5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 9:28 AM by shawalaahmed

Checking Punctuation

Oviya... Level 1

Hi friends

Can we check punctuation marks in every end of the line in Indesign document.

• 1. Re: Checking Punctuation
          Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check in what way?

- "Line" as in end of line or end of paragraph?

- Check whether there is a punctuation mark or whether there isn't?

- Check for which kind of punctuation?

- Just one punctuation mark or more?

- In which version of InDesign?

- Which platform?

- Which script language?

There's a start!

Peter

• 2. Re: Checking Punctuation
            Oviya... Level 1

1. Start & End of the Line in every paragraph. Not end of the paragraph.

2. All the punctuation marks we have to check, and it dont want to appear more than 2 times in end of the line in a paragraph.

3. If its appered more than 2 times in the paragraph ie start or end of the line we have to identify tat paragraph.

4. I need to find this Punctuation marks in Indesign file using InDesign Scripting [Indesign CS4]

• 3. Re: Checking Punctuation
              Harbs. Level 6

myPara.lines.everyItem().contents

This will give you an array of the contents of each line. You can loop through that and figure out what you'd like...

Harbs

• 4. Re: Checking Punctuation
                SB Masthan Level 1

Hi All,

I am also expecting the answer for this discussion. How can we compare the punctuation elements with the content. I have tried with below command but couldn't get the result. If any solution to compare the content with puntuations globally, it will be really helpful for us.

if (ln[i].contents.substring(ln[i].contents.length - 1, ln[i].contents.length - 2) == "[[:punct:]]")

regards

Masthan

• 5. Re: Checking Punctuation
                  shawalaahmed

Why not? Here I brought a useful punctuation checker. I hope this one will helpful for you.