3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 2:17 PM by jkdeer

Premiere Pro playback Footage issue - W/ After Effects Composition

jkdeer

Hi, I've had a very irritating issue as of late.

I've been working on a project for the past couple weeks and it has been going well.

I use AVCHD 1080p 29.97fps 24p footage. It plays perfectly fine in my Premiere Pro CS4 and After Effects CS4. I have used After Effects to replace many parts of the footage and has gone very well... Except one piece of footage.

For what ever reason, it plays terribly only when I apply an After Effects composition to it. If it is the raw footage, it's fine. If I alter it in after effects it's fine. But if it's altered from AE and I attempt to play it in Premiere Pro it repeats old frames. A mixture of stuttering and several frames back through out the whole clip.

I have NO idea what caused it or why it's happening.

Does anyone know?

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro playback Footage issue - W/ After Effects Composition
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVCHD footage is highly compressed using a GOP compression scheme. This makes it unsuitable for heavy processing and subject to all kinds of errors and artifacts when re-compressed. The best workflow is to convert (transcode) your AVCHD footage to a lossless or nearly lossless codec that preferably uses YUV color space. I work mostly on a Mac so my preference is Apple ProRez 444. I transcode everything that I work on that is going to require more than just straight cuts.

Try transcoding (Adobe Media Encoder or Compressor or even Quick Time Pro are a few of the options) your problematic clip, replace the AVCHD footage in your AE comp with the transcoded footage, then re-render to a lossless or nearly lossless codec. Bring your new render into PPro and render a preview. Let us know if this fixes your problem.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro playback Footage issue - W/ After Effects Composition
            jkdeer Level 1

So I don't lose quality, would an uncompressed AVI 1920x1080 work? The last thing I want is to have a weird change in resolution or quality from one clip to this one.

And if it helps, I'll clarify that I am using a dynamic link when using Premiere Pro and After Effects. So that's one reason why I've been so confused. I would have both programs opened. AE would render the file fine and play smoothly once rendered, but not in Premiere Pro.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro playback Footage issue - W/ After Effects Composition
              jkdeer Level 1

I followed your advice and converted it. I did so to a an AVI 1920x1080 at maximum depth. Thankfully it kept same quality and resolution and no hiccups. Thanks again!!!