4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 3:42 AM by Reed Jar

Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel

Reed Jar

Greetings to all,

As a long-time lurker, this place has been invaluably my go-to site for all things hardware related for my 1st Adobe video-editing rig (who would have thought?).  In fact, all the major components of my build were inspired directly from Mr. Millaard's tech notes (and a few others here) and from the benchmark posts.  After nearly three months of painstaking hardware (and budget) deliberation, I have acquired almost every part except the GPU (an eVGA GTX-480 pending from Dell) and the RAM - for which my question concerns.

As the title implies, how much performance difference are there between dual channel over triple?  As far as my research here tells me, the consensus leans toward triple channel (minimum 12gb) with emphasis on low latency and high speed (for overclocking).  Hence, if I were to take the same principles and apply them unto the dual channel route - i.e. 3 pairs of 2x2gb dual sticks with 1600 mhz speed and CAS 7 latency - would this be advisable?

Conversely, I have confirmed that my ASUS P6X58D Premium board supports dual channel which leads me to believe that I could pull off the A1-B1, A2-B2, C1-C2 configuration I am hoping for above.  Is this setup (or any variations) possible or is it just wishful thinking altogether?

Appreciate your input in this matter.

P.S.

While I'm at it, I might as well throw a two-fer and inquire about the Fermi card I mentioned above.  For those that own it, how would you comment on its stock cooling?  Many, it seems, complain about its high energy consumption thereby output, which makes me wonder whether to invest in an aftermarket cooling of some sort.  I currently have the Noctua NH-D14 (w/ stock fans) inside a Storm Sniper Case with various case fans - are these enough?

• 1. Re: Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel
          Powered by Design Level 4

The ASUS P6X58D has:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

Memory
          Number of Memory Slots6×240pin
          Memory StandardDDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066
          Maximum Memory Supported24GB
          Channel SupportedTriple Channel

GLenn

• 2. Re: Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Welcome to the forum, Reed.

X58 mobo's are all triple channel with 6 DIMM slots. That is the major distinction with the P55 boards, that use dual channel memory and have only 4 DIMM slots. There are some more limitations with P55 boards, but since you have already opted for the X58, I'll skip those differences.

Economically, only 12 GB kits are sensible at the current time. 24 GB would be nice, but are a serious burden on your wallet.

You have a very nice CPU cooler, with one drawback. It is huge and that means that a number of memory choices are out, because of the very high cooling fins installed on some memory chips, like the Kingston HyperX and the Corsair Dominator range. There just is not enough physical room between the memory sticks and the Noctua cooler.

My suggestion is to look at regular size sticks, like the OCZ3P1600LV12GS, which is one of the very few 1600 hex-kits with 7-7-7-24 timings and with a decent price. Maybe Geil has similar sets, but the OCZ was the only one I could find here in the Netherlands that met DDR3 1600 with the lowest CAS latency available.

The GTX-480 runs pretty hot and when you want to lower the temperature, you have to increase the fan speed and sometimes it looks / sounds like you live close to a busy airport like O'Hare. With stock cooling I usually have the core temp around 53 degrees C without becoming too noisy. It did require me to mod my case a bit, by installing a large 25 cm side panel fan.

P1000207.JPG

Hope these remarks help. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. That's what we are here for.

• 3. Re: Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel