1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 9:32 PM by John Waller

Syncing heavily updated local files with site in dw. Please Help.

AScibetta

First off, I am not very familiar with Dreamweaver. Im a VB coder. I recently was hired to redo an HTML website into asp.net, however my client would like to be able to upgrade his menu quickly now, which is not my strong point.

Goal:

To have an easily updatable spreadsheet. (have Local File "A" sync Remote File "A")  My client would like to easily update his menu, daily, on excel and have it show up on the website without needing any permanent web management or web design skills.

What I Have:

A macro in excel that exports the excel spreadsheet to an synced ftp folder. The file is updated on the server every time it is changed.

Question:

How do I link my formatted menu.htm file to the website? Is there some easier way to do this? Is there an alternate way of doing this?

• 1. Re: Syncing heavily updated local files with site in dw. Please Help.
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest way I know of achieving this is:

1) Set up the menu on the webpage as a CSS styled, unordered list

For example:

<ul id="menu">

<li> Menu Item 1</li>

<li> Menu Item 1</li>

<li> Menu Item 1</li>

<li> Menu Item 1</li>

<li> Menu Item 1</li>

</ul>

2) Convert the unordered list into a Server Side Include (SSI).

a) Remove the unordered list markup from the main page and save it as a plain text file.

b) Add an include directive in the main page to insert the text file (unordered list code fragment) on-the-fly on the server.

3) The client edits the text file containing the unordered list code fragment and uploads the text file