6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 1:50 AM by Jacob Bugge

How do you place a photo inside text

sbausman01

Hi,

I am trying to place a collage of photos inside outlined text.  I can't seem to figure it out in CS5.  I was also trying to do it with text that was outline, but it was warped.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How do you place a photo inside text
          sbausman01 Level 1

very basic, but I thought I would include an image of what I am trying to do.

Screen shot 2010-06-13 at 2.56.14 PM.png

• 2. Re: How do you place a photo inside text
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

s,

You may use Live Type.

If the photos are within the boundaries of the lilac rectangle, you may (with the rectangle in front of the photos):

1) Select the Live Type and the lilac rectangle;

2) In the Transparency palette/panel flyout select Make Opacity Mask (Clip and Invert Mask unticked).

If not, you may (with the rectangle in front of the photos):

1) Select the Live Type and the photos;

2) Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do you place a photo inside text
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well the Lavender rectangle can be placed behind the images clipped by the text, you can create that any time.

You can have live text as well but you either have to composed the images so they fall within the shape of the letters in Illustrator or as one composite in Photoshop. Or crop them as individual files in Photoshop and arrange them in Illustrator and then make the text a clipping mask. For the white stroke around the text I would give it another stroke but On a duplicate of the text and place that behind the clipping mask text.Screen shot 2010-06-13 at 5.37.36 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do you place a photo inside text

s,

Amended version:

You may use Live Type.

If the  photos are within the boundaries of the lilac rectangle, you may (with  the rectangle in front of the photos):

1) Select the Live Type and the  lilac rectangle;

2) In the Transparency palette/panel flyout  select Make Opacity Mask (Clip and Invert Mask unticked).

If not, you  may (with the rectangle in front of behind the photos):

1) Select  the Live Type and the photos;

2) Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

And I forgot about the white stroke for the letters, as rightly pointed out by Wade:

With a copy of the Live Type on top of everything:

3) In the Toolbox set Fill to None;

4) In the Appearance palette/panel flyout Add New Stroke, set Stroke Weight and colour as desired.

• 5. Re: How do you place a photo inside text
                  sbausman01 Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I've been trying it out.  I think I need some sleep before I plug on.  Did one of you say you can't have multiple photos?  Do the photos have to be in one layer and kind of linked already before the mask can be set?   I feel like there should be a way to place the multiple photos in and move them around so it's not so permanent before you hit the mask button.  Does that make sense?

• 6. Re: How do you place a photo inside text

s,

Do the photos have to be in one layer and kind of linked already before the mask can be set?

No.

I feel like there should be a way to place the multiple photos in and move them around so it's not so permanent before you hit the mask button.  Does that make sense?

You may move one or more of the images at any time, by selecting it/them with the Direct Selection Tool, if nothing is in the way, or by selecting it/them in the Layers palette/panel. Obviously, you may also move it/them when using the Opacity Mask.

Obviously, the photos should overlap between the letters, but apart from that you may adjust freely.