that is not marked as an Editable Region... You will lose all of your changes in the next update of your template. Do you want to retain all of the changes?"

Then if i'm going to modify the template, the child resets to the last save before error was given.

Please help me. Thanks

Ervin
                            • 11. Re: Old Dreamweaver Template Editable Region Problem
                              Level 7
                              Instead of jumping onto this thread will you please start a new one with
                              your problems fully described and a link to your page so we can see the
                              code?

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"Erwyn86" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:fa3i3q$r7o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Hy!
                              > I'm having the same problem.
                              > I tried to validate my template and there are no errors given.
                              > I have index.dwt.php template and i made produse.php child from it.
                              > I'm trying to edit the editable region and when i'm trying to save the
                              > file it
                              > gives me the error:
                              >
                              > your
                              >
                              > Then if i'm going to modify the template, the child resets to the last
                              > save
                              > before error was given.
                              >
                              > Please help me. Thanks
                              >
                              > Ervin
                              >