9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 8:59 PM by John T Smith

Upgrade or Educational Version?

KJonesy Level 1

The cost is about the same. The man at the bookstore told me I only get one license if I upgrade, but two licenses if I buy the educational version (I am considering the Master Suite). Is this true? If I upgrade, can I only install on one computer???

• 1. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
          TradeWind Level 3

Both are single license products. However, by purchasing the academic version, you retain the license to your older product. It doesn't give you an additional license for CS5, though.

The license agreement DOES allow installation on a secondary computer (laptop, for example) as long as the two machines are running the software concurrently.

• 2. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

> two machines are running the software concurrently

I think that would be...  two machines are NOT running the software concurrently

As for licensing... go to the Education section at Adobe and click around

• 3. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
              Kona Bob Level 2

I think you will accomplish nothing very important license-wise by buying the Ed version rather than the regular upgrade to CS5.

If you buy the upgrade, you can deactivate your older CS and reinstall it on two other computers. The new CS5 you can install on 2 computers.

I don't see how buying the Ed version would affect those numbers, it would still be 2 installs of each version (2 CS5 + 2 CS OLD).

Also, sometimes the Ed version does not come with all of the extra "bonus" material, content related material, etc.

• 4. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?

> Ed version does not come with all of the extra

That used to be the case... but as of CS5, according to what I read @Adobe, the contents are exactly the same

• 5. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

That is good to know. In many Adobe Ed-versions, the Functional Content has been expanded to that of the full-paid versions. It's tough to keep up with which products have this, so your info is important.

Going back, there was only one Ed-version, and the biggest drawback for me was an entry in the EULA, that those old Ed-versions could not be used for commercial work. Since there was no way to check where the output was used, and it was totally on the "honor system," I upheld that, and did not go with the Ed-version. As I had previously acquired most of the products that I needed, it was just logical that I upgrade from the full-paid versions. That restriction seems to have been removed at some point in the past. Also, there are now at least two Ed-versions, and I do not know which is which, or what the specifics might be, regarding Functional Content, upgrading/no upgrading, etc.. Actually in the past few years/versions, I have learned much from following your comments, and often recommend a poster wait until you drop by with the definitive answers.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?

Well, there really only is one Education version... the difference is how you buy and receive a serial number

The "general" EdVersion may be purchased at a "general" education store, such as studica or academicsuperstore... right now, from what I've seen, CS5 Master Collection EdV is "about" $900 at one of these places and, as far as I know, comes with a serial number on the disc case for installation (you do need to provide your proof of status to the store)

The "special" EdV may only be purchased from a store that has a specific agreement with an Education providor (University, etc) and that EdProvider ALSO has an agreement signed with Adobe

I bought CS5 MC-EdV from the online store that Wasington State University uses... for $644 + shipping... and I then had to go to the web site included with the sale and enter my proof of employment status to receive a serial number to install

I don't have the links handy to the terms of sale (those are at work) but I do remember reading that there are NO restrictions on what you may do with the software, only that you must be a current student or employee to be able to buy the EdVersion

• 7. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, thanks for the distinction on the Ed-versions. That makes more sense.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
                        rowby Level 1

Please do provide us with those links.  And do you have to be a student or employee with Washington University -- or a qualifying student at another university?/??

Thanks

Rowby

• 9. Re: Upgrade or Educational Version?
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

rowby wrote:

Please do provide us with those links.  And do you have to be a student or employee with Washington University -- or a qualifying student at another university?/??

As I said, this link is specific to WSU, since WSU has a signed agreement with the online store AND with Adobe... so you are NOT going to be able to buy here, since that requires a WSU logon ID

http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingDetails.aspx?ws=bc66e4b5-4af4-dc11-89b0-0030485a6b 08&vsro=8&o=3134294e-905f-df11-b841-0030487d8897

If you are a student at some other place, ask at your school to find out if they have an agreement with an online vendor... only that Education provider will be able to give you a link that YOU may use, based on your student ID and logon

For everything else, start here and click the links

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-EDU&event=displayEduCondit ions&promoid=FCRWP