11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 12:55 PM by ChuckMcL

Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play

Qubbie

The latest in my string of unexplainable problems is that all sound from one particular project has cut off. The audio is still THERE, but it won't play out the speakers. It started in the middle of working on a project while trying to add narration. As far I as I could tell, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but the fact that it's only the one project makes me think I may have pushed a mute button or something. Could that be the problem, or is it just some horrible glitch?

• 1. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be. Have you checked your Windows Sound settings to ensure you haven't muted something?

Also, in Premiere Elements, go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click the ASIO Settings. Ensure that this configuration matches your hardware configuration.

And of course check the obvious too. Play something with Windows Media Player to ensure you haven't just kicked loose a speaker wire or somethign.

• 2. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
            Qubbie Level 1

Well, that's the confusing part. Sound plays from everything else as usual, even other projects in the same program. It's the one PE project file that won't play the sound. But as I said before, I can see that the sound is still there.

• 3. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
              nealeh Level 5

Check you haven't muted the audio channel (click the 'Mix Audio' button).

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                Qubbie Level 1

Nope, each channel is unmuted and still won't make any sound.

• 5. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                  nealeh Level 5

Does the sound return if you delete the Narration audio?

Export the audio to a .wav file and see if it plays in a software media player (e.g. itunes, windows media player, ...).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Which Audio Tracks are affected by this behavior?

There are more Audio Tracks, and one can even add more. I would look at moving the problem Track's Clips to another Audio Track, say if the Narration Track is causing an issue, just move those Clips to say Audio Track 3, and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - some users have had similar issues with the two fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration, but other than moving those Assets, I do not recall any real solution, but may have just missed it.

• 7. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                      Qubbie Level 1

There's a lot of audio spread between each track. None are working. I really don't think its the files themselves, I think something has just

gone wrong in the project file.

• 8. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a CHECKLIST of some things to look into, with Audio issues. You have probably ruled out some, but maybe something will be useful.

Also, are there any MP3's involved anywhere?

When you playback with Window>Audio Mixer open, do you see the Levels in all of your Tracks?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                          Qubbie Level 1

It seems irrational problems are usually solved by irrational means. I opened up the narration window, unchecked "mute audio while recording," and then closed it. Now everything is fine.

Thanks for the help anyway.

• 10. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you found the fix for the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Sound from Premiere Elements 4.0 Won't Play
                              ChuckMcL

I had a similar problem, I'll tell you how I solved it.  Understand that I am a newbie at video editing and Premiere Pro.  I shot videos on a DSLR (.mov) and then transferred them to my computer.  I then imported them into Premiere CS6.  The videos played fine, and the sound bars indicated that audio was playing, but there was no sound.  The clips I imported played fine in Windows Media Player.  I did everything suggested on the forums, but to no avail.  Then I thought of something no one else had suggested, and it worked!

I ordered my Rain Stratus computer already set up with Premiere CS6 installed.  When I opened a new project, it by default chose Black Magic Design presets, since that is the video card I have.  Being a newbie, I just went with that.  But since the video I was importing was not captured by my Black Magic video card, it was the wrong choice.  It took awhile to figure out, but I finally realized I needed to choose Digital SLR as the sequence preset when I created a new project.  Then the audio worked!

One more thing I had to do, though, before it worked: in PremierePro, go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware.  I had to change the hardware from Black Magic Audio to Premiere Pro WDM Sound, click ASIO settings, choose my speakers, and then check the box marked "device 32-bit playback" (even thought I have a 64-bit computer.)

I hope that helps someone else from going through the same frustration.