18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2015 2:49 AM by [Jongware] RSS

I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5

GeoData89 Community Member

Hi all,

I can't seem to open any PDF files of any version while using InDesign CS5...

I'm currently running InDesign in Windows 7 Professional x32bit...

This message keeps popping up:

Cannot open the file "TIG_Sheet_and_Application.pdf". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

I've made sure that the file was not open in any application, and its not just this particular pdf files... all PDF files can't be opened. The only thing that actually opens in InDesign are the indd files...

I try going through the plug-in list, but there's a bunch and I'm not sure which one is it...

Tried google search for a solution but found no solution...

Can anyone help me?

Cheers,

• 1. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
          pardalek Community Member

Hi,

InDesign can only "Place" PDF files into graphic frames. Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

//Adam

• 2. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
            [Jongware] CommunityMVP

"The only thing that actually opens in InDesign are the indd files..."

No surprises here. (Actually, it can also "open" IDML files, but that's no consolation.)

• 3. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
              darrelltwo Community Member

Considering PDF is supposed to be this awesome universal packed up file format that most other applications out there (even Open Office) can open and edit, it seems silly that InDesign can't. I have plenty of clients that have Photoshop, but few that have InDesign, so they can't make edits to InDesign files directly.

• 4. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                [Jongware]-9BC6tI Community Member

Now that's a short-sighted and provable plain wrong comment. I have lots of other applications that cannot open and edit PDFs. I also have lots of PDFs that cannot be opened and edited with tools that are specifically designed to work with PDFs.

Photoshop, for instance, cannot "open and edit" PDF. If you think it does: fine. It only proves you don't know what Photoshop does when "opening" a PDF.

Illustrator can "open and edit" fairly most PDFs, but again: if you think you are opening, then editing, the original PDF, you only prove you don't know what Illustrator does when "opening" a PDF.

InDesign is not designed as, nor has it ever been advertised as, a tool to "open and edit" PDF.

• 5. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                  Dirk Becker  Community Member

Missing features are plugin product opportunities for others.

This forum is the place where external developers discuss technical issues of their plugins.

So if you are searching for a possible solution, you might consider

http://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/pdf-to-indesign.htm

Disclaimer: I never have used the PDF2ID product and have no other relations to it.

Alternatively, there is also the forum dedicated to InDesign feature requests.

Dirk

• 6. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                    Capt. Mac Community Member

Click on the InDesign program icon to launch the application.

Select "File" from the InDesign menu bar.

Pull down the menu to "New" to open a new InDesign document. The "New Document" window will open.

Select "Page Size" (preferably the same size as your PDF document).

Select either horizontal or vertical "Orientation" (preferably the same orientation as your PDF document).

Leave the "Columns" or "Margins" selections as is.

Click "OK" to open the new, blank InDesign document.

Locate the "File" menu again, and pull down the menu to "Place."

Select the location of the PDF you wish to open from the "Place" window that opens.

Double-click on the PDF file to open the "Importing" progress bar.

Place your cursor, which will have changed from an arrow to an arrow with an Adobe logo, precisely at the position you wish your PDF to be placed, and click.

Reposition the PDF on the page to your liking, or resize if needed.

Select "Save" from the InDesign file menu to save your new document to the preferred location on your computer, or select "Print" from the InDesign file menu to print the document.

• Read more: How Do You Open a PDF in InDesign? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6012985_do-open-pdf-indesign_.html#ixzz1XCxHhHle

• 7. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                      greenbluewave Community Member

>Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

BECAUSE WE WANT TO.  THX

• 8. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                        [Jongware] CommunityMVP

greenbluewave wrote:

>Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

BECAUSE WE WANT TO.  THX

That is not a good reason. Even typing in capitals doesn't make it so.

Do you also want to be able to "open" PSD files in InDesign? Illustrator? Word? Excel? AutoCAD? Maya 3D? GarageBand? Any of these programs can export some data format that InDesign, in turn, can import. For every sucker person that "NEEDS" to be able to 'open' a PDF, there is another one who "NEEDS" to 'open' a GarageBand file in ID, for pretty much the same reasons.

• 9. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                          greenbluewave Community Member

[Jongware], it's a usability thing; You wouldn't understand.

Also, if you don't have anything constructive to add to a help board, then why bother?  You only succeed in frustrating people that are looking for answers to their specific issuesYou may not have any reason to import a PDF into InDesign, but that doesn't mean that others don't have good reasons for doing so and we don't have to explain ourselves to YOU.  (whoops, I used caps again, I'm so very sorry)

• 10. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                            [Jongware] CommunityMVP

> You may not have any reason to import a PDF into InDesign, but that doesn't mean that others don't have good reasons for doing so...

