3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 12:11 PM by Reynolds (Mark)

CTRL+A to Include Active Layers' Out-of-Bound Contents

sfjedi

I have an idea. How about when we hit CTRL+A for Select All, it creates a selection that possibly goes outside of the document bounds. That is, this selection would include the entire contents of the active layers instead of just the portion that is within the document bounds.

• 1. Re: CTRL+A to Include Active Layers' Out-of-Bound Contents
          harry teasley Level 1

I use Ctrl-A followed by Image > Crop to trim all off-canvas layer info all the time. So I would not be for that change in functionality.

If there were a Layer or Select menu option to do this, I wouldn't care about that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CTRL+A to Include Active Layers' Out-of-Bound Contents
            sfjedi Level 1

harry teasley wrote:

I use Ctrl-A followed by Image > Crop to trim all off-canvas layer info all the time. So I would not be for that change in functionality.

That's a good technique. I wouldn't want to mess with that.

So, yeah. If this were in another menu item then that would definitely suffice. At least then you can map it to any keyboard shortcut you wish.

I'm just trying to find a compromise for my previous request to cut, copy and paste layer information. If you could "select" the portions outside of the document bounds then this would be achievable without breaking any "fundamentals of the UI," as you had previously stated.

Sounds like a good compromise to me.

• 3. Re: CTRL+A to Include Active Layers' Out-of-Bound Contents
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Yes there are various aspects of Photoshops selections and cropping that could be improved, with regard to ignoring or including the canvas edges. Optionally of course. CS5 seems to have fiddled with a few of these things,  I will have to check next time I get a chance

Personally, a feature to simply Crop an individual layer and its mask to the document bounds - is a simple feature that I have been looking for, for years. A simple way to crop other retouchers work who don't realise that they have dragged in an 800% mask area outside the canvas on a layer, and ballooned the file size.