4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 11:25 AM by John Danek

Discmakers Project: Color Question

gwirt

Hi,

Using Photoshop and Illustrator CS3 I'm wrapping up a project for a Discmakers digipac. My color management settings are synced...setting: North American General Purpose 2. All my linked images are 300 dpi. The photos were originally RGB then desaturated in Photoshop and given a sepia tone, then saved as CMYK as required by the printer. Everyting looks fine in both Adobe programs but the photos have a strong green tint in any other program. Actually, the same is true for any CMYK desaturated photo. Greyscale black and whites look fine.

My question is: when this goes to the printer will I get the colors I see in Illustrator or the green tinted ones?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

This is a link to the Discmakers guide:

http://www.discmakers.com/templates/faq.asp

• 1. Re: Discmakers Project: Color Question
          John Danek Level 4

I'm guessing you'll get the color seen in Illustrator.  Not all applications are color managed and preview images are unreliable at best.  You should, for your own piece-of-mind, have the job contract proofed ( see a local reputable print shop ) before sending it off to the print vendor.  You should also supply a contract proof along with the disk so that the print provider has something to match.  Then, when the provider runs the file ( get their workflow specs before you have it proofed on your end ) through their prepress department's equipment, they can supply you with a matched proof of their own and, with any luck, they both match and it's off to the races.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Discmakers Project: Color Question
            gwirt Level 1

Thanks John, I sort of suspected that. I have to include a print of the layout with the project as a reference. The project needs to be CMYK but an inkjet printer distorts the colors unless I convert to RGB. I guess I'll send them a print of the RGB version so the colors look right or, as you suggest, take it to a print shop and let them do one.

G.

• 3. Re: Discmakers Project: Color Question
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That is the right way,although with a lot of work time and paper I have been able to get accurate print outs from Illustrator using a CMYK file,

I haven't had need lately and changed printers but there is a workflow that can work or at least use to. It worked in ID and Illustrator but a little more accurate inIllustrator.

The RGB method is probably the best way as that is the way the printer is set up unless you get a RIP for the printer, which solves the problm but at a cost.

• 4. Re: Discmakers Project: Color Question
                John Danek Level 4

Forget any type of desktop print.  Get a "contract" proof and make sure you specify it that way.  Any proof worth its salt is going to go through a RIP.  You set yourself up for some vulnerability if you send a desktop print along with the file.