You are missing the point of the OP's request. In fact, I import PDFs into InDesign almost every working day. The OP (and follow-uppers) are ranting about the "shortcoming" that InDesign cannot *open* and *edit* any PDF.

There are *huge* differences between being able to *import* and being able to *edit* a file. InDesign, for example can import a PNG file -- but you cannot edit it.

• 11. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                              David Dilling Community Member

We have a tool, PDF2DTP, which will convert Illusttrator and PDF to InDesign. That is the way to go, with a third-party plugin like PDF2DTP. Here is a video demonstration:

• 12. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                tazsmith Community Member

why are you being a rude for no reason, i came across this thread as im also trying to open a pdf. in ID and i think you'll find that its very common to open magazine templates in indesign in order to place images in the format, you're not as smart as you think mate

• 13. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                  ian76coupe Community Member

Hi tazsmith.

Yup, some grumpy and rude people on here for sure! Hopefully I can help you though.

I had the same problem today re placing pdf's into CS5 which I use all the time for this.

I found a solution online which worked for me.

When placing (File/Place) check the Show Import Options. Then after the file is selected and the next dialogue box comes up, check your Crop To options. You won't be able to place a pdf if your Crop To option is greyed out. Instead, select one that is not. I use the top one now, Bounding Box (Visible Layers Only).

This fixed my issue - hop e it does for you too.

Cheers.

• 14. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                    Paul Chadha Community Member

I represent Recosoft the makers of PDF2ID (www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id). You can place a PDF into InDesign. But it wont be editable. If your idea is to "convert" the PDF to an editable InDesign file then you need to look no further then PDF2ID as it will convert the PDF to a fully editable InDesign document (complete with tables, URL, paragraphs, threaded text frames, automatically separates text, tables and graphics into layers). There are many editions (low cost US$99.99 to US$299) depending on your needs. I've posted a Youtube video here for you.

PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign CS4-CS6, InDesign CC and InDesign CC 2014 - YouTube

• 15. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                      laurab45391940 Community Member

People, don't listen to this person he/she doesn't know what they're are talking about. I too am experiencing the same issues opening none Indesign files, I also get the same pop up too. And yes I would like to import a psd.\pdf files to Indesign, because that's what Indesign is for. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Also to note, I am using the trial, maybe that's why I can't open any files?

• 16. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                        krystlew43750049 Community Member

I'm currently having the same issue of opening, (or, "opening", as you say) PDFs with InDesign, and my reason is this: I'm attempting to open a tri-fold vinyl template to layout my album artwork. If anyone, (yourself included, if you can refrain from unleashing too much snark), has any suggestions on how I should go about it, or if I should purchase different software, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers.

• 17. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                          Test Screen Name CommunityMVP

It doesn't open. It does PLACE PDF files. Try that - make a new blank PDF, and place the PDF in it, it might do what you need. However, I think templates are sold for use in Illustrator.

• 18. Re: I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5
                                            [Jongware] CommunityMVP

krystlew, and others reading this thread and considering the answers "snarky" or "not helpful": note that this is the InDesign SDK forum -- that is, a question posted here should be about programming for InDesign:

About this Forum

The InDesign SDK forum is for discussions on InDesign plugin development using the InDesign SDK. InDesign plugins are developed in C++.

Presumably, you found this discussion because the error message lead you here: that you cannot "open" a PDF. That's InDesign's usual message for all content that it cannot 'open' with the command "File > Open..."; try for example with a Word document, a JPEG image, or an Excel spreadsheet. InDesign is perfectly able to import these files -- but you cannot use "File > Open...". You must use the command "File > Place..." instead. "Placing a PDF" is described in the online Help: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/placing-graphics.html

It is a regular User Interface question and so unrelated to what this forum is for. General InDesign questions can be asked in the regular user forum: https://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/content

I believe that the original question was posted in error in this forum and thus got interpreted as "what do I need to code to natively open PDFs". The answer is: lots. InDesign does not provide anything to natively read a PDF, so you would have to program literally everything.

(Some of the other posts ask why InDesign cannot already do this -- and the answer is, "Because It Is Incredibly Hard". The counterargument I usually give is that InDesign can also import (place) and export JPEG images and yet it is not a JPEG Editor. I can provide technical arguments as well. One is, there are lots of ways to construct PDFs in such a way that important content information is lost -- even something as basic as "what text is actually here".

... So, kudo's to Markzware for making it possible anyway! If you found this post because you need to convert a PDF file to a native, editable InDesign document, try their software.)