8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2010 7:23 PM by tribble3

PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?

tribble3

I've installed the PE8 trial version onto a new computer build I just completed; Intel i7 860, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit. Some things work, but a LOT of things seem to cause crashes.

I created a blank project (NTSC DV widescreen) to play with some clips that came off of my Canon Elura 100 SD DV camcorder. This is footage that was originally dumped to PC over firewire via Windows Movie Maker and then assembled into a simple movie with a few cuts, titles, fade out to black, nothing super fancy. During the "share" to DVD folder process, the encoding process crashes. Since other "share" to DVD folder sessions for projects using footage from the same camera captured via PE8 have not crashed, I can only assume there is some sort of bitstream oddity in the source clip that I'm using that PE8s codecs fail to digest properly so they implode.

I also have a short HD clip I like to test things with; this is about 90 seconds of 720p ATSC recorded off the air via an HD tuner card, then trimmed with MPEG Video Wizard. Plays great in VLC, Nero Showtime, Windows Media Player, Quicktime..but NOT PE8. PE8 will lock up at the same spot in the video every time; if I'm careful, I can save and quit, but if I try to navigate around the glitch, PE8 will freeze (not crash) and I'll have to force quit it. I also can't export any project with this clip in it. I don't have an HD camcorder today, but I plan to upgrade in the future and want an app that can handle it.

I have an NVIDIA 9800GT card (1GB RAM) with the very latest NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website I could find (197.45). I've turned off the "threaded optimization" for PE8 per a tip I found. There is no "hardware acceleration" slider to set to off in my control panel where another tip told me to look, so no dice there. The Windows install is only two weeks old, so there has not been a lot of time for it to get corrupted. I don't have any AV active when I do my PE8 testing.

My concern is this... I have a lot of video clips lying around from my Canon Elura or other sources that have been around a long time and may not be pristine. If PE8 is going to puke each time it finds a bit error, it's going to be useless to me. Advice like "recapture the video" or "just don't use that clip" is also useless. I need a tool that I can configure to be reliable and that is going to let me piece together my years of video hoarding into DVDs for the extended family, and I don't want to invest a lot of time into a fragile solution.

Why does PE8 crash with certain source clips and what can I do about it? Thanks!

• 1. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Windows 7 is a great operating system, but its drivers aren't quite ripe yet. At least when it comes to interfacing with a 32-bit bit program like Premiere Elements 8. We're all hoping that the when SP1 is released later this summer, much of this will be resolved.

Meantime, in Premiere Elements go to the Help menu and select Check for Updates to ensure you have the 8.01 patch.

Also, go to Apple get the latest Quicktime, which plays an important role in all video editing.

But there is, unfortunately, the possiblity that this version of the program (which has an unusual number of sensitivities) simply won't go with your system. That's why there are free trials of the program. And, if that's the case, you may want to look for an alternative -- or wait until the program and the operating system get along better.

• 2. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us just a bit more info?

Please give full details of you I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of free space, controller type, and how allocated.

Can you give us the full details of the various files that you working with, i.e. their format and their CODEC?

Do you get any error, or warning messages, or does the program just quit?

How many programs, or Processes do you have running? Task Manager>Processes can show you, or you can use a program, like Process Explorer.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on programs and Processes that load at boot up.

You mention a DV NTSC Project for the material from WMM, but what did you choose for the Project Preset for the HD Project?

This ARTICLE will give you tips and pointers to a lot of very useful tools to use in troubleshooting.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

PS - there are major differences between playing AV material, and editing AV material. That the simple players do play it is a good sign, but no indication of how well, if at all, that material will edit.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
              tribble3 Level 1

Bill, thanks for the ideas.

I don't think disks have anything to do with the problem, but if you're curious, you can see my disk manager screenshot here: http://www.likesgadgets.com/lj/disks.png

These are either SATA2 or IDE disks hosted on the motherboard, Gigabyte P55A-UD4P. Nothing unusual, no overclocking. memtest86 and prime95 run all day happily.

I don't know how to get the codec information you requested on my current platform. Maybe you can recommend a tool or method. I found GSpot on the recommended tools list and ran it against the problem clips. The ATSC clip is MPEG2 It is a 720x1280 (16:9) clip. Also, it is a 60p (59.97) clip, which makes me wonder if that's where that particular problem comes in... there is no preset available for 60p clips, and apparently no way to change the presets. There is no ATSC preset. Maybe the answer for PE8 is "we can't deal with ATSC, sorry." But, PE8 will still let you drop it in the timeline...

The DV clip from the Canon Elura is an .avi movie based on the dvsd (DVC/DV video) codec.I used Windows Movie Maker to export it, probably using one of those codecs like "high quality video" I don't have that version of WMM available since I installed Windows 7, so I can't go back and get the exact name. There is a "Compatibility note: DV type 1 AVI" in the GSpot output.

Regarding processes, I have between 45-55 processes going. Unless there is a specific, known incompatibility between PE8 and some particular process, I doubt just the number of processes is an issue. I don't get any out of resource errors and the system is not slow. I'm not a PE8 expert, but I don't think resources are an issue.

• 4. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the number of Processes can sap one's resources, and many CAN get in the way of any NLE operation. Processes like iTunes Helper, Roxio/Nero "sniffers," or "helpers," Windows Indexing, some Win7 Audio handlers and the like can cause problems. Some Processes, like Bonjour Services can be issues, but will be required by some programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are a couple of recent 60i threads here, and they might prove useful. The DV-AVI Type I, while not ideal, like DV-AVI Type II, should not be an issue. Type I's can exhibit OOS issues, but those are very easily fixed, as the OOS is usually static and not dynamic, like with many MPEG flavors.

• 5. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, looking at that I/O chart, it appears that there are some partitions in play, but they look very small, so I am assuming that they are for an OS Image for recovery. Is that correct?

On your C:\, do you have the OS, and programs? Where is your Page File located, and how is it managed? Are your media files and your Project files + Scratch Disks, on separate physical HDD's?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - This is one of the best ARTICLES on HDD setup for video editing, that I have seen.

• 6. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
                    tribble3 Level 1

Steve, thanks for the thoughts... I failed to mention in my original post that I have already applied the 8.01 patch, but thanks!

• 7. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
                      tribble3 Level 1

Bill,

OS and programs launch from C:\, intel SSD. Screaming fast, but limited life, so I have my pagefile and project files on the larger, magnetic disks. There are some linux partitions floating around there as well as Windows 7 mystery partition (100MB). pagefile is automagically managed. Process viewer never shows significant pagefile usage during PE8 test sessions. I'm pretty sure I have codec/stream issues, not disk performance issues, unless there is one hell of a threading/timing bug buried in one of the codecs, which is possible but unlikely. Of course, you know what they say... once you have eliminated the probable, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the explanation. The trick is not eliminating probable causes without due investigation. :-)

I skimmed the HDD article, and I'm not sure I believe all of that anymore. For example, I do not believe the partition table needs to be read before each disk access. These tables do not change; they should be read once and cached. The rest looks like reasonable advice.

Thanks again!

• 8. Re: PE8 - source clip sensitivities/crashes help?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Trust Harm. He knows exactly what he's talking about. He's been building NLE mega-systems for a long time, and always holds the record for processing power. If he gives that up, he tweaks until he's back at the top.

The I/O, with the exception of AVCHD, is the most important, and most overlooked aspect of the system. People try to struggle by with inadequate I/O's, and when they finally realize the issue, come back with thank yous, for solving their playback issues.

Now, that does not rule out CODEC issues, in your case, but it is something that should never be dismissed.

Good luck,

Hunt