17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 6:06 AM by Szalam

Layering

TomBradyRules Level 1

How do I hand-select an area from footage without having it be a layer with white on top of it and put it into different footage? And possibly move it frame by frame?

• 1. Re: Layering
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

To set the in and out point of a layer you can use the Option (mac) or Alt (windows) key plus the [ to set the in and the ] to set the out. You can then drag the entire clip around to any point you like in the time line. If you want to snap the in point to a specific time, let's say 0:00:23;15, then move the CTI (current time indicator) to that spot, hold down the shift key and with the Selection tool (keyboard shortcut = v) drag the clip to that point and it will snap to the CTI.

If you want to then put that video on top of another piece of video so that it is smaller, press the S key to scale the footage or hold down the shift key and grab a corner with the selection tool, then move the shot into position.

Hope that helps. I'm not sure what you mean by the "white on top of it" part of your question.

• 2. Re: Layering
            TomBradyRules Level 1

Thanks for the quick help, its a little over my head, but anyway, what I meant was, I want to trace my body (make it a separate layer) and take it from the rest of a picture, then put ONLY what I traced into my video, with it being clear (like its really IN the video). I don't want there to be an actual like white solid layer covering up what I traced.Thats all I need to know: How to make a layer without the "layer" part being seen. I hope this was a little clearer.

• 3. Re: Layering
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe he's talking about rotoscoping and he's creating a solid (or a shape layer) and using it as a track matte.

If rotoscoping is what you have in mind. This page should explain it all. (If you don't have CS5, go here. It's the same info but you won't have the Rotobrush Tool.)

• 4. Re: Layering
                TomBradyRules Level 1

Yea I just want to throw a still shot of my body, traced with the pen tool, into footage for about 1/2 second, moving in the shot.  The only way I know how to do this is to take the picture, do  "new layer" "comp size" then trace my body, but then it makes a white layer over my body, which I don't want. I KNOW how to put the actual LAYER into the footage, I just don't know how to have THE ACTUAL PICTURE of what I traced, WHITHOUT the "layer" over it.

• 5. Re: Layering
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trace on the image of your body or use the white solid as an Alpha Track Matte. Dig through the Help files (F1) and search for track matte. I'd give you a link but I want you to work a bit for the answer.

• 6. Re: Layering
                    TomBradyRules Level 1

Thanks sir, I'm only 14 so I guess I have the energy to go searching

• 7. Re: Layering
                      TomBradyRules Level 1

I'm still kind of lost. Do I have to make my body a separate layer, then change it's track matte to Alpha Inv, then put it right under the footage, cause it seems like my body would still have the white layer over it if I did that. By the way, thanks for your help and time.

• 8. Re: Layering
                        TomBradyRules Level 1

I am so lost. I know VERY little about after effects except making lightsabers. I REALLY NEED JUST A STEP BY STEP walkthrough cause I don't have much time left for this project.

• 9. Re: Layering
                          TomBradyRules Level 1

Ok one last time, I've got 2 layers. my footage, in which I jump off the patio, then it's the deck with me NOT IN it for about 1 second, then it shows me landing (I jumped from a few feet off the ground.) The OTHER layer is a still photo of me from the same distance away. I want to trace my body from the picture, AND PUT JUST MY BODY ("falling") INTO THE SHOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE ME, and then animate it frame by frame to match up with the end of my first jump, and the beginning of the landing.

• 10. Re: Layering
                            TomBradyRules Level 1

Sorry sir I must seem pretty frustrating, but just to make sure you know what I'm talking about- I've got 2 layers. my footage, in which I jump off the deck, then it's same excact shot with me NOT IN it for about 1 second, then it shows me landing (I jumped from a few feet off the ground.) The OTHER layer is a still photo of me from the same distance away. I want to trace my body from the picture, AND PUT JUST MY BODY ("falling") INTO THE SHOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE ME, and then animate it frame by frame to match up with the end of my first jump, and the beginning of the landing.Thanks alot.

• 11. Re: Layering
                              TomBradyRules Level 1

Sorry to be frustrating but I need to get this done, fast. I've got 2 layers. 1)my footage, in which I jump off the patio, then the same excact shot without me IN it for about 1 second, then it shows me landing (I jumped from a few feet off the ground.) The OTHER layer is a still photo of me from the same distance away. I want to trace my body from the picture, AND PUT JUST MY BODY ("falling") INTO THE SHOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE ME, and then animate it frame by frame to match up with the end of my first jump, and the beginning of the landing.

• 12. Re: Layering
                                TomBradyRules Level 1

oh oops sorry I sent you the same thing twice I think, sorry.

• 13. Re: Layering
                                  TomBradyRules Level 1

I've got 2 layers. 1) my footage, in which I jump off the patio, then it's the deck with me NOT IN it for about 1 second, then it shows me landing (I jumped from a few feet off the ground.) and 2)The OTHER layer is a still photo of me from the same distance away. I want to trace my body from the picture, AND PUT JUST MY BODY ("falling") INTO THE SHOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE ME, and then animate it frame by frame to match up with the end of my first jump, and the beginning of the landing. I know you guys want me to actually LEARN it and WORK for it, but I don't have time- I NEED to know what to do.

• 14. Re: Layering

Create a mask on the still image of you.

Animate using position, rotation, etc. and the puppet tool.

Once you're done with this project that you are in such a rush for, I highly suggest you check out this page and go through all of the resources. Once you do that, you will be a lot less frustrated when you try to work in AE.

• 15. Re: Layering
                                      TomBradyRules Level 1

Thanks so much, I was afraid no one would answer again.

• 16. Re: Layering
                                        TomBradyRules Level 1

One last question and I promise I'll leave you alone. How do I move the mask of me, to the footage?

• 17. Re: Layering

Copy and paste.