6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 7:27 AM by the_wine_snob

File export function is grey / inactive

Nicomil2000

I have cut manually a DV-AVI-file in different sequences using PRE 8. I deleted all the sequencies in the timeline except one. This remaining sequence I want to export as a new AVI-File using File -> Export - Funciton.

But: this function is not activated, so I can't export it.

What is wrong with my PRE ?

• 1. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
          nealeh Level 5

Export functions were moved to the [Share] tab in PRE8. File>  Export is now only used for Titles.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale has pointed you to correct location for your task. It was moved and combined into Share at about PrE 8. Took many of us by surprise.

A couple of tips:

What you have in your Project Panel are "Clips," and when you place them (or parts of them) on the Timeline, they are "Instances" of those Clips.

The term Sequences, in Adobe parlance, refers to separate Timelines in PrPro, PrE's big-brother. There, or even in PrE, which officially does not have true "Sequences," the entire Timeline is referred to as a "Sequence."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
              Nicomil2000 Level 1

Neale: meanwhile I realized that I have to do the export exactly the way you described. But what happens is: date/time-information is lost. I think that has to do exactly with the descriptions made by Bill on the post of Jun 12, 2010 8:47 AM.

Since my goal is to separate a whole MiniDV-AVI-File into the different (self chosen) sequencies without loosing any metadata information and with the date/time in the file name is:

• I split the file using DVMP (since I can split the file wherever I want without loosing any metadata and I can modify timecode and/or date/time)
              • I rename the resulting AVI-Files using ScenAlyze

The so created files I will use in PRE 8.

• 4. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Just remember that when you Export/Share from your editing program, you are creating a new AV file, and that no metadata from any of the source material will be in this, as it is now an original and different file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
                  Nicomil2000 Level 1

That is exactly what I experienced a couple of days ago.

And that is the reason why I purchased DVMP Pro suggested by Colin-B. I have got the software yesterday. The first thing I did: I corrected the date/time on a couple of my AVI-Files (without loosing/modifying the rest of the metadata). That worked perfectly.

This weekend I will split the one-hour-AVI-Files (filmed without any interruption). I have no doubt that this will work well since I did it already with the demo version of DVMP.

The last step will be (before the real work with PRE begins): I will pass these resulting files through ScenAlyzer since this software picks out the date/time from the first frame and adds this information to the filename.

Cheers

Peter

• 6. Re: File export function is grey / inactive
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like a good workflow. Please keep the thread updated with your successes, as you will likely help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt