0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 2:39 AM by Davdi1982

Flex from Flash point of view

Davdi1982

Hi at all, I'm an Flash Developer since many years.

I have start Flash Builder (Flex 4) this week and i have see the difference with Flash

and i want to share you my 2cent about.

1) Code
          Flash Builder is very code-oriented than Flash. If you need to create code-oriented application,

than choose Flash Builder.

2) Graphical

Flash Builder have very poor graphical environmental. I can't create visually a Rect but i can create it from MXML: WHY?

I can't create visually an animation (with frame), but i can create it with Catalyst and than import it in Flex but i have not

a roundtrip so if i modify the animation (add code) and than try to re-open it in Catalyst i see an error.

3) Pages

Create a pages it's easy with Flash Builder and than more complex in Flash.

Create a pages with sub-pages it's easy again with Flash Builder and more-more complex with Flash.

Create a pages with sub-pages with sub-pages it's easy again with Flash Builder, but more-more-more complex with Flash.

4) Debug

Flash Builder it's great. Flash ... not so great.

5) Integration with Illustrator

I have see that Catalyst can import VERY WELL illustrator. Than Flash no.

6) Event Oriented Interaction

Flash Builder is great with Bind {myListBox.selectedItem.surname}, than Flash no.

7) Integration with Server Side

Flash Builder (with WebOrb 4 beta) can use intellisense of server-side .Net Dll very well. Than Flash no (no sure of that).

8) Animations inside a App

Very poor in Flash Builder. Flash is the best on this.

9) Integration with Catalyst:

Flash can't do it. Flash Builder can import it but not re-export it for edit again in Catalyst.

I think (but i'm not sure) that i workaroud is to WRAP any catalyst component. So if the component change, than the 'code' is saved.

I think that code-behind tecnology of .Net can be a better paradigma to use in Flash Builder+Catalyst.

I think that if in the future Flash Builder will support animations or BETTER integration with Catalyst (round-trip please!), than

Flash Builder will be the BEST EDITOR for writing applications. Actually I have fear to use Flash Builder because the RIA that i develop

may change graphical element in that while i develop the app.

Very congratulations at Flash Builder team because i see a very very great Tools.

D.