18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2010 1:46 PM by ReneGnam

Pagemaker for WIN 7

invincible86 Level 1

Hi,

I have been using pagemaker 6.5 on win xp for a long time now.

But now i have upgraded to windows 7. And also i was hoping to upgrade to pagemaker 7.0.

But the system requirements does not list windows 7 in it. So i am just curious.

Will pagemaker 7.0 work on windows 7? Or is there any way to make it work?

Also, can i make pagemaker 6.5 work on windows 7 ?

Looking forward to the answer,

Thnks in advance.

• 1. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Pagemaker 7 is the better part of 10 years old with code that's more like 20. This progam was effectively replaced by InDesign many years ago.

I suggest you take advantage of Adobe's generous offer to upgrade to InDesign from Pagemaker for about $199. You can get it from Amazon with free shipping: http://amzn.to/bkp7ox

The problems running PM on Windows 7 have already been discussed to death. Take a look at some of the recent posts.

Bob

• 2. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
            Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

PageMaker has been an officially dead

product for some years now. I cannot understand that Adobe keeps on

selling it.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.

• 3. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
              BigJohnD Level 3

What Bob and Claudio said.

• 4. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                Support Pagemaker Level 1

When my XP computer died, after much agony, I decided to go with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit which supports / runs a Virtual XP operating environment.  This XP OS has so far run PM6.5 very well.  It is possible to use the clipboard and bring things back and forth between 7 and XP.  7 is a complex OS and there is also a learning curve for XP Virtual.

Bottom line is that there is an OS that will support 6.5.

• 5. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                  BigJohnD Level 3

Best of luck.

Keep lots of back-ups for when disaster stikes.

• 6. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

Good point on the backup.  This is always critical, especially when this appears to be a rather "sensitive" operating environment.  What problems have you experienced that got you to this opinion?  It may have already been answered on the forum, if so I apologize for asking.

• 7. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                      train67 Level 1

I have exactly the same question. The problem is, among others, that we're getting responses

from people who are not Adobe employees, at least not that I can tell. The responders

are suggesting do this, do that, but no one is clearly saying PM 6.5 will NOT work with Win 7.

I've tried loading my copy a couple of times but I get an error message saying I'm missing

some code (I can't read it and copy it at the same time to insert into this e-mail).

So, if anyone from Adobe reads this, is there a work-around so PM 6.5 will work in Windows 7?

Thanks,

Leo King

train1812@att.net

• 8. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

These are user to user forums not a direct line to or from Adobe.

I can assure though that if someone from Adobe did pop in they'd tell you just what's been posted. PM 6.5 is not supported at all under anything later than Win 98.

PM is supported under XP and nothing later.

You want to take your chance? Go for it, but don't expect it to work. In fact, I'll be shocked to hear of anyone getting any version of PM to work properly under Win 7.

Bob

• 9. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                          BigJohnD Level 3

train67 wrote:

I have exactly the same question. The problem is, among others, that we're getting responses

from people who are not Adobe employees, at least not that I can tell. The responders

are suggesting do this, do that, but no one is clearly saying PM 6.5 will NOT work with Win 7.

I've tried loading my copy a couple of times but I get an error message saying I'm missing

some code (I can't read it and copy it at the same time to insert into this e-mail).

So, if anyone from Adobe reads this, is there a work-around so PM 6.5 will work in Windows 7?

Thanks,

Leo King

train1812@att.net

This is a user-to-user forum, so you're correct - we're not Adobe employees.

If you want to speak to Adobe Support, the details of phone numbers for your part of the planet are elsewhere on this site.

However, Adobe will tell you PM6.5 is about 12 years, no longer officially supported and if you want to install it on Win7, you do it at your own risk.

If it is vital to run PM6.5, install it on Win98 or Win2K PC.

• 10. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

Leo,

Are you trying to load 6.5 into 7 or XP Virtual?  My 6.5 is running in XP Virtual as part of 7 Ultimate.

I have no affiliation with Aldus and Adobe other than buying software dating back to Pagemaker 1.

Bob

• 11. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

What BigJohnD and BobLevine are saying is absolutely correct.  6.5 is an old platform and Adobe has not effectively (in my assessment) supported the product.  Their action (again in my assessment) has been more to alienate Pagemaker Users.

In my opinoin 6.5 is an excellent product.  However, I have used it for years and it has accomplished my objectives better than any other product.

• 12. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

How many times does it need to be repeated? Aldus was already in the process of killing PM before Adobe bought them. PM may have been an excellent product 20 years ago but by today's standards it can't even hold a candle to Publisher.

Bob

• 13. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Has any of you taken a look around here?

http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker/

Or read any of the several long discussions on the subject (some of them quite old) in this forum?

• 14. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                                    train67 Level 1

Hi, Bob,

It works fine in XP.

I recently upgraded one computer to 7; the other 3 are XP and will remain so, for now.

Thanks,

Leo

• 15. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7

If you're going to run PM I'd say that's the safest bet.

Bob

• 16. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                                        Because I said so. Level 1

I have PM 6.5 working on windows 7 pro edition in "xp mode" however there are some printing issues with an older printer we have.  I think microsoft charges $99. to give you the xp activate key if you have professional edition- but I can't remember for sure.

On my other laptop with win 7 home edition PM 6.5 will not load.  I have considered setting up the Virtualization Machine mentioned here, and on win 7 forums, but it seems like more trouble than it is worth.  It's almost easier to buy a used xp laptop or machine and dedicate it to page maker.

I can't help but note that the comments about pm 6.5 being obsolete are missing the point.  And the gentleman who claims that publisher is better than PM 6.5 obviously is not a PM 6.5 user.  He may HAVE used it at some time, but no- he's not a user.  This is an uninformed opinion.  But then I've also heard people say that anything PM will do, Word will do.  Technically that may be true, but you could probably build a house with a can opener, not that you would actually want to.

Good luck all!

• 18. Re: Pagemaker for WIN 7
                                          ReneGnam Level 1

Good for you!

Question...

Is Win7 running in XP Mode, or is PM7 running in XP compatibility mode?