4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 11:12 PM by Leckiert

Do you see thumbnails before using Adobe's latest 6.1 DNG converter?

Leckiert

Hi there. I am soon buying a Canon 5D Mark 2 but I know for a fact that as I only have Photoshop CS3 then I will have to use a converter such as Adobe's latest DNG converter version 6.1 (already downloaded) before I can open raw files and edit them in Photoshop CS3 (have already updated to Adobe's Camera Raw 4.6 as well as I know this is the last update for CS3). I currently use the GET PHOTOS function in Bridge as this opens up the Adobe Bridge CS3 Photo Downloader and I am able to view thumbnails of my raw files before downloading as I only have a Nikon D50 which is supported. However, I currently select only the photos I want to and send them to a folder, before returning to the Photo Downloader and selecting the remaining thumbnails, which I send to other folders, and ignoring the rest.

So, with a 5D Mark 2, if I have to use the DNG converter first, will I get thumbnails to view or will all of the photos be converted without viewing, and will they all be sent to the same folder and need re-sorting or deleting in Bridge which is where I hope to send/view them?

Can I still use the GET PHOTOS function at all in Bridge with the 5D Mark 2 using the CS3 Photo Downloader?

Any advice on the order to do things in would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to upgrade to CS4 or CS5 although I know this would make things a bit easier. Thanks Leckiet

• 1. Re: Do you see thumbnails before using Adobe's latest 6.1 DNG converter?
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

You didn't indicate what operating system you are using, so I will answer based on my knowledge of Windows XP.  The DNG converter has no interface for allowing you to see the thumbnails of your images, as you are probably already aware.  And Bridge can only display thumbnails from the cameras that Camera Raw recognizes, or from DNG files.  So what you will probably have to do is download the images to a folder on your hard drive, or look at them on your card using an image viewer that is part of your operating system.  It might be necessary for you to download a codec or something similar to install so that your operating system will be able to display the raw files from your camera.  I don't know anything about Canon.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge will offer some help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Do you see thumbnails before using Adobe's latest 6.1 DNG converter?
            Leckiert Level 1

To JimHess.

Thank you for trying to answer my question. My operating system is Windows XP Media Edition. I think using the Adobe 6.1 DNG converter to send the 5D Mark 2 images to a folder on my desktop might be the solution. I might then be able to use the CS3 Photo Downloader in Bridge to find the desktop folder created to view thumbnails and then import the images in to Bridge itself, from where I should be able to use Camera Raw 4.6 and Photoshop to edit them. So still trying to find out if I can use the GET PHOTOS function in Bridge to import the thumbnails using the CS3 Photo Downloader facility. Cheers

• 3. Re: Do you see thumbnails before using Adobe's latest 6.1 DNG converter?
              JimHess-DIrcbP Level 3

There will never be support for your camera in Photoshop CS3, so you will not be able to see thumbnails of your original raw images in Bridge.  If you convert them to DNG files then Bridge will be able to display those thumbnails.  I think your easiest approach would be to import and convert all of your images to DNG files.  Then open that folder in Bridge and simply go through and delete the ones you don't want.  Bridge will only display thumbnails of raw files from cameras that are supported by Camera Raw, but Bridge will display thumbnails of all DNG files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do you see thumbnails before using Adobe's latest 6.1 DNG converter?
                Leckiert Level 1

Thank you again JimHess for offering very good advice about what DNG and Bridge can and can not do. Hopefully I should be getting my 5D Mark 2 in a few weeks or so and will try out your suggestions. Leckiert.